Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aux heater

Lunny2112

Lunny2112

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Total newbie. Thinking of ordering a Beach with aux heater; does this supply heat to the interior when hooked up at a site?

Hi and welcome , you'l need no hook-up it runs on the battery and diesel...

The heater is a webasto diesel heater, it will supply hot air into the living area even when not on hook up.

Hook up is not required to run the heater , it will work on the diesel in your fuel tank, they are brilliant but simple and effective

Neither requires hook up ! Both run on the diesel in the fuel tank !

I’m sure the op means parking heater in the context of heat to the interior

IMO The webasto parking heater is a must for Cali camping,
I have both Aux & parking.
I would not be without the parking heater in a camper vehicle
Lunny there is a mass of resource to reaseach on this forum, their ar3 many threads on parking heater and the virtues of having one.

A beach with just the aux heater will only blower cool air when engine not running or warm air if engine is warm from main battery, otherwise it works when the engine is running (Bit old school really) this is in the rear only separate from the cab.
A parking heater will keep you warm from the diesel tank if it was chosen as an extra from factory or retro fitted.

Auxiliary heater heats re-engineering coolant and operates under5 degrees
It is used to bring the engine up to operating temperature more quickly
The”rest” function “ uses the heat already in the system to heat the cab area only for up to 30 minutes after the engine is turned off.

Suggest you DYOR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, and thanks for all the replies. So, if we're hooked up at a site, can the interior be heated without a parking heater?

Hi, and thanks for all the replies. So, if we're hooked up at a site, can the interior be heated without a parking heater?

Yes, there is a 13A socket in the Beach which is only live when on hookup so you can run a fan heater or an oil filled radiator from that.

OK, so there's no heater built into the vehicle that runs off the electric hook up? There was one in a motorhome we rented last year, it blew warm air out of a several ducts.

OK, so there's no heater built into the vehicle that runs off the electric hook up? There was one in a motorhome we rented last year, it blew warm air out of a several ducts.
All Se and Oceans have a parking heater that operates from the house batteries/diesel tank, runs for days off grid, the Beach model can be fitted with such a system but it is an expensive option. When on hookup the house batteries are charged and you can use an electric heater to take advantage of the paid for/free site hook up.

Correct, there's no built-in electric heater on a Cali. It's either use the diesel parking heatre, or plug in a small aftermarket fan heater or oil fitted rad.

[EDIT] PS... the diesel heater is brilliant, uses very little fuel and doesn't need to run continuously unless you're somewhere utterly Arctic.

Correct no built in heater electric or otherwise.
If you intend to only stay on sites with electric hookup then a small mains, thermostatically controlled, heater. Fan, ceramic or oil filled is the cheapest option.

If you don't intend to stay on electric hook up sites then an factory fitted cabin diesel heater is the best option. These can be independently fitted later but better factory fitted which would probably be cheaper.

California doesn't have the internal space for all the 'luxury' items found in Motorhomes.

I would recommend getting the parking heater for a beach, you can add it after but it doesn't really work out cheaper and factory will always beat an install imho.

As others have said you can get an upgrade to the Webasto coolant heater which helps the van warm up in cold weather, the upgrade will give you 30 mins max of heating via a remote. Its designed to prewarm the vehicle not heat it really. It runs from the engine battery so is restricted to protect your battery.

The parking heater (used to be a eberspacher I think but may be webasto now) will vent into the rear of the van and will run from the leisure battery. This too can have a remote or a manual control.

Last edited:
Parking heater is utterly brilliant -- turns the van into a home.

Would recommend this 100% -- I went for the factory one when ordering my BEACH new and although not cheap, neither is the van!!

Thanks for all the really helpful replies, definitely going to spec. the parking heater.

Back