Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

Diesel heating, 170 bhp RWD
Couldn't justify expense of purchase and running cost of V6 190 bhp 4x4.
Never needed 4wd, RWD has coped with everything thrown at it.
Better than my old Mercedes E-class Coupe then. Any sign of rain or ice and it used to fish-tail like a salmon, especially on any kind of incline! Switched to a G-class 4 Matic after that for perma 4 wheel drive and still near 40 mpg.

They used to live in the same road as us, but moved a few years ago, so usually used to see a small selection of various classic older part-ex vans on their driveway on my walk to the station.

Have not purchased anything from them yet, but they have always been very helpful with upgrade advice to my old T4, current T5.1, and are always happy to pass on their suppliers details.

They have had an older used Joker at the moment which keeps getting my attention. Hoping that older Jokers are more reliable:

I love (and covet!) the Club Joker, as it would be perfect for my needs, but struggle to justify £55 grand for a van in it's EIGHTH YEAR!

I'm flabbergasted that this supposedly represents value - surely back in Jun 2016 it didn't cost much more than the £55k currently asked?

I love (and covet!) the Club Joker, as it would be perfect for my needs, but struggle to justify £55 grand for a van in it's EIGHTH YEAR!

I'm flabbergasted that this supposedly represents value - surely back in Jun 2016 it didn't cost much more than the £55k currently asked?

Exactly.
What’s changed…?
Not a lot. I guess that’s life. I had just as much fun in a £5k converted T4 as I did in a £55k Cali.
Granted, the Cali was a touch easier to live with. But now, that same van is £70k.

I’m sure there’s a ceiling price, but god only knows where that is…

My t6.1 was a dodgy covid build, just someone messed up (can happen on anything). The most important thing is getting it resolved which they did a good job.
My older t6 spent 3 1/2yrs travelling and near on living in it and was amazing.
Yep that is a nice van, if you can wangle a 6mth/1yr warranty on the camping westy stuff that will give you peace of mind.
I helped with arunalec making his mind up about a joker (think he’s still happy) he also bought from campersales.
That one has the extra storage easy access under bench seat had that on my t6 massive space for storing stuff.
Still happy! Just getting it “restocked” for a Highlands tour.

They used to live in the same road as us, but moved a few years ago, so usually used to see a small selection of various classic older part-ex vans on their driveway on my walk to the station.

Have not purchased anything from them yet, but they have always been very helpful with upgrade advice to my old T4, current T5.1, and are always happy to pass on their suppliers details.

They have had an older used Joker at the moment which keeps getting my attention. Hoping that older Jokers are more reliable:

Looks like someone has stumped up the lolly! It’s sold.

Can see your point, but we have always managed to sell our older campers for more than we paid for them. Prefer older vans as most niggles will have been sorted out under warranty by the previous owners and they will have already had their first battle scars.

That’s good for me….would have purchased if we had viewed it!..so will keep my cash for the moment.

Still split between that and a used LWB Nugget, with occasional thought of Knaus Boxdrive XL. Merc Hymer would be great but can’t justify the additional cost.

No more Fiats I’m afraid. Been there…

The Norantz looks a fantastic bit of kit. Probably out of my price range.
I’m inclined to stick with Hymer, if we buy another converted as our last one had zero issues.
They all need a bit of fettling to suit. I had decided the Fiat needed to much as it wasn’t a platform I enjoyed driving. I’m sure we could make the Sprinter work, but I’m swaying towards the Volkswagen. They still make the best driver focused van.

Having a van converted to our requirements means we get exactly what we want, but will probably never see a return in the money spent. At least with Hymer we should see the majority of our money back depending on how long it’s kept.
Why not Fiat? Can you say a bit more? Which one(s) did you have?

Why not Fiat? Can you say a bit more? Which one(s) did you have?

I just couldn’t get comfortable in the drivers seat. No matter how I adjusted it, I never found a comfortable driving position. Not enough support under the thigh. After 3 hrs I would get out and barely be able to walk.
I never experienced that amount of discomfort in the California.
I felt the engine was a bit underwhelming, not enough torque. Poor sound insulation on the panels, ugly poorly designed cab and controls and dire stereo sound quality.
Plus points:
Nice sat nav, better than VW
Auto gearbox worked well.

I wouldn’t buy another Fiat.

