Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

We pick it up in Sept but it’s in there now. We hired a Grand Canyon and they knocked hire money off. We liked it, thought we wanted a pop top but decided we didn’t need it. The downstairs bed was really comfortable. Mrs slept with two kids and there was plenty off room. Heater is amazing. The van was ordered by garage after motor show we knew it was coming in so we paid deposi. We saw their Grand Canyon which was the death knell for CalI on an off chance visit. Will post more on spec when we get it. It has chassis pack, driver pack, style pack.

View attachment 64738

View attachment 64739

View attachment 64740

View attachment 64741

View attachment 64742

View attachment 64743

View attachment 64744
I can see the attraction of the onboard facilities, but where do the kids sit when you are travelling, theres only 2 seatbelts.

Kids are our niece‘s so we don’t need 4 seats. We are normally just us two.

Hi Georgiegirl
Do you have the standard headlamps or LEDs.
A bit concerned about going back to H7 from LEDs in the Cali?
How do you find the light?

Hi Georgiegirl
Do you have the standard headlamps or LEDs.
A bit concerned about going back to H7 from LEDs in the Cali?
How do you find the light?
Ours are standard but you can get LEDs are an option. To be honest we’ve only had the van a couple of months so haven’t driven it in the dark yet so I’m not sure how good the lights are. It’s not our daily drive so we weren’t too concerned about this aspect, it’s all about the camping for us!

In hindsight we wished we had bought a bigger van, yes we love the Cali Ocean we bought last Sep new, but it's small. We always use a driveaway awning to give us extra room. But we are both in are late 60's and wonder how long we can carry on fitting a Cali topper putting an awning up. When you see a 6 metre van pull onto the next pitch park up and ready to use !!!!!! If the Gran 600, with no top bed option, would have been available when we bought the Cali I think we would have bought it.

Looked at a Hymer Free 540 recently. Very impressive, with a useable sized bathroom (same as the 600) and a nice fresh, contemporary interior. The huge pop top bed is absolutely fantastic. Would certainly consider if doing longer trips where a bit of extra space and practicality would be welcomed.

We've finally done it, sold our Cali to a lovely couple and about to collect our new van on Friday.
Was tempted by GC but kids bed to small and really wanted a poptop.
Purchased a new Hymer Grand Canyon from Campersales.
Optional poptop excellent and the Mercedes base vehicle is quality, a proper family van to grow into.
Sorry VW but will keep looking at this excellent forum.

We were sad when our California of seven years drove down the road with its new owners but having now spent three weeks in the replacement we are pleased we made the change as we had just got to the time where we felt a slightly bigger van would be a benefit.

We were very keen to try to stay with the feel of the California and we didn't want a big van so the 5.4m long Hymercar Ayres Rock became our choice. We looked at the Free 540 but we decided that we preferred the better level of trim that the Ayres Rock has.

We were also keen to maintain the pop top roof and we continue to sleep upstairs in an equally comfortable bed.

At 5.4m (many start at 6m) the van is only a little bit longer than the Cali so we can still park it in standard car parking spaces so that's not a worry. The big difference is in the height of the van as it's 2.7m tall, but this means we can stand up in it without the roof being up although for the first few days in the van I continued to duck as I stood up from a seated position.

Three weeks away in the van and no regrets. We loved our Cali as I think everyone does, but our change hasn't been a bad one at all and we have a lovely gunmetal metallic grey camper. We quite like the fact that it is not one of those big white mobile homes. It's still a campervan - with a loo and running hot water.....

By the way - other forums are not quite like this one. We'll miss you all.

IMG_5906.jpg

IMG_5629.jpg

We pick it up in Sept but it’s in there now. We hired a Grand Canyon and they knocked hire money off. We liked it, thought we wanted a pop top but decided we didn’t need it. The downstairs bed was really comfortable. Mrs slept with two kids and there was plenty off room. Heater is amazing. The van was ordered by garage after motor show we knew it was coming in so we paid deposi. We saw their Grand Canyon which was the death knell for CalI on an off chance visit. Will post more on spec when we get it. It has chassis pack, driver pack, style pack.

View attachment 64738

View attachment 64739

View attachment 64740

View attachment 64741

View attachment 64742

View attachment 64743

View attachment 64744

you are a bit nearer to AdventureLV than I am but a company great to deal with. If you get a chance to talk to Phil Unsworth please give him a big Hello from me (Jenni, the mad woman from Littlehampton) ....

Last edited:
I can see the attraction of the onboard facilities, but where do the kids sit when you are travelling, theres only 2 seatbelts.
We've bought Hymer Grand Canyon on Mercedes base and it has 4 seatbelted seats.

