Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

It must be the time of year again.
The big van itch is back...

I know, what am I thinking...?

But looking at what’s happening with the virus and travel over the next 2/3 years. I can see the need for adjustment.

Current setup is
Cali Ocean
Porsche Cayman -old 2011

The car isn’t getting used. The last 12months, it’s seen 380 driven miles. I tried to drive it to work last week, flat battery. Figured it hadn’t moved in over 3 weeks. It’s a car I always wanted, but circumstances change. Like having a child. It was something we bought years ago and said we will always hang onto it.
But between working from home and striving to cycle more (thank you ebikes) we just don’t need the car.
Crazy, my wife did more miles on her bike last year than in the car. First time in her life.
E Bikes work...!!!

So, my heart says buy a bigger van and keep all of them. But it would be a complete waste and I’ve always been quite a sensible chap.

Therefore:
Option 1
Change Ocean for Beach
Buy bigger van

Option 2
Keep Ocean
Buy bigger van

What would you do...?
We are thinking about a bigger van, looked at the GC600 but feel it's too high so looking now at the Hillside Hopton. VW want to buy my Ocean back current mileage 2k in 13 months. Found we want an onboard toilet and shower now due to Covid

The Eriba is out of the question. Great little tow vans. But i don't want to tow anything.
I have a 7ft trailer at home which i use for general work stuff.
If i was retired and potentially using campsites a lot, i would consider one.
But we do a lot of road side stop overs.

The biggest drive for a bigger van.
Two fixed beds across the back, in bunk bed formation most lightly. Not to worried about bathrooms, but having a fixed toilet is something we like the idea of. If you have the toilet, you may as well have the shower installed, although don't envisage we would it use that often.

5.4m looks like the sweet spot. Not overly long but more height being an advantage at times.
I figure once you go above 2m, you lose on of the biggest plus points in a California and wouldn't matter if it was 3m or 4m high. But length could be a deal breaker...
Parking a 5.4m should be fairly easy, compared to 6m plus.

Another plus option with having both a bigger van and Cali.
I would consider renting out the bigger van outside the school holiday periods to try and claw back some of its cost. i know there's pit falls here. But its an avenue i would look at.
You sound like larrylamb and myself a while back club joker is the way to go! Still a cool VW massive space (I think living space is way bigger than any 6m van). Has same brandrup storage stuff. You would probably need a storage box on bike rail as boot is small (loads of storage cupboards inside and under rear bench seat).
Campersales has one stock on due in May or keep eyes peeled for 2nd hand one soon.

Well done @Anthony1, I’m no stranger to self builds having done a few back in the day. Before Instagram Van-life existed. Just a surfer trying to sleep at the Beach...;)

Old T4, basic but worked for a good few years
BC9F75FB-C25B-469B-AE14-3A690B1B36B1.jpeg

Boards in, surfers cosy
B0A1A79D-32D5-4AA6-9332-338389B564C3.jpeg

Then I did a refurb, went posh
700B541E-0AB7-4247-88F3-C3061C7B0EEF.jpeg

California Days
Could do with a bit more room
E4080BBB-6993-4B91-A63E-0A48A12CC921.jpeg

Hi to all of you.
We took the plunge last September replacing out T6 Beach with a Hymer Grand Canyon S 163 bhp auto.
After 18 months with out Beach which we loved bye the way we decided more space was needed, we are a family of four, two kids 11 and 13.
Occasionally one dog plus our love of the out doors often includes taking large items like paddle boards.
We know we made the right choice, the extra space has been fantastic.
Our van also has the pop top roof for kids to sleep, it also acts as storage. All bedding including access ladder can be left in the poptop even when the roof is down which is great when moving from site to site.
We now have two very comfortable beds, mass's of storage, a nice but compact bathroom, diesel heating and plenty of hot water.
The 90 litre fridge freeze is a compressor type and wispa quiet.
We upgraded to two 95 amp batteries with 200 watt solar, this allows 3 days off grid but will at some point add lithium.
The van is under 6m and feels no wider than the T6

Sorry press post accidentally, to continue general driving is no problem, reversing camera option is a must as there's no rear view mirror.
Driveability improves with miles, however I would say the auto gearbox 7 speed is not as smooth as the VW. LED lights on the VW are also better than the Mercedes.
As an every day vehicle it's perfectly possible however with the poptop it's a tall vehicle.
We got round this by leasing a small run a round as an extra car.
Basic Suzuki Swift at £140 per month works for us.
The Mercedes adds another dimension to our camping, we know we can go anywhere and be self contained and in 2021 we plan to do so.
We really wouldn't be without it.

