Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are the LED option headlights worth £1750?

Are the upgrade LED headlights option worth £1750?

• Yes

Votes: 62 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • Dont know

Votes: 10 9.6%

• Total voters
I'm confused about this too.
I have the the standard MY 18 Ocean and other than the standard on/off lights throughout the vehicle it has....
A dimming light in the tailgate
The kitchen cupboard lights
The dimming strip light under the kitchen top
2 dimming lights in the pop top.
I believe these are all additions since the MY 17 (along with the split work top)

So as this is now standard, where or what type are the 'comfoft package' lights?
Does it have lights in the door panels and at foot level in the cab ?

Just a quick poll as its a ridiculously priced option so a massive investment for me and suppose emany people so would like to hear from people who have paid it and people who have the standard lights and if you could order again, would have paid the £1750 for LED lights option??

Word of WARNING.

We have a Toyota Land Cruiser (150) fitted with LED lights as standard, I noticed however that there was no mention of this or replacement bulbs in the Owner’s Handbook so I contacted Toyota.

The answer was that there was no info as it wasn’t possible to change a bulb you had to change the complete headlight unit!!!

When we ordered our Cali we didn’t tick the LED option.

I believe that LED bulbs are much more reliable than Halogen etc.., but I would advise anybody considering this option to check that they can replace the bulbs if necessary.

I believe that LED bulbs are much more reliable than Halogen etc.., but I would advise anybody considering this option to check that they can replace the bulbs if necessary.
Working with LED lights in industry I would say LED ltg is good but there can be a lot of failures, especially after 2/3 years.

Does it have lights in the door panels and at foot level in the cab ?
Not sure about the footwells (I'll check later) but definitely nothing on the door panels.

Our 2016 Ocean came with dimmable poptop & boot lights as standard ,not added option.
Living in Dartmoor,narrow country lanes, the standard headlights are poor when driving at night. Would add the LED for sure next time.

Last edited:
Not sure about the footwells (I'll check later) but definitely nothing on the door panels.
Mine has comfort lighting and has dimmable lights in the roof tailgate footwells and door panels it’s a nice touch but it was something that had to be added when ordering the shower glad because it is a nice feature

Thanks @Jay17cali
Sounds like thats the difference then.
I remember seeing that it was bundled in with the shower attachment.

The LEDs used in the latest motor vehicles have a 60,000 hour lifespan. This is what Mercedes and BWW claim so I suspect Volkswagen is the same.

The LEDs used in the latest motor vehicles have a 60,000 hour lifespan. This is what Mercedes and BWW claim so I suspect Volkswagen is the same.

Well that would be great if true, that would mean if you drove 8 hours a day with the lights on every day, they would last 20 years! Seems to good to be true!

Well that would be great if true, that would mean if you drove 8 hours a day with the lights on every day, they would last 20 years! Seems to good to be true!

Somewhere from the vaults of my memory, I have it stored that LEDs slowly fade over time: they don't blow.

As age decays it, my memory is more and more frequently confused.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Somewhere from the vaults of my memory, I have it stored that LEDs slowly fade over time: they don't blow.

As age decays it, my memory is more and more frequently confused.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
Lumen output does fade with time and quite noticeably, obviously depends how much use they get.

I suspect if they failed at a tenth of that time the manufacturer would claim fair wear and tear and/or misuse.

I suspect if they failed at a tenth of that time the manufacturer would claim fair wear and tear and/or misuse.
After 3 yrs you're on your own, unless you have the 5 yr warranty.

I looked at Led's carefully which were a 1,605 euro option at the time I placed my order. Despite quotes of 60,000 hrs longevity, any repair costs would be enormous should they fail out of the guarantee period. Replacing a set of decent H7 bulbs at 30(ish) euros sealed the deal for me.

What put me off was the cost of replacing a damaged unit. My sisters E class suffered a stone breakage and the repair costs was frightening. Windscreen breakage cover is included in insurance without harming your no claims - headlamps are not. Almost all of my driving is in areas without street lighting and I find the H7's fine.

Just a quick poll as its a ridiculously priced option so a massive investment for me and suppose emany people so would like to hear from people who have paid it and people who have the standard lights and if you could order again, would have paid the £1750 for LED lights option??
There are many options I would not have specified if I were not a member of this wonderful club - LED’s, heated screen, towbar, DSG, winter tyres tailgate bike rack, towbar bike rack etc. Thank you California Owners Club, thanks for helping me see the (LED) light. Now, let me finish reading the thread about 4 motion & the new 198 bhp engine, I may need to upgrade my order again!!

Last edited:
A pal had a led light replacement on a c63 merc.wow it was stupid money LED’s are great if your In warranty but for Cali’s Our of warranty I would be very nervous about them packing in......as for the hours they last I bought a led bulb in the house apparently it would still be going in 5 yrs and it lasted 6 weeks less than a standard bulb.it.ill stick with my normal bulbs for simplicity there’s already plenty of other stuff that can go wrong

A pal had a led light replacement on a c63 merc.wow it was stupid money LED’s are great if your In warranty but for Cali’s Our of warranty I would be very nervous about them packing in......as for the hours they last I bought a led bulb in the house apparently it would still be going in 5 yrs and it lasted 6 weeks less than a standard bulb.it.ill stick with my normal bulbs simplicity camping
Thats exactly my thought process after reading all the posts. Im planning to keep Cali for many years so weighing up the life cost cycle and LEDs great, but can imagine VERY expensive out of warranty to replace. The exterior pack with H7 bulbs seems a good bet for £450 so will stick with that option as also get fog lights. :) A H7 bulb is only £5 from Halfords, not sure how much a LED bulb is if that stops working, but bet its its not £5?

Thats exactly my thought process after reading all the posts. Im planning to keep Cali for many years so weighing up the life cost cycle and LEDs great, but can imagine VERY expensive out of warranty to replace.

... But what if the engine has to be replaced out of warrenty?
You should not buy such a expensive vehicle

There are many options I would not have specified if I were not a member of this wonderful club - LED’s, heated screen, towbar, DSG, winter tyres tailgate bike rack, towbar bike rack etc. Thank you California Owners Club, thanks for helping me see the (LED) light. Now, let me finish reading the thread about 4 motion & the new 198 bhp engine, I may need to change my order again!!

You sound as excited as me waiting for mine!!!! :-D

... But what if the engine has to be replaced out of warrenty?
You should not buy such a expensive vehicle
The engine is pretty much essential they generally don’t blow up if u drive them well and service them often it’s a commercial vehicle made to do many miles (hopefully)

Back