Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

@2into1 thank you, sorry I meant bigger than the Cali and Nugget, something like Crafter size

I do like the Nugget hightop (LHD only so far I believe)

@2into1 thank you, sorry I meant bigger than the Cali and Nugget, something like Crafter size

Yep, no UK version.
I can’t understand why not, it’s a great mid step size van.

Any conversion with 3 belted seats in the back are only any good if all the rear seat passengers are anorexic. Having sat in several you'd struggle to have 3 teenagers, let alone 3 adults, sit comfortably for any length of time.
There must be plenty of families of 5, I have one and know several, that there's a market for something better.
I've put forward to a couple of converters about doing a mwb Crafter/MAN with a beach rear bench and pop top. Nobody has attempted it yet.

As I am approaching that three score years and ten landmark, I recently received an invitation to renew my driving license. Having looked into the conditions, I discovered that if I wanted to retain my C1 and D1 entitlements I would need to organise a medical and an eye test and this would have to be repeated every three years. Whilst clearly desirable at my age, I didn't really want all that faff. However, this whole process made me think. Would I ever want a bigger van that was above the 3500kgs car license limit? After some deliberation, I decided that wasn't likely so opted for the ordinary car licence instead. I applied online for free and it arrived on the door mat almost before I had pressed the submit button.

Some time ago we looked at bigger vehicles for when we are older and are hankering after something more comfortable, roomy and less basic than our current Beach. At that time we looked at the Autosleepers Range and identified the "Winchcombe" model as being our future van of choice. However, that can't be driven on a car licence so is no longer a viable choice. The similar 3500kgs "Bourton" model can though.

Yes, I know it's not really a "Bigger Van", instead it's a smaller motor home. IMO the distinction is pure semantics at this size. The AS Bourton isn't massive and contains everything a couple would ever need. Its biggest plus though, is its roomy no nonsense layout. So many of the bigger van offerings have awkward fussy internal layouts that feel both difficult to live with and claustrophobic at the same time.

The three things you are likely to do the most in any van are:
1. Eat
2. Sleep
3. Relax
This Bourton model appears to be great at enabling its occupants to do all three easily and in comfort. There's even a very nice washroom/wc with separate shower cubicle.

As things stand, one of these chaps is our number one choice for the not too distant future.

Last edited:
Some time ago we looked at bigger vehicles for when we are older and are hankering after something more comfortable, roomy and less basic than our current Beach. At that time we looked at the Autosleepers Range and identified the "Winchcombe" model as being our future van of choice. However that can't be driven on a car licence so is no longer a viable choice. The similar 3500kgs "Bourton" model can though.

Yes, I know it's not really a "Bigger Van", instead it's a smaller motor home. IMO the distinction is only semantics at this size. The AS Bourton isn't massive and contains everything a couple I would ever need. Its biggest plus though, is its roomy no nonsense layout. So many of the bigger van offerings have awkward fussy internal layouts that feel claustrophobic.

1. Eat
2. Sleep
3. Relax
This Bourton model appears to be great at enabling its occupants to do all three. There's even a very nice washroom/wc with separate shower cubicle.

As things stand one of these chaps is our number one choice for the not too distant future.
Price?

I've spent about 2 years trying to find something slightly bigger than a California, i.e. something with 5 seats and room for 5 to sleep. There is nothing really.

We opted to replace our California with a Nugget after a) becoming fed up with the California's 5th seat (the space it took up, and putting it in an out when camping) and b) finding it hard for three kids to share the lower bed.

The Nugget solves the seating problem and initially the much bigger pop-top bed sorted the sleeping problem, but as the kids are getting bigger we're struggling for sleeping space again (the upstairs bed in the Nugget is the bigger of the two, at 1.4m wide, but its getting tight).

Dreamer do the Camper 5 and Family van, both of which can seat 5 and seem to improve the sleeping situation, but the 5th seat is a temporary thing which faces backwards and sits on top of the wooden gas locker. Plus they've big vans (6m+) and I want something I can use as a daily driver.

Noratz in Northern Spain do a Crafter based 5 berth/seat van, and will convert a customer supplied RHD Crafter, which seems to follow the Nugget layout. It's still big though.

Those big awnings don't really appeal, we might as well sell the van and buy a big tent.

