Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

For those interested re our switch-up in size.

Our first proper trip in the GC600 is coming up after living with a T6 for 4 years. We've done one local 'trial night' just to make sure we have the bare essentials and understand the 'workflow' of the van, which was a mix of excitement and upset with the kids for the routine change, didn't like the height of their bunk bed etc (5 & 3, so understandable). But ironically had the best nights sleep ever; even at home!

On the flipside, i've now done three weeks of living with it as my daily (school run + commute to office/station etc. No regrets yet, but certainly does have it's compromises as expected. A range of places (inc the station and local park) dont allow motorhomes, so had to sweet talk my way around that and get an exception. But the seating position, drive, and overall comfort is lovely.

But there is a certain degree of luxury versus the Ocean for our wider uses. With standing height, a toilet, and a seating area with more usable 'desk space', it's an absolute god-send both for working remotely (and escaping my home office), as well as days out with the kids.

I do miss the Ocean's convenience of drive (size, performance, etc) and build quality (a few bits on the GC which aren't at the same level of quality), but so far, i'm still happy with the switch.

As a family of 5 I’m a Beach owner but still continually mull over my options as we’re not really using it as we’d planned when we bought it 5 years ago.

Don’t want to go too much bigger but I’ve been looking for 5 seats, 5 births in under 5.4m, which is obviously a big ask and quite a challenge…

I have stumbled across this one though which might be of interest to other families of 5. Appreciate it’s a Fiat base which might put people off but it does fit a lot in a small van!

Robeta Ares - Youtube

Robeta Ares - Website

Hello,

I must admit I didn't read all posts of this thread so please forgive me if I repeat something.

4x years we had the Ocean and changed in 2021 to the GC 600. After 66000 km and a few tours (last year Scandinavia and Balticum and this year Rumania) we started to talk about changing the camper.

Why?

Even there are only 2 of us (and a little dog) spending 6x weeks in the GC 600 can create a wish to have a bit more place (and length wise beds).

So we checked a wee bit what campers are available in ROI, that are a bit bigger and based on a Crafter or a Sprinter.

There where only a few campers that might be of interest. But changing to a different camper would mean we have to pay something between EUR 75.000 and EUR 100.000 on top of the trade-in for the GC 600.

Why are they so expensive?

First we are looking for a (bit) bigger camper preferably on a Sprinter with automatic transmission. This lifts the price tag a lot. In other words if we are looking for something better as the GC 600 we have to pay a lot.

Also, in our case, there is no motorhome dealer in the greater Dublin area. All dealers are at least 120 km away from us. Even a high quality motorhome (eg Carthago) will have some issues in the first year. I am sure the dealer will look after this, saying leave the camper with us and collected in about 2 days. Which would leave me stranded in the Limerick area or Northern Ireland. In comparison our VW dealer is 26 km away from us.

There are many more things to consider but we agreed that we keep our GC 600 until we can't drive anymore and use the money instead to travel and get the most out of the camper.

Regards,
Eberhard

If I can chip in on this debate as I've moved from a 6.1 Ocean to a Sven Hedin. Firstly things I miss about the Cali;

- I think the lounge area is much smarter and practical than the Sven
- Even though it's a van it seems a lot let 'van like' than the Sven (if that makes any sense!?)
- Less limitations as a second vehicle, ie can park wherever a car can.
- Finally there's no doubt that the Cali is so much cooler!!!!

Thinks that I'm finding are definitely better

- On board hot water is a massive plus
- As are Shower/Toilet
- Fixed bed makes life so much easier without the faff of having to reorganise the van before bed
- Separate living areas if the other half wishes to stay in bed/get up earlier.
- Bizarrely the biggest plus I've found is there is no need to sit in a cramped space when it's too windy to have the roof up.

Overall I'm really glad I've gone for a bigger van, perhaps the issue of leaking bellows sullied my Cali ownership experience somewhat.

If I can chip in on this debate as I've moved from a 6.1 Ocean to a Sven Hedin. Firstly things I miss about the Cali;

- I think the lounge area is much smarter and practical than the Sven
- Even though it's a van it seems a lot let 'van like' than the Sven (if that makes any sense!?)
- Less limitations as a second vehicle, ie can park wherever a car can.
- Finally there's no doubt that the Cali is so much cooler!!!!

Thinks that I'm finding are definitely better

- On board hot water is a massive plus
- As are Shower/Toilet
- Fixed bed makes life so much easier without the faff of having to reorganise the van before bed
- Separate living areas if the other half wishes to stay in bed/get up earlier.
- Bizarrely the biggest plus I've found is there is no need to sit in a cramped space when it's too windy to have the roof up.

