Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

All this lockdown and I’m getting itchy feet.

I am thinking a bigger van may be better for my family. I love the VW base and the 4 motion but the grand California 680 is really only a 2 berth which seems a step backwards from an Ocean. They just don’t seem to have created an efficient and comfortable interior.

Research then moves to Westfalia Sven Hedin based on a Man badged crafter- but can’t see if 4motion is an option. Then I see the Columbus which the interior and front bed as well as lifting roof look superb- but it’s a Fiat based van and only 2 wheel drive. Whilst I haven’t driven one, reviews seem to suggest they are a rough drive- not sure if this is the case with the latest 160bhp 9 sp autos.

I would really like the VW Crafter 4motion with the Westfalia Columbus interior. Does any one have any views or gone down the same path?
Club joker 4motion:thumb

We had a columbus and I gotta admit the drive was pretty good.
The dash area though was borderline rubbish
Rattling bits glove box lid not fitting properly the paint and panels are of a commercial finish but the van itself was great....
U gotta remind yourself with a fiat Westfalia that your paying for the Westfalia side of it...
The Sven is a beautiful thing and having been to campersales this wknd to look at one it’s confirmed the Sven is definitely a step beyond the columbus.
But obviously your pay more for it.
Wether it’s worth it or not needs to be your decision.
We have ordered a Sven to replace our 6.1 ocean and I’d say it’s a good replacement camper.and definitely a step forward

I too wish they did a 4motion Sven ....
The knaus is also a good looking van but after reading a thread on here I’d be a bit worried with the issues some people have said about wiring being wired the wrong way around on the control panels. and for me the toilet shower layout would take some getting used too .saying that I do like the big bed and the lwb

I agree it's a lot of money, but you can have a bespoke design. Can easily reduce cost by 20k
by ditching the 4x4, 3k off road tyres and other extras such as the 3k roof rack.
From what I can see it's well put together and the company is highly regarded.
I think pricing is subjective, you only have to look at the pricing structure of VW product.
I have also looked at the Hymer Grand Cayon S 80k on a Mercedes platform, and the Westfelia Columbus 600D with is great but on a Fiat platform also 80k.
I would say they answer the phone, call you back and answer emails, something I've found lacking at the more established dealers.
I may be old fashioned but when spending 80k I do like to be treated as a valued customer and not just a number .
I would source the van yourself if you go down the converting route, I sold a t5 electricians van to vanworx and they converted it to a day van.
They sold it for eye watering money, and made out it was there own van!
There conversions look good, just be careful on what van it’s done on.

I am thinking a bigger van will be needed in the coming years, as the kids are getting bigger, but there's nothing on the market for a family of five. This is after visiting many shows and seeing some of the comedy seats for a fifth person or the triple bench seats for anorexics.
So thoughts are conversion. Starting point would be mwb crafter/sprinter high top, beach triple seat bench, pop top and a bunk at the rear. Cralifornia Beach anyone o_O

I have an idea, why doesn't our favourite manufacturer make a larger Cali and call it a Grand California, you know the same as a Cali but larger .
How about the Crafter base vehicle with added pop top and similar travel seat/rock and roll bed set up to the Westfelia Columbus.
Out come, a great family van with flexible sleeping for six in a 6m van.
Sorted !

We had a columbus and I gotta admit the drive was pretty good.
The dash area though was borderline rubbish
Rattling bits glove box lid not fitting properly the paint and panels are of a commercial finish but the van itself was great....
U gotta remind yourself with a fiat Westfalia that your paying for the Westfalia side of it...
The Sven is a beautiful thing and having been to campersales this wknd to look at one it’s confirmed the Sven is definitely a step beyond the columbus.
But obviously your pay more for it.
Wether it’s worth it or not needs to be your decision.
We have ordered a Sven to replace our 6.1 ocean and I’d say it’s a good replacement camper.and definitely a step forward
We were at campersales when the Sven drove onto their forecourt after they had collected it, beautiful vehicle but out of our price range currently with all of the financial uncertainty currently going on. Have you ordered a new MAN Sven from them ?

I am thinking a bigger van will be needed in the coming years, as the kids are getting bigger, but there's nothing on the market for a family of five. This is after visiting many shows and seeing some of the comedy seats for a fifth person or the triple bench seats for anorexics.
So thoughts are conversion. Starting point would be mwb crafter/sprinter high top, beach triple seat bench, pop top and a bunk at the rear. Cralifornia Beach anyone o_O
I have seen crafters on MWB with double bunks at the back so you can sleep 4 across the back, all you would then need is a converting dinette that can sleep your 5th.