Sorry...re my above post, I now realise there is a difference between Grand Canyon and Free S.

It must be the time of year again.
The big van itch is back...

I know, what am I thinking...?

But looking at what’s happening with the virus and travel over the next 2/3 years. I can see the need for adjustment.

Current setup is
Cali Ocean
Porsche Cayman -old 2011

The car isn’t getting used. The last 12months, it’s seen 380 driven miles. I tried to drive it to work last week, flat battery. Figured it hadn’t moved in over 3 weeks. It’s a car I always wanted, but circumstances change. Like having a child. It was something we bought years ago and said we will always hang onto it.
But between working from home and striving to cycle more (thank you ebikes) we just don’t need the car.
Crazy, my wife did more miles on her bike last year than in the car. First time in her life.
E Bikes work...!!!

So, my heart says buy a bigger van and keep all of them. But it would be a complete waste and I’ve always been quite a sensible chap.

Therefore:
Option 1
Change Ocean for Beach
Buy bigger van

Option 2
Keep Ocean
Buy bigger van

What would you do...?

Note

Hymer 540 Evo Blue looks an interesting van...

But looking at what’s happening with the virus and travel over the next 2/3 years. I can see the need for adjustment.

Current setup is
Cali Ocean
Porsche Cayman -old 2011

The car isn’t getting used. The last 12months, it’s seen 380 driven miles. I tried to drive it to work last week, flat battery. Figured it hadn’t moved in over 3 weeks. It’s a car I always wanted, but circumstances change. Like having a child. It was something we bought years ago and said we will always hang onto it.
But between working from home and striving to cycle more (thank you ebikes) we just don’t need the car.
Crazy, my wife did more miles on her bike last year than in the car. First time in her life.
E Bikes work...!!!

So, my heart says buy a bigger van and keep all of them. But it would be a complete waste and I’ve always been quite a sensible chap.

Therefore:
Option 1
Change Ocean for Beach
Buy bigger van

Option 2
Keep Ocean
Buy bigger van

What would you do...?
I like the idea of a beach or caddy cali and my joker.
You could probably sell your ocean and that would buy a brand new beach too.
Probably best to rent a bigger van first to get the right one.

I like the idea of a beach or caddy cali and my joker.
You could probably sell your ocean and that would buy a brand new beach too.
Probably best to rent a bigger van first to get the right one.

Thats what we were thinking.

At the same time, other than gaining a 5th seat for the odd occasion we might need it.
Possibly better to keep the Ocean as our main car and for quick over nighters. Not 100% sure which way to go.
Possibly the Beach is too much of a compromise. Been there, done that...

The plan would then be to lower the suspension and mod a couple of things to the Ocean such as wheels and a few other styling bits and bobs. Embrace and improve its everyday appeal.

I did think carefully about getting a larger van for my family of 4, now that the kids are 6 and 7. As the “did” gives away, I just can’t see the benefit of it in any real practical way compared to say a merc canyon s (which I think is the best of the bunch by the way)

sleeping - the beds once made up are the same size

eating - in lounge mode it is the same space

head height and kitchen - same if you put the roof up

bathroom - I see the benefit of this i think. But really. 4 of you doing your business and also showering one at a time in a space that small? I think you would elect to go to an outside washroom which would be bigger, quicker and not require odours during or when emptying?

cabin - for me, the t6 and 6.1 with alcantara wins here. Hands down

So in summary I can’t see the real benefit IF you are willing to accept changing from lounge to bed mode each day AND you prefer using outside facilities AND you are happy putting roof up.

I am with all of these. I think the compromise for living space is present in all vans under 6m so the need for an awning on longer stays remains. For this reason I’ve just ordered a replacement for my T6 in the shape of T6.1.

thanks for reading this far and I hope this helps someone thinking about a new van navigate through. We have had our T6 for 4 years and absolutely love it. We may got to an A class carthago if we were retired in our 60s and didn’t want to make the beds each day. But for the next chapter the Ocean suits me and my monkeys

cheers

Current setup is
Cali Ocean
Porsche Cayman -old 2011

E Bikes work...!!!

Therefore:
Option 1
Change Ocean for Beach
Buy bigger van

Option 2
Keep Ocean
Buy bigger van

What would you do...?
I’d buy a Kombi and a bigger van.not much point having 2 campers as in bigger van I mean panel van conversion.

All I can remember about having a bigger van was not being able to park it & spending half my holiday either filling it up with water or emptying it out. With 6 of us even 100 litre tanks didn't last long if using the shower.

I also got totally fed up with seeing it sit on the drive unused for months at a time, at least with an ocean in normal times you can use it for other times not just holiday.

