Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

No more Fiats I’m afraid. Been there…

The Norantz looks a fantastic bit of kit. Probably out of my price range.
I’m inclined to stick with Hymer, if we buy another converted as our last one had zero issues.
They all need a bit of fettling to suit. I had decided the Fiat needed to much as it wasn’t a platform I enjoyed driving. I’m sure we could make the Sprinter work, but I’m swaying towards the Volkswagen. They still make the best driver focused van.

Having a van converted to our requirements means we get exactly what we want, but will probably never see a return in the money spent. At least with Hymer we should see the majority of our money back depending on how long it’s kept.

Last edited:
It very nice, but only sleeps 3 and wide / long.

Prefer these (minus the graphics!) with a pop top:

I would absolutely consider the MLT series, but it’s geared towards people who spend months away. If I was retired and travelling more. It would be on my hotlist.

For us, we need something thats fast, reliable, compact but still has a bit more space than a California.

After our experience with the Hymer. We have decided there will be no return to Cali-life. Can’t fault the 20+ years we had in our T series vans . Just enjoy having a bit more room and comfortable fixed beds and standing room. Completely changed the camping experience.

I would absolutely consider the MLT series, but it’s geared towards people who spend months away. If I was retired and travelling more. It would be on my hotlist.

For us, we need something thats fast, reliable, compact but still has a bit more space than a California.

After our experience with the Hymer. We have decided there will be no return to Cali-life. Can’t fault the 20+ years we had in our T series vans . Just enjoy having a bit more room and comfortable fixed beds and standing room. Completely changed the camping experience.
Think we have narrowed it down to a Nugget Plus (Shame no High roof) or Club Joker. Then would most probably remap the engine & autobox.

Knaus Boxdrive XL is very nice (and it’s a VW engine)…but maybe a bit too long for our needs. Toilet would only get used now & again.

Think we have narrowed it down to a Nugget Plus (Shame no High roof) or Club Joker. Then would most probably remap the engine & autobox.

Knaus Boxdrive XL is very nice (and it’s a VW engine)…but maybe a bit too long for our needs. Toilet would only get used now & again.

I think the Nugget plus with high roof is a very interesting design.
Shame they won’t release to the UK market.
The small toilet at the back and the placement of the kitchen is very clever.

If you are planning to use the Nugget Plus on the continent a lot might be worth considering importing a LHD.

Diesel heating, 170 bhp RWD
Couldn't justify expense of purchase and running cost of V6 190 bhp 4x4.
Never needed 4wd, RWD has coped with everything thrown at it.

Lovely colour.
Diesel or gas heating?
Is it 2wd
Building your own could be great and you could get what you need for you.
Downside is waiting time, maybe waiting for van from dealer and then waiting for the conversion company.
Hymer merc happy wife happy life, plus you are happy with build quality and I’m guessing the dealer service to be contemplating another hymer.
The sprinter it nicer looking van than a man/crafter.
Are merc dealers any good, or should I say any worse than VW.

Just took my like Suzuki for a 2mth/2k mile free check you get from new, the Kia/Suzuki main dealer was great.
Plus I did see that my £20k Suzuki gets door locks on both sides and a free service check.
First time I’ve had dealings with a main dealer and I it not being VW wallet stayed intact for a change.

Diesel heating, 170 bhp RWD
Couldn't justify expense of purchase and running cost of V6 190 bhp 4x4.
Never needed 4wd, RWD has coped with everything thrown at it.

This would be the spec we would aim for. Spot on IMO.
We saw a couple of the 4x4 vans a while back. They’re massive and total overkill for us. Probably for 90% of people who buy them too.

How about one of them.
Have you discounted a Ford trail as a base vanView attachment 113798

I’m not going to rule out the Ford just yet. Plan is try as many vans as possible and then consider what we want and for how long, plus price etc.

Staying with a typical German build means strong residuals, especially the Hymer and Knaus etc.
However, most have bathrooms and that’s something that really doesn’t work for me.

Outside shower works, most of our camping is camp sites. Trip to France last month, we did 3 nights off grid and that would be the most we would ever do.

Last edited:
I’m not going to rule out the Ford just yet. Plan is try as many vans as possible and then consider what we want and for how long, plus price etc.

Staying with a typical German build means strong residuals, especially the Hymer and Knaus etc.
However, most have bathrooms and that’s something that really doesn’t work for me.

Outside shower works, most of our camping is camp sites. Trip to France last month, we did 3 nights off grid and that would be the most we would ever do.
Let me know what you think of the Ford as next year I’ll be looking at a self build or hymer/joker/Sven but not keen on an expensive van after the last one didn’t go well.
Thinking £30-£40k base van and then slowly make something right for me. Could then go lithium bats/composting loo bike garage and pull out roof bed.
Problem with £80k plus vans they don’t really come with any of my wish list.