I am in a similar position - although there are only three of us (15 yr boy). Thinking it would be a good idea to capitalise on the buoyant market selling our California for either a 6.1 or something bigger. Don’t really want to wait, but also don’t want a 3 berth bigger van.

We have put a deposit down on a Sven not the one at camper sales because ideally we want a new van that comes with a full warranty .
Our 6.1 ocean will be hard to let go of but it’s going up for sale after our booked holiday in September

I looked at the Sven, am I right in thinking it's not a four birth?
Only real family van I can find is the Hymer free and Grand Canyon on a Mercedes platform.

Only real family van I can find is the Hymer free and Grand Canyon on a Mercedes platform.
Yes it’s a 2 berth as far as I am aware, just fixed bed at back. The Westfalia Columbus 600/601 models are 4 berth based on Fiat Ducato (which most seem to use now)

Sounds like you want either a beach or an Ocean with a 5th seat and then a decent awning?

Sounds like you want either a beach or an Ocean with a 5th seat and then a decent awning?

Currently have a beach, but with 3 growing kids makes sleeping arrangements tricky at times, something slightly bigger would do to put an extra bed.
Used to drive 5/6m vans for a living, good work van, not practical for parking when visiting places or at home.

Agree. Unless to be used extremely frequently a Beach and Eriba caravan would be very practical and allow seperate rooms for privacy or own space. Our Hymer A class was excellent but sat unused too much of the time.

We tried the Grand Canyon S which was nice. Still not much room. Specced a 4wd Ceafyer for a conversion. Gave up and bought a Swift 695, layout is great and it works fine for <50% of the base Crafter price !

Yep your correct it’s a 2berth

After 12 years of California decided it was finally time for a bigger van. GC layout and price not for us. Just purchased a Hymer Duo Car S from Adventure Leisure at Tebay.

Hi Pammyvan
That's really interesting, I've also been enquiring about a Grand Canyon S and Free S
About to arrange a viewing in Stafford to take a look, in many ways it's our preferred choice especially with the pop top.
How are you finding the quality of fittings compared to the Cali ?
I like the fact it's not overly large or tall.
We are really torn but I think the clincher will be the Mercedes with the better sleeping arrangements.
VW cabin bed is just to short, I know its described as a child bed but children grow very quickly.
Is there anything that you wished you'd ordered on the Merc that wasn't available.
Many thanks

We pick it up in Sept but it’s in there now. We hired a Grand Canyon and they knocked hire money off. We liked it, thought we wanted a pop top but decided we didn’t need it. The downstairs bed was really comfortable. Mrs slept with two kids and there was plenty off room. Heater is amazing. The van was ordered by garage after motor show we knew it was coming in so we paid deposi. We saw their Grand Canyon which was the death knell for CalI on an off chance visit. Will post more on spec when we get it. It has chassis pack, driver pack, style pack.

413BE650-2A49-4ED5-A571-E963336EEA23.jpeg

27B94524-015D-4B94-AF7D-5DBEA3D877DA.jpeg

0A455251-5B16-4C9C-969A-C2DEB6C4FF67.jpeg

6AA552B3-7655-405A-B5F6-2AC3BA0702C2.jpeg

321E4DC6-48C2-4975-8F9D-7D60CFD83F4B.jpeg

7955B847-DA0C-408B-92FD-A4A1800946CF.jpeg

5931F8A5-34FA-40D8-9E4E-3E6DC7FF544C.jpeg

Hi Pammyvan
That's really interesting, I've also been enquiring about a Grand Canyon S and Free S
About to arrange a viewing in Stafford to take a look, in many ways it's our preferred choice especially with the pop top.
How are you finding the quality of fittings compared to the Cali ?
I like the fact it's not overly large or tall.
We are really torn but I think the clincher will be the Mercedes with the better sleeping arrangements.
VW cabin bed is just to short, I know its described as a child bed but children grow very quickly.
Is there anything that you wished you'd ordered on the Merc that wasn't available.
Many thanks
We’ve just moved from a Cali to a Free S and absolutely love it. We’ve got an auto with cruise so you still get the smooth driving experience of the Cali but with so much more space and the fixed bed and toilet have been a real game changer for us. The sprinter definitely feels like a bigger van to drive but we feel it’s worth this compromise for the far better camping experience

Back