Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are the LED option headlights worth £1750?

Are the upgrade LED headlights option worth £1750?

• Yes

Votes: 62 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • Dont know

Votes: 10 9.6%

• Total voters
No no no
Just not worth the money.
Then again, a lot of options not worth having.

As a campervan, there are lots of options that don’t add anything to the camping experience.
However, comfort lighting. That’s definitely one to tick, although should be standard

I have the LED and the pictures Moaksey posted illustrates the benefit. And remember that you can adjust the lights for left hand/right hand driving by a tick in a box on the MFD. I see that as handy coming from Denmark and now driving around in Ireland. And you get automatic levelling.
So a very good addition to the car. If it is worth it will always be a personal choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. How have you found the overall experience of the beach since you have had it @Zebra as you have the same model and engine i have orderd? Any options you wish you did get and ones you did get but not bothered about. Thanks

No no no
Just not worth the money.
Then again, a lot of options not worth having.

As a campervan, there are lots of options that don’t add anything to the camping experience.
However, comfort lighting. That’s definitely one to tick, although should be standard

Wow @soulstyledevon your picture profile looks amazing, them mountains!!!!!!!!! Got to ask, what is comfort lighting?

Yes, thats was the first thing i added (with remote), 3 zone air con, and parking sensors, seems to be an absolute must these options and really help residuals (and learned this from these forums and tou Cali Gurus :thumb:thumb:thumb)

We drive through Europe a lot and I must say I do love the fact you can change them to LHD with a few clicks in the menu, no more sticking on beam deflectors and sticky residue to clean after

Didnt even think of that! Hasn't even crossed my mind so good point!!!! Thanks

Your in for a penny in for a pound with these vans anyway so don't have any regrets! :thumb

so . who drove through those exact same spots with 2 different sets of headlights and took pics? no one.

How rude, but hey.....but nice try at trolling, so :thanks for that.

:)

Who drove through the exact same spot? Well, it is outside my house and really wasn't much of a bother. I was selling my T5 and already had my new T6, so why not spend a few minutes of my evening to try and help people on this forum. Better than not contributing, right?

The shots were screen grabs from some video I shot...

And very kind of you to do that @Moakesy Thank you very much, greatly appreciated!!!!! And im sure many who find this thread will also be grateful!!!

Like others they came with the Demo Cali I bought, I do like them, maybe look at it this way, when you own the Cali you get the enhanced safety & when you sell a better price.
But whatever you do have that heater

Who drove through the exact same spot? Well, it is outside my house and really wasn't much of a bother. I was selling my T5 and already had my new T6, so why not spend a few minutes of my evening to try and help people on this forum. Better than not contributing, right?

Well I've never known Flying Banana to beat around the bush and I think I know what he was getting at as there are many doctored photos on the web claiming night and day results from sites selling bulbs. I guess he thought yours were along those lines and made a boo boo this time ;).
The video really helps too!
The question is now, who isn't happy with the performance of the H6 lights? I assume they aren't as good as the H7s ?

Wow @soulstyledevon your picture profile looks amazing, them mountains!!!!!!!!! Got to ask, what is comfort lighting?

Adds the lighting in the poptop and a few other places around the rear cab.
Should be standard in my opinion. But VW want extra.

Do you not get any lighting i the pop top then otherwise?

Re LED headlight, are you using the Cali as a main vehicle? how much night use etc, will determine if they are worth it for you. Expensive but very good and nice drl's as Motorcyclist said. They will not add that much to the value when it comes to selling though, just makes yours a tad more desirable than one without. A lot of these extras aren't cheap and soon add up, not many actually affect or enhance the camping experience and ultimately it is your pocket that should decide. :thumb

Adds the lighting in the poptop and a few other places around the rear cab.
Should be standard in my opinion. But VW want extra.
I'm confused about this too.
I have the the standard MY 18 Ocean and other than the standard on/off lights throughout the vehicle it has....
A dimming light in the tailgate
The kitchen cupboard lights
The dimming strip light under the kitchen top
2 dimming lights in the pop top.
I believe these are all additions since the MY 17 (along with the split work top)

So as this is now standard, where or what type are the 'comfoft package' lights?

Hi Everyone .
My Cali came with standard H7’s. At the time of order I did think of maybe the led’s but the cost I thought was a bit too hefty.
The standard H7’s did an ok job and lit up the road as good as most cars. However I did upgrade the H7’s with a brighter version (I think from Philips) for around £35 in total. They made a good improvement to the standard of which I am happy with.

I guess as technology advances prices may bring initial costs down.

My only criticism I find with leds is that when a vehicle following me in my car (which is considerably lower than the Cali) has leds fitted they tend to dazzle from behind when going over bridges and some other eneven surfaces.

Thanks everyone. How have you found the overall experience of the beach since you have had it @Zebra as you have the same model and engine i have orderd? Any options you wish you did get and ones you did get but not bothered about. Thanks

Well the demo was fairly loaded so I’m delighted. This is the best thing I’ve ever bought the whole family love it. Apart from the lights, options which are great are: parking heater with remote, heated windscreen (I live in Aberdeen and use the Beach everyday), 3 zone climate. Options I’d reconsider after owning: Privacy glass isn’t dark enough, go plain and tint aftermarket. Comfort dash, it’s nice but not sure I’d pay the extra. Sat nav is fine but again you might be just as good going with a phone and Connect. Things I’d like: washer level indicator, heated nozzles, all season tyres. As you can see it’s all trivial stuff really.

Last edited:

Very helpful, thank you for taking the trouble to do this. There have been a lot of threads before on this subject, but your video clearly shows the difference between the different types of lights.
The only time I have found them unhelpful is driving when snow is falling. They are so powerful it was like driving into a white blanket. I found it difficult to find a suitable combination of fog lights and dipped headlights that worked.

I wouldn’t have been without them driving through France recently at night. Dodged 2 deer and a few foxes. Saves a fortune on repair

Good afternoon,

If I would have the money I would go for them. Never the less I am happy H7.

What I asked myself is about the cost for replacement LEDs and if I damage the car and have to pay for the new LED lights.

It seems that all repairs are rather expensive on the California.

Regards,
Eberhard

Back