This would be the spec we would aim for. Spot on IMO.
We saw a couple of the 4x4 vans a while back. They’re massive and total overkill for us. Probably for 90% of people who buy them too.
You think they are over kill the amount of eu overlander trucks driving in the cairngorms at the moment is crazy.
I mean the big army type full on lucky to get 4-6mpg and will probably never get used for an Africa adventure.

Yes, the Norantz are expensive. There was one on Autotrader a few months ago. A 2020 reg with around 10,000 miles IIRC for £98.5k

It was however a dream spec - 4x4, diff lock, Siekel lift kit, Lazer lights in grille and at rear of roof. It also had a double passenger seat up front, so 5 belted seats, and the passenger bench in the rear folded - so 3 beds.

Basically our dream set up (family of 5) but out of our price range…

Saw this today, rather cool, converted fire truck.
As said very poor MPG and low maximum speed limit use.

PXL_20230901_094841119.jpg

PXL_20230901_094819228.jpg

Let me know what you think of the Ford as next year I’ll be looking at a self build or hymer/joker/Sven but not keen on an expensive van after the last one didn’t go well.
Thinking £30-£40k base van and then slowly make something right for me. Could then go lithium bats/composting loo bike garage and pull out roof bed.
Problem with £80k plus vans they don’t really come with any of my wish list.

Perhaps I’m getting too tight with money. But the prices are insane. I know everything is going up, but I’m struggling with the six figure van purchases.
The Hymer Crossover is £125k+ dependent on spec.

Im with you, I’m not sure the fixed layouts are for us.
A self-build could create something amazing at lower costs, plus have the flexibility we’re looking for.

New Wave have some good ideas, along with Dirty Weekender

IMG_9914.jpeg

IMG_9915.jpeg

IMG_9917.jpeg

IMG_9909.jpeg

I’ve not seen one in the flesh, but the guy seems very well regarded in the van world. Recently built this and I would say it’s an almost perfect build.
£130k and it was a manual…

All I can think is IKEA when I see a sea of MDF like that. The lower pic with the plywood is a little better but not by much. It all looks a bit homemade, but if that doesn't bother some people I say go for it.

Perhaps I’m getting too tight with money. But the prices are insane. I know everything is going up, but I’m struggling with the six figure van purchases.
The Hymer Crossover is £125k+ dependent on spec.

Im with you, I’m not sure the fixed layouts are for us.
A self-build could create something amazing at lower costs, plus have the flexibility we’re looking for.

New Wave have some good ideas, along with Dirty Weekender

View attachment 113823

View attachment 113824

View attachment 113825

View attachment 113826
I like the 2 berth crossover for sale at the mo, it’s a little cheaper only £115k :headbang
I’m definitely with you £80k was my limit when I bought that joker new, and turned out worse than all my secondhand ex hire vans I’ve owned.
A cheap van will do the job just as well if not better, less worrying about parking it in carparks, kids or dogs damaging it too.
Plus extra cash for more adventures.
Did get a great aftersales backup with new van, still haven’t decided will see what’s about next year.

Yep bought new joker from Zoe & Rob family run business (campersales), great aftersales and they didn’t up the the price like lots of dealers were.
Even bought van back as I couldn’t live with the issues and wasn’t out of pocket either.

Yep bought new joker from Zoe & Rob family run business (campersales), great aftersales and they didn’t up the the price like lots of dealers were.
Even bought van back as I couldn’t live with the issues and wasn’t out of pocket either.
They used to live in the same road as us, but moved a few years ago, so usually used to see a small selection of various classic older part-ex vans on their driveway on my walk to the station.

Have not purchased anything from them yet, but they have always been very helpful with upgrade advice to my old T4, current T5.1, and are always happy to pass on their suppliers details.

They have had an older used Joker at the moment which keeps getting my attention. Hoping that older Jokers are more reliable:

They used to live in the same road as us, but moved a few years ago, so usually used to see a small selection of various classic older part-ex vans on their driveway on my walk to the station.

Have not purchased anything from them yet, but they have always been very helpful with upgrade advice to my old T4, current T5.1, and are always happy to pass on their suppliers details.

They have had an older used Joker at the moment which keeps getting my attention. Hoping that older Jokers are more reliable:

My t6.1 was a dodgy covid build, just someone messed up (can happen on anything). The most important thing is getting it resolved which they did a good job.
My older t6 spent 3 1/2yrs travelling and near on living in it and was amazing.
Yep that is a nice van, if you can wangle a 6mth/1yr warranty on the camping westy stuff that will give you peace of mind.
I helped with arunalec making his mind up about a joker (think he’s still happy) he also bought from campersales.
That one has the extra storage easy access under bench seat had that on my t6 massive space for storing stuff.

Back