So for us, I think our campervan days will come to an end in the next year or so. A Beach with that bigger bed downstairs for the kids could be the final roll of the dice, but I suspect that will be a bit small too.

If purchased new then £96,995 before discount.

Yes, it's an awful lot of cash but I have seen Cali Oceans for about the same price! The Bourton has hot water and a whole lot more that an Ocean doesn't.

Those big awnings don't really appeal, we might as well sell the van and buy a big tent.
I think the idea is to have the kids outside. I remember growing up my brothers and I preferred sleeping in the tent and leaving the 4 birth caravan for the parent units to sleep in.

I think the idea is to have the kids outside. I remember growing up my brothers and I preferred sleeping in the tent and leaving the 4 birth caravan for the parent units to sleep in.
Or I’ll be put out to pasture with my snoring ;)
And they will sleep inside with earplugs ha ha

If purchased new then £96,995 before discount.

Yes, it's an awful lot of cash but I have seen Cali Oceans for about the same price! The Bourton has hot water and a whole lot more that an Ocean doesn't.
Fiat based but Burstner Lyseo fit a lot in a 5.99m van whilst remaining airy. Nice lounge and kitchen/bathroom space. Drop down bed over lounge area. Lounge can also make up another double bed. 4 seat belts. Ticks your boxes.

As I am approaching that three score years and ten landmark, I recently received an invitation to renew my driving license. Having looked into the conditions, I discovered that if I wanted to retain my C1 and D1 entitlements I would need to organise a medical and an eye test and his would have to be repeated every three years. Whilst clearly desirable at my age, I didn't really want all that faff. However, this whole process made me think. Would I ever want a bigger van that was above the 3500kgs car license limit? After some deliberation, I decided that wasn't likely so opted for the ordinary car licence instead. I applied online for free and it arrived on the door mat almost before I had pressed the submit button.

Some time ago we looked at bigger vehicles for when we are older and are hankering after something more comfortable, roomy and less basic than our current Beach. At that time we looked at the Autosleepers Range and identified the "Winchcombe" model as being our future van of choice. However that can't be driven on a car licence so is no longer a viable choice. The similar 3500kgs "Bourton" model can though.

Yes, I know it's not really a "Bigger Van", instead it's a smaller motor home. IMO the distinction is only semantics at this size. The AS Bourton isn't massive and contains everything a couple I would ever need. Its biggest plus though, is its roomy no nonsense layout. So many of the bigger van offerings have awkward fussy internal layouts that feel claustrophobic.

1. Eat
2. Sleep
3. Relax
This Bourton model appears to be great at enabling its occupants to do all three. There's even a very nice washroom/wc with separate shower cubicle.

As things stand one of these chaps is our number one choice for the not too distant future.
Hi @boris
If you do go to view the Auto Sleeper at SMC have a look at their used Frankia 640 (or new one) where you’ll find a fully winterised van with a 2m x 2m drop down bed, large shower cubicle and separate toilet. One of the largest lounges available, ample storage, 150 litres of fresh water and lots more in a 6.4m van. The attachment includes a video.

Hi @boris
If you do go to view the Auto Sleeper at SMC have a look at their used Frankia 640 (or new one) where you’ll find a fully winterised van with a 2m x 2m drop down bed, large shower cubicle and separate toilet. One of the largest lounges available, ample storage, 150 litres of fresh water and lots more in a 6.4m van. The attachment includes a video.

Thanks Billylou,
It's very nice but at 4500kgs, I couldn't drive it on my newly pruned driving licence. Anyway, any move in the "Bigger Van" direction won't be that imminent.

Mrs B says that there's also caravans to consider although that's unlikely as I've never really been that keen.

Sorry @boris you did make that very clear re the licence etc. Moving into a motorhome from a Cali is a minefield and based on our experience you need to tread very carefully. If you get it right first time you’ll be part of a small club, we hope to get our third attempt right next spring. Good luck and enjoy it.

Thanks Billylou,
It's very nice but at 4500kgs, I couldn't drive it on my newly pruned driving licence. Anyway, any move in the "Bigger Van" direction won't be that imminent.