Overall I'm really glad I've gone for a bigger van, perhaps the issue of leaking bellows sullied my Cali ownership experience somewhat.
I like your reasoning on almost every point although I went slightly different with the T5 & T6 having a high roof negated your last point.
Also having adding to the fixed bed by having an electrically raiseable one which provides the best of both worlds, permanently made up but additional load space when required.

As for the Cali being so much 'cooler', such things are in the eye of the beholder and as the Crafter / TGE are gradually taking hold they are gaining credibility in the enthusiast's eyes.

PS read my signature, we've been there and done that from a 1969 Bay Window through to the LWB TGE.

Next week we trade our beach and occasional swift Basecamp 2 in for a fiat based Etrusco integrated motor home, we have had the beach from new in 2017 and it has been brilliant but I want to tour in something that doesn't need constant rearranging to become a dining room, a bathroom, a bedroom, a shot shower room. The closest dealer for the new machine is 200 miles from us, however as it is a fiat chassis, there is a fiat commercial service centre 30 miles from home.

Saw a black 22 plate Ocean being traded in for a GC at Hereford today.
I didn’t stop and say hi, they were too busy taking photos of both vans together :)
And I needed some breakfast at 12:00 !

It's not difficult to love such an amazing van as that!!!!

Is that a daily driver for you? as I'd probably not be as gushing about mine if mine had to be my daily vehicle..

It’s not.
It would be troublesome as a daily. Not impossible, but you would have to consider journeys.
Traded the Cali in for a Buzz, which never arrived and ended up with a 3 year old 335d touring.
Love the touring too… :thumb

Got to say, the Sprinter flew through 535 miles yesterday. Cruise set at 80 and it crunched through the miles no drama.

What are you getting mpg wise ?
Would love one to add to my garage collection !

Had a site meeting in Hackney last week. I was good for 45mpg on the way down. Needed to get back home that evening, dropped to 33mpg.
Truth be told, I wasn’t hanging around. Nothing passed me from the M25 all the way up the M40 home….
It’s a solid all rounder. Never seen it below 30. At times it’s driven hard too.

Would love an M3 touring :Stig

Had a site meeting in Hackney last week. I was good for 45mpg on the way down. Needed to get back home that evening, dropped to 33mpg.
Truth be told, I wasn’t hanging around. Nothing passed me from the M25 all the way up the M40 home….
It’s a solid all rounder. Never seen it below 30. At times it’s driven hard too.

Would love an M3 touring :Stig
There are 4 in that Met Melbourne red.
Really nice one with adaptive suspension in Tamworth. £24k

The M3 touring is around 27mpg ! And around £72k
That’s a lot of wedge for a car.
Licence loser too.
M40 is my fav M’way.
I had a 330e and overtook an x3, which was doing around 110, I pulled back in front going around that nice bend after Ox Services.
They popped the blues on and removed foot from accelerator, no brake, they came alongside me, wagged a finger and sped off.
That was 8 years ago, suffice to say I haven’t done over 77 as need my licence ;)

Best 85mpg, worst in snow mode 70mpg, it is 2009 with 100k miles on it
My FIL absolutely loves his Smart cars and has just bought himself a new (to him) FourTwo. I think he said they were stopping making them, if true that'll be a pity as they're perfect little cars and a doddle to park!

My FIL absolutely loves his Smart cars and has just bought himself a new (to him) FourTwo. I think he said they were stopping making them, if true that'll be a pity as they're perfect little cars and a doddle to park!
They have. The ineos grenadier is made in the former smart car factory in France. The new model is huge, horrible, electric and Chinese (hash tag thingy). I have a second generation one, my wife has a third generation soft top (Renault underneath), my son has a third generation coupe. The 45hp diesel is best, discontinued when euro 5 came in as it's 799cc turbo intercooler engine couldn't meet the standard even though it's emissions are too low to measure. All taxed as zero except brabus.

There are 4 in that Met Melbourne red.
Really nice one with adaptive suspension in Tamworth. £24k

The M3 touring is around 27mpg ! And around £72k
That’s a lot of wedge for a car.
Licence loser too.
M40 is my fav M’way.
I had a 330e and overtook an x3, which was doing around 110, I pulled back in front going around that nice bend after Ox Services.
They popped the blues on and removed foot from accelerator, no brake, they came alongside me, wagged a finger and sped off.
That was 8 years ago, suffice to say I haven’t done over 77 as need my licence ;)

If it gets anywhere near 27mph, I’d be amazed.
The 330e seems very popular, I’m sure bik rates on that are favourable.
Not many Melbourne Reds when I was looking. Had to go to Scotland for this one.
One owner, less than 10k miles, half the price of the Buzz.
Left me with a good chunk of change to throw at the Hymer.

Ahh!

The Hymer M-LT 570 Crossover!

My dream, but too expensive. Available in Northern Ireland for almost EUR 190.000 :eek:

With this price tag this camper will be every a dream.

Regards,
Eberhard

Back