Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are the LED option headlights worth £1750?

Are the upgrade LED headlights option worth £1750?

• Yes

Votes: 62 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • Dont know

Votes: 10 9.6%

• Total voters
MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just a quick poll as its a ridiculously priced option so a massive investment for me and suppose emany people so would like to hear from people who have paid it and people who have the standard lights and if you could order again, would have paid the £1750 for LED lights option??

No, they are not worth that. But the DRL's do look cool and not to say you shouldn't opt for them.

They are very bright, but you do get flashed by oncoming drivers as they have a sharp cut off and bumps in the road can make it look like you are flashing them.

The standard lights in our older Cali were adequate for what we used it for. But I would probably option the LED's for the road presence the DRL's give the van.

Been asked a number of times before and the forum is split. I didn't have them before, got them now and I'd pay for them. Not because they are 'must have' but because they are nice to have plus I'm pretty sure when I come to sell they will be preferable to one that doesn't have them.

Anyway, you can see the difference below (should be obvious). As you can see, the light is brighter and spreads wider (see either side of the pavement). Useful for dogs/kids on the way home from school in winter etc.

LED pic1.jpg

LED 2.jpg

LED 3.jpg

Just a quick poll as its a ridiculously priced option so a massive investment for me and suppose emany people so would like to hear from people who have paid it and people who have the standard lights and if you could order again, would have paid the £1750 for LED lights option??

No. We have the LED lights on our Beach. Had I understood at the time that the Beach's standard H4 lights could be upgraded to H7 with the exterior pack we would have gone for that.

We sold five of Meg's six puppies to fund the LED lights.

e4138f46bd09632b8779bec9596fd195.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Oh I just love mine :shocked

This is me driving home from the local whist drive the other night ......

searchlights.png

Been asked a number of times before and the forum is split. I didn't have them before, got them now and I'd pay for them. Not because they are 'must have' but because they are nice to have plus I'm pretty sure when I come to sell they will be preferable to one that doesn't have them.

Anyway, you can see the difference below (should be obvious). As you can see, the light is brighter and spreads wider (see either side of the pavement). Useful for dogs/kids on the way home from school in winter etc.

View attachment 35292

View attachment 35295

View attachment 35294

There a brilliant exampke! Thanks for thr photos and that's alot of dogs to trade just for some lights but sppose st coukd help residuals though. Like you said, it does seem very split, at 50/50 n the poll.

There a brilliant exampke! Thanks for thr photos and that's alot of dogs to trade just for some lights but sppose st coukd help residuals though. Like you said, it does seem very split, at 50/50 n the poll.

Those photo compare H7 bulb's to LED's (the standard Beach comes with even weaker H4 bulbs).

At £1,750 I doubt anyone will tell you they are a bargain not to be missed. Only you know if you'll either regret spending so much, or regret not spending the extra. It's a tough choice. For me, I would get them again.....for others though they are a waste of money, and I can understand that.

LED lights must be cheap to produce these days, particularly compared to HID headlights, so I think they are an overpriced option on the Cali which is available as standard on many main stream cheaper cars. They should really be stantard fitment.

There is a company out there selling aftermarket headlights. You get the look (DRL) but you get the halogen projector lenses. Best of both worlds at a quarter of the price?!

What compmy is that then?

No, they are not worth that. But the DRL's do look cool and not to say you shouldn't opt for them.

They are very bright, but you do get flashed by oncoming drivers as they have a sharp cut off and bumps in the road can make it look like you are flashing them.

I am driving for over two years now with the LEDs now. Never been flashed by oncoming drivers at night!

Had I understood at the time that the Beach's standard H4 lights could be upgraded to H7 with the exterior pack we would have gone for that.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Had I realised at the time of ordering my first beach that the exterior pack was fog lights and the Ocean H7 headlights included I definitely would of specified the exterior pack.

I am driving for over two years now with the LEDs now. Never been flashed by oncoming drivers at night!
Yes, correction, now you mention it, I haven’t in the Cali I don’t think. My car also has them together with a “dynamic light system” and that’s where I get flashed. DSL is supposed to have automatic dip but it’s not perfect.

Its all relative to what is affordable to you.
To some £1750 is easier to part with than for others.
In real terms, H4's are deemed safe enough, H7's are brighter and then there are LED's which I'd consider a luxury but far from essential.
No doubt they look great, work great and if someone else was paying then fine I'd take them.
But on my Budget I'd struggle to justify another £500 let alone £1750 for the benefits/asthetics.
Your milage may vary as they say!!!

Last edited:
Had I realised at the time of ordering my first beach that the exterior pack was fog lights and the Ocean H7 headlights included I definitely would of specified the exterior pack.

Good to hear, Ive just been hunting for photos of the actual difference in lights as there seen on the calo beach....

1.) StandardScreenshot_20180706-225507_Chrome.jpg

2.) Exterior pack with foglihhts and ocean headlightsScreenshot_20180706-225629_Chrome.jpg
3.) And LEDsScreenshot_20180706-225357_Chrome.jpg

View attachment 35292

View attachment 35295

View attachment 35294
so . who drove through those exact same spots with 2 different sets of headlights and took pics? no one.

I was tempted with ordering the fog lights first time around but had I known for another £70 odd quid you could get the fogs and H7 I definitely would of ordered them.

I've got the LEDs on my Edition now but as I do very little night time driving, i would only order the Exterior pack if I had to order again.

I was tempted with ordering the fog lights first time around but had I known for another £70 odd quid you could get the fogs and H7 I definitely would of ordered them.

I've got the LEDs on my Edition now but as I do very little night time driving, i would only order the Exterior pack if I had to order again.

Thank you, your edition versions looks great though!!!

Yes, they do look great but they are daylight robbery at £1700!

View attachment 35304

Well i suppose if im paying £500 for an external pack, its then £1200 difference, think im trying to convince myself into getting them. NO MARK!!!!!!:mute:mute:sorry

Yeah and if your getting approx 8-10% discount, it's only around £1500, so a bargain! Go for it!

+ VW have increased the deposit contribution to 2 grand this quarter so if you buy on a PCP deal, it's a grand more than last week meaning that you get the LEDs for about 500 quid!

We hadn't ordered them, they were on our demonstrator when we got it, but having had them I am much happier driving at night. Driving with 'conventional' headlights is now like driving with candles.
They are a superb upgrade, but would I have ordered them? Really not sure. There are other things that we also got that were expensive, really nice alloys, for example, that I would have spoilt within days parking where I do. But having had the LED lights I would miss not having them, but I don't use the auto dip feature as it seems to leave it very late before dipping and annoys oncoming drivers.

The cost for adding LEDs may seem high but the retail cost of the components is £1500+. There are loads of posts on the T6 forum of people retrofitting. Each lamp unit is ~£500 and then there the levelling system which halogen lamps don’t have. I had H4s on the demo I bought and thought they were poor so changed to some H7 units I got off eBay. Noticeably better. If specing new I’d probably have the exterior pack.

Back