Mrs B says that there's also caravans to consider although that's unlikely as I've never really been that keen.
Caravans are great if you are only going to one or two campsites. Touring with one would be an absolute PITA, for them and everyone else on the road.

Sorry @boris you did make that very clear re the licence etc. Moving into a motorhome from a Cali is a minefield and based on our experience you need to tread very carefully. If you get it right first time you’ll be part of a small club, we hope to get our third attempt right next spring. Good luck and enjoy it.
Well at the moment we have only gone as far as identifying the AS Bourton as our preferred future option. If we do eventually get one, our plan would be to retain our Cali Beach which was always intended as a keeper. We have eight grandchildren so retaining a seven seater is most important. We would simply ditch Mrs B's car over board. So we wouldn't really be "burning any boats" so to speak.

I've spent about 2 years trying to find something slightly bigger than a California, i.e. something with 5 seats and room for 5 to sleep. There is nothing really.

We opted to replace our California with a Nugget after a) becoming fed up with the California's 5th seat (the space it took up, and putting it in an out when camping) and b) finding it hard for three kids to share the lower bed.

The Nugget solves the seating problem and initially the much bigger pop-top bed sorted the sleeping problem, but as the kids are getting bigger we're struggling for sleeping space again (the upstairs bed in the Nugget is the bigger of the two, at 1.4m wide, but its getting tight).

Dreamer do the Camper 5 and Family van, both of which can seat 5 and seem to improve the sleeping situation, but the 5th seat is a temporary thing which faces backwards and sits on top of the wooden gas locker. Plus they've big vans (6m+) and I want something I can use as a daily driver.

Noratz in Northern Spain do a Crafter based 5 berth/seat van, and will convert a customer supplied RHD Crafter, which seems to follow the Nugget layout. It's still big though.

So for us, I think our campervan days will come to an end in the next year or so. A Beach with that bigger bed downstairs for the kids could be the final roll of the dice, but I suspect that will be a bit small too.
What about a Blackcamp trailer with a Beach…?

Caravans are great if you are only going to one or two campsites. Touring with one would be an absolute PITA, for them and everyone else on the road.
Even more so if people are going to tow with an EV, unhitch and hitch each time to charge.

Even more so if people are going to tow with an EV, unhitch and hitch each time to charge.
Andrew Ditton seems to make it work although it needs some preplanning and a small lightweight caravan.

Thanks Billylou,

Don’t do it.
Dont be a “tugger”

@danvan thanks for that response. There is one other 5 seater campervan I failed to mention, although my wife’s reaction was ‘absolutely not’…

In what world is that fifth seat safe in any potential crash?
I wouldn't go near that as a 5 seater.

Don’t do it.
Dont be a “tugger”
I can certainly see the attraction of a caravan. Being able to leave it on site and go off in the tow car for the day must be a big advantage.

A couple of our chums have recently purchased a Swift Basecamp 4 which looks refreshingly different to the usual caravan format. It's roomy inside whilst having compact external dimensions. It also features some very inovating design ideas. Something like that or a compact Eriba might be a remote possibility one day. However, caravans have never really interested me, so it isn't that likely.

Last edited:
I can certainly see the attraction of a caravan. Being able to leave it on site and go off in the tow car for the day must be a big advantage.

A couple of our chums have recently purchased a Swift Basecamp 4 which looks refreshingly different to the usual caravan format. It's roomy inside whilst having compact external dimensions. It also features some very inovating design ideas. Something like that or a compact Eriba might be a remote possibility one day. However, caravans have never really interested me, so it isn't that likely.
The Swift Basecamp 4 looks like a very interesting option, thanks for the heads up. It looks like a very clever design and ticks a lot of boxes for me and my family!

At the very least it gives me another rabbit hole to go down.

At the very least it has been beset by quality issues, as is the same by most of the Swift family.

We have in this country sadly a tendency when it comes to caravans of quantity over quality. The swift basecamp, copied under licence from the American protege, cut so many corners that water ingress or water leaks were the norm.

We criticise German equivalents, they do not have ovens, microwaves or carpet. They cost more. They do not leak.

My camper tows my sister's caravan. A Knaus sport and fun. It's austere, has a fixed bed, a huge rear door that allows us to load our bikes through, has only a three burner hob, is considered "too functional" for the British market but works and does not leak,

Back