Hi to all of you.
We took the plunge last September replacing out T6 Beach with a Hymer Grand Canyon S 163 bhp auto.
After 18 months with out Beach which we loved bye the way we decided more space was needed, we are a family of four, two kids 11 and 13.
Occasionally one dog plus our love of the out doors often includes taking large items like paddle boards.
We know we made the right choice, the extra space has been fantastic.
Our van also has the pop top roof for kids to sleep, it also acts as storage. All bedding including access ladder can be left in the poptop even when the roof is down which is great when moving from site to site.
We now have two very comfortable beds, mass's of storage, a nice but compact bathroom, diesel heating and plenty of hot water.
The 90 litre fridge freeze is a compressor type and wispa quiet.
We upgraded to two 95 amp batteries with 200 watt solar, this allows 3 days off grid but will at some point add lithium.
The van is under 6m and feels no wider than the T6

Is that on the Merc chassis...?

Another thing on our minds. When we camp remotely, it would be nice to able to drive off in an instance if we didn't like something.
Its a hassle in the Cali, having to pull the roof back down and potentially remake beds.

I had it once in Newquay, where we were about to go to sleep and some rowdy youths turned up. It just felt wrong, they kept walking past the van and iwasnt comfortable staying there. Had to de-camp before driving to find somewhere quiet, annoying...

We bought a Westfalia columbus in 2016 on a Fiat
It’s a completely different experience I wasn’t that blown away with the finish of the fiat very bad paint on the 16models I believe they have fixed this now .
We sold it and regretted it.
Bought another cali as I have always loved them.but I have to be honest after being in the vw scene for 30 yrs owning t2 t3 t4 t5 t6 then a 6.1 there beautiful no doubt but I definitely had to admit to myself a bigger panel van is way better...from experience... self contained and easier to enjoy time away .we did the big white also between and it turned into garden furniture.
A crafter or merc panel van even a Ducato now is definitely the sweet spot

Another thing on our minds. When we camp remotely, it would be nice to able to drive off in an instance if we didn't like something.
Its a hassle in the Cali, having to pull the roof back down and potentially remake beds.

I had it once in Newquay, where we were about to go to sleep and some rowdy youths turned up. It just felt wrong, they kept walking past the van and iwasnt comfortable staying there. Had to de-camp before driving to find somewhere quiet, annoying...
Had that happen a few times stealth camping, max of 2mins and I’m gone! Don’t even need to shut up roof bed.
Just spin passenger seat and drop internal blinds

Soulstyledevon
Yes ours is based on a Mercedes Sprinter.
We to like to camp remotely and found some great sites during this summer.

La strada nova m would be my choice or a James cook. If I wanted bigger than joker.1EABCDA2-60F4-4C10-8625-1F09F0F4173F.pngA3B4B5F8-9C9D-4BE7-A4F7-3D4243153C1D.png
Do like the hymer Grand Canyon s on merc 4x4 too, not keen on a traverse bed as I’m 6.2ft and wouldn’t need a poptop as skylights would be more important.
Only would go for German base vehicle and 4x4
Hope you find the right van for you. :thumb

Had that happen a few times stealth camping, max of 2mins and I’m gone! Don’t even need to shut up roof bed.
Just spin passenger seat and drop internal blinds

So you know exactly where I’m coming from...

It’s fine when I’m by myself. I keep the roof down and put a blanket between the front cab and back.
Ready to go if required.

It’s harder with the wife and kid. We debate about the hassle of waking the little one and de-camping.
I remember being at Southerndown one year. 2 flocking AM in the morning, a couple of boy racers turn up.
We were the only ones there. Hoping they would go quickly. I think it was about 35mins of loud music and doughnuts before they finally went...:rage

La strada nova m would be my choice or a James cook. If I wanted bigger than joker.View attachment 71893View attachment 71894
Do like the hymer Grand Canyon s on merc 4x4 too, not keen on a traverse bed as I’m 6.2ft and wouldn’t need a poptop as skylights would be more important.
Only would go for German base vehicle and 4x4
Hope you find the right van for you. :thumb
Love the Nova M went on the configurator and I would be 141.000 euros down.

Love the Nova M went on the configurator and I would be 141.000 euros down.
Snap so did I :headbang
still that would be my near perfect layout on a bigger van, and the hymerconcept van is a close second.
No la strada dealer in uk either

So you know exactly where I’m coming from...

It’s fine when I’m by myself. I keep the roof down and put a blanket between the front cab and back.
Ready to go if required.

It’s harder with the wife and kid. We debate about the hassle of waking the little one and de-camping.
I remember being at Southerndown one year. 2 flocking AM in the morning, a couple of boy racers turn up.
We were the only ones there. Hoping they would go quickly. I think it was about 35mins of loud music and doughnuts before they finally went...:rage
I’m not sure if you can drive off with downstairs bed made up on joker as it goes onto front passenger seat so you may have to add another minute.
I’ve had the teenagers setting fireworks off at midnight before, quickest get away ever (dog gets freaked out and so did I).

still that would be my near perfect layout on a bigger van, and the hymerconcept van is a close second.
Went with the EB due to the bed layout but prefer a double at the stern, but very spookily also would go the same way with the Hymer concept.

