Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

Just drove the latest Crafter, this morning
It’s a trillion times better to drive than my 2022 Ducato and considerably better than our work 2021/2022 transit vans.

Without doubt, so far. The benchmark in big vans.

Next on the list is a Sprinter.

It’s a trillion times better to drive than my 2022 Ducato and considerably better than our work 2021/2022 transit vans.

Totally agree with that, the crafter with the biggest engine & auto box, is brilliant. Once you get used to it its not really much bigger than a transporter its only 136mm wider on the outside but feels about a foot wider on the inside as the sides slope in a lot less at shoulder level.
Huge mirrors make manoeuvring easy & the seats are even better than the Cali ones with 4 way adjustment on the lumber & being height adjustable.
Other than the all plastic gear selector & handbrake grip there's nothing I didn't like about driving a crafter.

Interesting to hear - we are def getting something larger than the Hymer 540 so watching with interest...

Have you looked at Jerba? They do some different Crafter based layouts with pop top and are willing to adapt designs to suit the client. You can even source the van yourself.

Interesting to hear - we are def getting something larger than the Hymer 540 so watching with interest...

Whenever we talk to friends, as they always ask about what van we’re getting next.
My wife explains, how, when parked up for a few days I started to love the van, really enjoyed using and having the Hymer.
Then I would drive somewhere and within 10 minutes the famous 5 words would appear.
I FORKING HATE THIS VAN…!!!

So this time, it’s base vehicle first and the camping arrangement around the base.

This guy is good fun. Scroll through his list till you find your vehicle of choice….

Whenever we talk to friends, as they always ask about what van we’re getting next.
My wife explains, how, when parked up for a few days I started to love the van, really enjoyed using and having the Hymer.
Then I would drive somewhere and within 10 minutes the famous 5 words would appear.
I FORKING HATE THIS VAN…!!!

So this time, it’s base vehicle first and the camping arrangement around the base.
Agree with this. I do think the van is great overall, and as you say, the camping experience wins. Majority of our trips have tended to be long distance and lots of motorway/autoroute, so the actual driving dynamics aren't tested that much.

It lists at 75/80 very happily, the auto box is good, we have an amp and new speakers and soundproofed the doors so dont hear a lot of road noise and the ride is pretty decent (although not so nice when you're in the back).

It's pretty rubbish on windy roads and roundabouts, the fibreglass pop top adds a lot of weight high up too.

Its so quick to set up at camp and having a bit more space inside means we don't have the faff of a drive away awning.

But, it's just a bit too small and want a bigger downstairs bed - lengthwise rather than transverse we think.

But, it's just a bit too small and want a bigger downstairs bed - lengthwise rather than transverse we think.

We fancy a bed that runs lengthways. Even, if we designed something that slid out for evening use to accommodate this.
Kitchen at the sliding door same as the Evo with cupboard etc underneath.
The twin rear belted chair the same but on sliders, for flexibility. Obviously, I’m happy to not have a bathroom.

That just leaves the Poptop dilemma vs roof tent to accommodate the 3 of us.
The pop isn’t needed during the day unlike the Cali as there’s standing room. So it’s a night time thing only.
Just not sure about a roof tent…

I’m sure this would all fit within the MWB quite well and still have the pleasure of a fairly compact van.

This…

IMG_0371.png

Spacious……

We fancy a bed that runs lengthways. Even, if we designed something that slid out for evening use to accommodate this.
Kitchen at the sliding door same as the Evo with cupboard etc underneath.
The twin rear belted chair the same but on sliders, for flexibility. Obviously, I’m happy to not have a bathroom.

That just leaves the Poptop dilemma vs roof tent to accommodate the 3 of us.
The pop isn’t needed during the day unlike the Cali as there’s standing room. So it’s a night time thing only.
Just not sure about a roof tent…

I’m sure this would all fit within the MWB quite well and still have the pleasure of a fairly compact van.
I've sort of gone off the roof tent a bit. Obvs getting a bit soft!

The bed itself is very comfortable and the Hymer liner does make it darker, warmer and quieter. But, it is noisy, such as nearby campers, traffic, flightpath etc. Its colder than downstairs, we have the heating pipe which is fine but anyone downstairs gets very hot, and finally, climbing up and down the ladder is a pain.

Saw a Hymer BMCi550 the other day, and was very tempted despite being 6.99 long and 2.22 wide!

But, I do now stay in the van for 2 nights a week in London for work, so more space in the lounge area and kitchen is appealing, and when away having a garage for bikes would be great!

The bed itself is very comfortable and the Hymer liner does make it darker, warmer and quieter. But, it is noisy, such as nearby campers, traffic, flightpath etc. Its colder than downstairs, we have the heating pipe which is fine but anyone downstairs gets very hot, and finally, climbing up and down the ladder is a pain.

Saw a Hymer BMCi550 the other day, and was very tempted despite being 6.99 long and 2.22 wide!

But, I do now stay in the van for 2 nights a week in London for work, so more space in the lounge area and kitchen is appealing, and when away having a garage for bikes would be great!

Over the years, noise has been my biggest issue with the Poptop. So I understand where your coming from.

I’m not sure that’s a Campervan. I could see the appeal, if I was retired.

Love it. This is the one for me when retired.
(In 10 years time)
I’ll keep the California as a long term day motor, and if I’m feeling generous, loan out to the kids and grandkids.