I just couldn’t get comfortable in the drivers seat. No matter how I adjusted it, I never found a comfortable driving position. Not enough support under the thigh. After 3 hrs I would get out and barely be able to walk.
I felt the engine was a bit underwhelming, not enough torque. Poor sound insulation on the panels, ugly poorly designed cab and controls and dire stereo sound quality.
Plus points:

Looked at a fiat la strada years ago, was great inside camping part but just couldn’t own a fiat (sorry any fiat owners reading this).
Would go for a Ford if I wanted cheap, I’m surprised hymer haven’t got a Ford Grand Canyon in the collection.
Still prefer a VW T over any other manufacturer

I’ll keep an eye out for you if you’re in the cairngorms, saying that I’m hoping to head to new forest soon to see my daughter and catch up with friends. So may pass you on the motorway, happy to swap jimny for yours ;)

Plus points:

Interesting that’s helpful to know, which model year was that? I heard the 2023 model is a big improvement over 2021 but haven’t looked in to it in any serious way

Last edited:
Interesting that’s helpful to know, which model year was that? I heard the 2023 model is a bit improvement over 2021 but haven’t looked in to it in any serious way
2022 latest series 8 Ducato.
Wasn’t my cup of tea. They seem popular over the continent and with Motorhome builders.
I have no idea why…

2022 latest series 8 Ducato.
Wasn’t my cup of tea. They seem popular over the continent and with Motorhome builders.
I have no idea why…
Readily available and cheap to maximise the profits of a build.

I sold my 3rd T6 Cali about 3 weeks ago.
I have always fancied a Club Joker, starting + £104k I will think again !!!!

Readily available and cheap to maximise the profits of a build.

Not so readily available, but most lightly cheap to buy. As a base van, it’s does offer the widest dimensions of any other van. That’s what attracted me to the Fiat to begin with.
Big van at just 5.4m

Plus points:

Agree re satnav, the 10in display is good as is the satnav.
Stock audio is usually poor in most vans so we upgraded speakers and added an amp, pretty good now. Sound insulation in the doors made a big improvement.
Agree seat not as supportive and seat cushion base is too short. Dash is pretty chaotic but everything works ok although materials are cheaper. Also steering wheel doesn’t adjust up and down as well as in and out.
Led lights are great. Auto box really nice.180Hp engine has plenty of go.l and at 450nm has same torque as latest 204bhp 6.1.
Overall it’s more vanlike than carlike.

Better than my old Mercedes E-class Coupe then. Any sign of rain or ice and it used to fish-tail like a salmon, especially on any kind of incline! Switched to a G-class 4 Matic after that for perma 4 wheel drive and still near 40 mpg.
Modern rwd cars are great, they actually gained most from an ESP system. I have been driving rwd cars for 15 years now in the snow and I enjoy the better traction upp hill in snow.

This may well have been mentioned before but, having sold our Cali and embarked on a tour of new and used vans, conversions etc. we’ve put a deposit on a Hillside Hopton. Delivery date is on a sliding scale as Hillside are still waiting for deliveries of vans from VW and MAN.

Decision was made because I prefer the VW based vans to the Fiat, the quality of the fit out looks a level above some of the alternatives, and they’re not as extortionate as some converters. They’re not cheap though but the residual value of the Cali. helped.

This may well have been mentioned before but, having sold our Cali and embarked on a tour of new and used vans, conversions etc. we’ve put a deposit on a Hillside Hopton. Delivery date is on a sliding scale as Hillside are still waiting for deliveries of vans from VW and MAN.

Decision was made because I prefer the VW based vans to the Fiat, the quality of the fit out looks a level above some of the alternatives, and they’re not as extortionate as some converters. They’re not cheap though but the residual value of the Cali. helped.
Looks really nice. The fit and finish looks really great, love the two sofa’s in the rear, and no stooping over while you walk down to drive off.
Would be interesting to see how the blown air works regulating the temperature over night.
Do the back doors open for stowing items under the sofas?

The sofas are top loading as I understand it and you make it into a U shape. The back doors do open. As for the heating that’s a question mark. When we ordered they were using LPG but we were told researching alternatives as LPG pumps were thin on the ground in some areas. They had one Irish customer who had no LPG access available. I asked why they didn't use the system we had in the Cali. which used diesel and worked really well and was told they had tried it but were struggling to get it to work well in the Crafter.

Strange answer regarding the Crafter as diesel heating is an option on GCs and is standard on Westfalia Sven Hedin. The systems on the GC and Sven are very different so it is doable and there are options.

Does anyone know of any bigger campervans with 5 belted seats (other than commissioning a conversion)?

Does anyone know of any bigger campervans with 5 belted seats (other than commissioning a conversion)?
I’ve recently been down the rabbit hole of trying to find this for my family of 5. After a summer of packing up a wet awning on multiple occasions I thought I’d see what alternatives there were out there as I like the idea of parking up at a camp site and setting up a chair and a bbq.

I think I’ve come to the conclusion that I need the equivalent of a tardis, I want all the interior space but I don’t want a huge van and it doesn’t seem to exist, particularly with 5 belted seats!

Closest I could find was the Dreamer Family Van https://www.dreamer-van.co.uk/fourgon-family-select.php

Looks pretty good but I think I’d prefer similar but with a double bed in the back and a pop top for a couple of the kids.

I think I’ve come to the conclusion I’ll be sticking with my Beach for the foreseeable as it’s awesome to drive on a regular basis and I don’t go camping as much as I’d like!

Back