Well they are all a compromise.

How’s it going up there.

Will

Went with the EB due to the bed layout but prefer a double at the stern, but very spookily also would go the same way with the Hymer concept.

Well they are all a compromise.

How’s it going up there.

Will
I can’t complain have free hookup and food, in return for a bit of diy. Loads of space and walks and even some snow to play in.
Missed my daughter birthday and the new forest.
I like the GC shame no 4x4 on the 600

I had it once in Newquay, where we were about to go to sleep and some rowdy youths turned up. It just felt wrong, they kept walking past the van and iwasnt comfortable staying there. Had to de-camp before driving to find somewhere quiet,
This is the first alternative the Cali I’ve seen and really liked. The layout is good and smaller than a merc carthago e line which is similar quality but too big. Do you know if available in right hand drive if there is no UK dealer? Cheers

This is the first alternative the Cali I’ve seen and really liked. The layout is good and smaller than a merc carthago e line which is similar quality but too big. Do you know if available in right hand drive if there is no UK dealer? Cheers
I think you can, there is someone on here who imported a la strada nova probably best to ask them. The 4x4 is about £120k!
There use to be a dealer who use to import them think it was Southdown Motorhome

I think you can, there is someone on here who imported a la strada nova probably best to ask them. The 4x4 is about £120k!
There use to be a dealer who use to import them think it was Southdown Motorhome
Thanks for this. 120 is carthago e line money after a discount with merc chassis. That’s a different league!

Funnily enough that's what i feel about the car.
Just had a look at mileage over the last 5 years. Averaged 3500 miles a year.

Cant believe I've got to a point in life where I'm seriously considering letting it go.
The thing with the Ocean is. Its just soooo darn practical.
Ive owned Ts for the last 20 years. I couldn't live without one.

Not sure @Jay20cali a Kombi is a worth-while exchange. The ocean offers so much more in pretty much the same package. I can throw a longboard inside, go down the tip and when required sleep 4 in the Ocean comfortably
It's so personal when it comes to campers. Needs and requirements can change and it often looks like the grass is greener. We are a family of three and one summer with the Club Joker confirmed it was a good move for us camping wise. We don't use it as a daily driver although @4x4Joker does. We love the toilet and shower area, it takes hardly any space from the van when not in use. Boiling hot water, roof lights, insulated hard top, comfy beds, decent flyscreens and blinds, cooking standing up whilst beds are made, excellent quiet heating, windows you can leave open and stay dry whilst it's peeing down, not worrying when it's windy and battering down etc etc are all things we love but it's different to an Ocean with a smaller footprint and less height. The Ocean has a lot going for it.
I know my van is 2.8m high but that is not a problem for me, I don't miss a pop top one bit. I do miss the Cali rear seat, far comfier for long distance travelling than bigger campers but we can live with that.
What are you after? One vehicle that does all, or a bigger camper and a city car??? It sounds like you don't need the Porsche at all, as nice as it is.

@larrylamb the joker looks so well put together. Real quality product...
There’s a T4 joker for sale in London. It’s tempting to go and have a look.

The Sven Hedin also looks a great van, although I’m surprised they never fitted a pop top roof to it...

Friend of mine got himself this one and sold the Beach easily:
81a86b9068547e3dfde145c27d4e9e82.jpg

92cf9105676b7b6858be09d23b3ca51f.jpg

0f7b145a896f8a37dbdc28807eab295a.jpg

@sapto
That thing is massive. I can see the attraction.

Funnily enough, yesterday I dropped into a Costa Coffee Drive Thru and the height barrier was 2.6m.
I think some of these vans would definitely have issues. I keep reading about more and more 2m height barrier installations.
I am going to make a conscious effort on noting height barriers on some of my regular hangouts.

@sapto
That thing is massive. I can see the attraction.

Funnily enough, yesterday I dropped into a Costa Coffee Drive Thru and the height barrier was 2.6m.
I think some of these vans would definitely have issues. I keep reading about more and more 2m height barrier installations.
I am going to make a conscious effort on noting height barriers on some of my regular hangouts.
I believe there is an app advising of hight barrier restricted car parks in the UK

I believe there is an app advising of hight barrier restricted car parks in the UK
From dealings with planning departments there is a serious consideration to even more height barriers in areas identified as overnight stopover areas. Any new Aires type stopovers will most likely result in restrictions in their locality as that is the intention.

Ok folks have looked at a lot of these bigger vans and not entirely convinced that upsizing significantly delivers great benefits in terms of usable space, although do appreciate the self containment line . it is always a case of different stokes for different folks but at the end of the day keep coming back to a Transporter base and asking why oh why VW don’t do a LWB Cali. In that context have people fully investigated quality conversion options ? Currently looking at Jerba Cromarty / CMC Hembil as offering what we need . Assuming a £70k ish budget

Back