Andyinluton, the trouble with all these vans is the ability to cope with the additional weight of a campervan. A big difference in driving characteristics between a Crafter/Sprinter panel van to a fully load holiday express.
Adding a poptop to the van with the additional weight and higher center of gravity only makes a bad situation worse.
My

Andyinluton, the trouble with all these vans is the ability to cope with the additional weight of a campervan. A big difference in driving characteristics between a Crafter/Sprinter panel van to a fully load holiday express.
Adding a poptop to the van with the additional weight and higher center of gravity only makes a bad situation worse.
My
What do you think Ive said?

I've said I reckon the crafter with the biggest engine & auto box, is brilliant.

I did about 5000 miles in 6 months in a fully loaded GC600 with a top bed so am speaking from experience.
Most vans actually drive better with fully loaded than empty, they need a bit of weight to take the bounce out of the rear suspension.

Agree a small amount of payload is good, can't comment on the Crafter only my experience with the Sprinter.
Basically the standard Sprinter suspension when applied to a camper is barely adequate and needs work to make it an enjoyable vehicle to drive long distances. Rear suspension is practically running on the bump stops, whilst the front pitches like a boat on anything other than a flat road.
Undulating roads of Scotland become really tiresome to drive, taking a roundabout in wet weather is no fun either not helped with the additional poptop weight.
On a motorway its fantastic apart from side winds and wind disturbance when passing HGVs, the van has many plus points but the suspension is not one of them.
All I'm saying is if you go with a Sprinter be prepared to budget for a suspension upgrade.

Agree a small amount of payload is good, can't comment on the Crafter only my experience with the Sprinter.
Basically the standard Sprinter suspension when applied to a camper is barely adequate and needs work to make it an enjoyable vehicle to drive long distances. Rear suspension is practically running on the bump stops, whilst the front pitches like a boat on anything other than a flat road.
Undulating roads of Scotland become really tiresome to drive, taking a roundabout in wet weather is no fun either not helped with the additional poptop weight.
On a motorway its fantastic apart from side winds and wind disturbance when passing HGVs, the van has many plus points but the suspension is not one of them.
All I'm saying is if you go with a Sprinter be prepared to budget for a suspension upgrade.

What have you used to upgrade your suspension…?

[...]

Yes, I know it's not really a "Bigger Van", instead it's a smaller motor home. IMO the distinction is pure semantics at this size. The AS Bourton isn't massive and contains everything a couple would ever need. Its biggest plus though, is its roomy no nonsense layout. So many of the bigger van offerings have awkward fussy internal layouts that feel both difficult to live with and claustrophobic at the same time.

The three things you are likely to do the most in any van are:
1. Eat
2. Sleep
3. Relax

[...]

I too am looking ahead for when 'The Van' gets used for longer trips, rather than it's current role as daily-driver with occasional sleepovers, and I know we'll need something more practical to sit around in.

I'm enjoying this thread & it's firmed-up my view that I want to stick with a one box design, with a sideways rear bed & a bathroom in the middle - the only larger still options I've seen that don't have the (for me) negative connotations of a motorhome are the Hymer ML-T at £96K+ and the even more expensive ML-T Crossover.

Perhaps I'll never want to spend that much, so the Hymer Free-S or similar at £66K+ will be more realistic.

I too am looking ahead for when 'The Van' gets used for longer trips, rather than it's current role as daily-driver with occasional sleepovers, and I know we'll need something more practical to sit around in.

I'm enjoying this thread & it's firmed-up my view that I want to stick with a one box design, with a sideways rear bed & a bathroom in the middle - the only larger still options I've seen that don't have the (for me) negative connotations of a motorhome are the Hymer ML-T at £96K+ and the even more expensive ML-T Crossover.

Perhaps I'll never want to spend that much, so the Hymer Free-S or similar at £66K+ will be more realistic.

Doesn't the ML-T have twin longitudinal bed arrangement and not transverse/sideways rear setup?

Shame the Free-S doesn't have the classy boat decking interior design elements.

Fitted VB Full air to the rear, expensive at 5k but the only system approved and warranted by Mercedes.
I'd seen an example of the monocoque chassis cracking when simple balloons replace the bump stops as the contact point is not designed to carry the load.
Full VB can be fitted as a special order by Mercedes at even greater cost from what I was told. Quite a big upgrade including redesign of rear waste tank, chassis strengthening and associated compressor and electronics.
The rear is now self leveling, plus on site I have the ability to alter heights accordingly from the remote.
This has greatly improved the rear ride quality and reduced body sway by 80%.
However it has highlighted how soft the front is with the pitching effect so I am in the process of replacing the standard shocks with Koni's Active dampers.

IMG_20220922_175132_007.jpg

IMG_20220922_174414_534.jpg

IMG_20220922_174435_832.jpg

IMG_20220922_174621_900.jpg

IMG_20220922_174708_716.jpg

The Hymer Free 600 S & Westfalia 540 were the only vans I liked at the show today.
It would be great if Hymer updated the interior of the 600. But otherwise a solid all rounder.

Having looked at lots of vans, the only ones that had the build quality were Volkswagen, Hymer and Westfalia. Everything else we saw was either mediocre or plain rubbish…

This looks pretty handy for anyone wanting a MAN / Crafter van for doing their own conversion.
I cant see a price in the configurator but MAN now do a factory fitted pop top.IMG_1386.jpeg

A bit more searching has found this photo on face book of the interior.....MAN roof.jpeg

Back