I also got totally fed up with seeing it sit on the drive unused for months at a time, at least with an ocean in normal times you can use it for other times not just holiday.

Funnily enough that's what i feel about the car.
Just had a look at mileage over the last 5 years. Averaged 3500 miles a year.

Cant believe I've got to a point in life where I'm seriously considering letting it go.
The thing with the Ocean is. Its just soooo darn practical.
Ive owned Ts for the last 20 years. I couldn't live without one.

Not sure @Jay20cali a Kombi is a worth-while exchange. The ocean offers so much more in pretty much the same package. I can throw a longboard inside, go down the tip and when required sleep 4 in the Ocean comfortably

What about just getting an Eriba to cover the "own facilities" side of things & keep the Ocean as a tow tug.

Funnily enough that's what i feel about the car.
Just had a look at mileage over the last 5 years. Averaged 3500 miles a year.

Cant believe I've got to a point in life where I'm seriously considering letting it go.
The thing with the Ocean is. Its just soooo darn practical.
Ive owned Ts for the last 20 years. I couldn't live without one.

Not sure @Jay20cali a Kombi is a worth-while exchange. The ocean offers so much more in pretty much the same package. I can throw a longboard inside, go down the tip and when required sleep 4 in the Ocean comfortably
I don’t get that to be honest,
A Kombi is the perfect sports activities van
You can Load it up with all sorts bikes, surf boards luggage aswell as 5 to 6 people then fill it up with rubbish for the tip without damaging any interior...if you want to sleep in it use the bigger camper,?
Unless you actually want 2 camper vans .
The only plus with owning a California as well as a bigger van is you can sleep in it.
But why have 2 vans you can sleep in it’s like having 2 houses.they do the same job in my opinion....like having 2 pairs of walking boots .
It sounds like you want to keep the California so you probably answered your own questions already;)

What about just getting an Eriba to cover the "own facilities" side of things & keep the Ocean as a tow tug.
I can see the benefit of an Eriba I think as you have two separate living space if required eg if the kids are a bit older.

Not for us necessarily but I think the reasoning is pretty sensible and might stand the test of time given the flexibility and genuine increase in usable living area

cheers

It's a tricky one. You might remember this sort of tussle is where my username came from. 3 years since I became "2into1" I'm still tempted every week by a bigger van and a car rather than just the Cali, which feels compromised as a camping unit vs a Westy Joker or the Westy Exclusive I came from.
The Cali is such an amazingly flexible thing though!

The Eriba is out of the question. Great little tow vans. But i don't want to tow anything.
I have a 7ft trailer at home which i use for general work stuff.
If i was retired and potentially using campsites a lot, i would consider one.
But we do a lot of road side stop overs.

The biggest drive for a bigger van.
Two fixed beds across the back, in bunk bed formation most lightly. Not to worried about bathrooms, but having a fixed toilet is something we like the idea of. If you have the toilet, you may as well have the shower installed, although don't envisage we would it use that often.

5.4m looks like the sweet spot. Not overly long but more height being an advantage at times.
I figure once you go above 2m, you lose on of the biggest plus points in a California and wouldn't matter if it was 3m or 4m high. But length could be a deal breaker...
Parking a 5.4m should be fairly easy, compared to 6m plus.

Another plus option with having both a bigger van and Cali.
I would consider renting out the bigger van outside the school holiday periods to try and claw back some of its cost. i know there's pit falls here. But its an avenue i would look at.

Current setup is
Cali Ocean
Porsche Cayman -old 2011

E Bikes work...!!!

Therefore:
Option 1
Change Ocean for Beach
Buy bigger van

Option 2
Keep Ocean
Buy bigger van

What would you do...?
I have a California, DSG, 4 motion etc. Will probably never sell it, plus a BMW hard top convertible (old one). Just prior to First lockdown I bought a Citroen Relay, LWB, very low miles, all the insulation/electrics (including solar ) done.

I set about building the furniture apart from a kitchen pod which I bought made up. Used it a few times, tried to sell it, let down by someone who was very keen, then wasn't.

I have recently rebuilt some of interior better than before, added a wardrobe etc.

I know really like it. It is so nice to jump in an out and walk about. A fixed double is great. It is only 1mtr longer than the California and very nice to drive (manual).

I may try and sell it in the spring or just keep it for trips where we don't move every day. I was planning a long trip to Spain/Portugal last year and was hoping to re-do Nordkapp and the Foten Islands this year and the bigger van would be better for both trips. If we are ever allowed to travel abroad again.

Ideally I would like the shorter, Hymer Ayres Rock but they are not cheap and second hand ones are virtually non-existent.

Attachments

• IMG_20200722_211638.jpg
    IMG_20200722_211638.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 33
Back