Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

Post resurrection…!!!

It’s time, I’m changing vans.
I can’t decide between 5,4M Ducato or 6m Ducato/Sprinter.

Thought, opinions and most importantly firsthand experiences of these vans…???

Post resurrection…!!!

I hired a Ducato 9 seat minibus whilst living in a friends farmhouse in Umbria some years ago, whilst it trundled around quite happily it was an agricultural beast and the air-conditioning did absolutely nothing for any passengers not up front.
I have driven every sort of bus from a Bedford CA minibus, three speed gearbox and about 40 hp to a Nissan Armada 5.6 V8 petrol 4WD 8 seater in LA.
They can all transport you around, but given the choice of driving long distances in comfort and economically in a vehicle that you can live in for weeks at a time i am afraid you are stuck with the Cali or a decent conversion of the current Crafter, probably.

Post resurrection…!!!

Go large! Might as well hang for a sheep as hang for a lamb. I’ve had both, the bigger one is deffo bigger inside with a lot more storage :thumb

Post resurrection…!!!

You’ve been saying that for years, you are a vw guy can’t see it happening. ;)
Either do a Man/crafter conversion yourself/others to do bits. Or it’s a GC600/joker if the beds are big enough to accommodate everyone.
I can’t see you with a fiat!

You’ve been saying that for years, you are a vw guy can’t see it happening. ;)
Either do a Man/crafter conversion yourself/others to do bits. Or it’s a GC600/joker if the beds are big enough to accommodate everyone.
I can’t see you with a fiat!

The Grand Cali is to small for 3 people. The roof bed looks too cramped.

The Grand Cali is to small for 3 people. The roof bed looks too cramped.
Roof bed is massive for one person in GC, watched YouTube of calichris up there and fitted fine.
The lower bed isn’t that long, plus they need to do a winter pack for and make the rear travel seat slide like the Sven.
Go drive a fiat van and see if you can live with one.
Problem with pop tops on bigger vans is ventilation as they have solid roofs, harder to get steam from shower/kettle cooking, condensation, heat,smell, etc out just the sliding door and side windows. You need skylights, the living area will feel very dark too.

It’s probably why I’m looking at the Ducato platform. There’s more windows than the Sprinter equivalent. Plus Hymer do a fairly light/bright interior on the Evo blue and 600 free.
We’ve ruled out an older van as we would rather buy into the latest Fiat engine, with Auto transmission and some toys such as cruise, Lane assist etc, which should bring it nearer to my current T6 comfort levels. I believe the latest changes took effect from 2022.

I’m definitely changing, because we have the Buzz on order for daily tasks and makes sense to get something better adapted for our travels, especially with a 6 years old in the house. We probably have another 10 years of adventures with him before he wants to dump us for his friends…

Roof bed is massive for one person in GC, watched YouTube of calichris up there and fitted fine.
The lower bed isn’t that long, plus they need to do a winter pack for and make the rear travel seat slide like the Sven.
Go drive a fiat van and see if you can live with one.
Problem with pop tops on bigger vans is ventilation as they have solid roofs, harder to get steam from shower/kettle cooking, condensation, heat,smell, etc out just the sliding door and side windows. You need skylights, the living area will feel very dark too.
Have to agree, skylights open up the interior and provide easy ventilation at night.

It’s probably why I’m looking at the Ducato platform. There’s more windows than the Sprinter equivalent. Plus Hymer do a fairly light/bright interior on the Evo blue and 600 free.
We’ve ruled out an older van as we would rather buy into the latest Fiat engine, with Auto transmission and some toys such as cruise, Lane assist etc, which should bring it nearer to my current T6 comfort levels. I believe the latest changes took effect from 2022.

I’m definitely changing, because we have the Buzz on order for daily tasks and makes sense to get something better adapted for our travels, especially with a 6 years old in the house. We probably have another 10 years of adventures with him before he wants to dump us for his friends…
Friends recently took delivery of a Hymer Blue Evolution 540.

Nicely put together by Hymer. Downstairs bed is borderline unusable for anyone over say 1.75m (5’9”) but offers a great deal of storage if you use the upstairs which is massive and really comfortable. It suffers the usual coach built tight lounge dining area, with a very upright back to the twin seat. Nothing like as roomy as a California in living mode. Nice kitchen, small but functional bathroom.

A big selling point: it’s not white. The blue and black looks really good in the flesh.

Theirs is manual because the auto is quite a lot more money. Can’t remember the numbers but I was surprised.

Aircon just failed after a couple of thousand miles.

Nice van, we like it. Doesn’t drive like a California, but it’s certainly a good option.

Nicely put together by Hymer. Downstairs bed is borderline unusable for anyone over say 1.75m (5’9”) but offers a great deal of storage if you use the upstairs which is massive and really comfortable. It suffers the usual coach built tight lounge dining area, with a very upright back to the twin seat. Nothing like as roomy as a California in living mode. Nice kitchen, small but functional bathroom.

A big selling point: it’s not white. The blue and black looks really good in the flesh.

Theirs is manual because the auto is quite a lot more money. Can’t remember the numbers but I was surprised.

Nice van, we like it. Doesn’t drive like a California, but it’s certainly a good option.
I agree with most of what you have just said except for bed size. I am 6’1” and never had a problem sleeping in ours (HymerCar). If I were buying another van now of that type of would go for the 6m Globecar …….. a better van in my opinion (have owned both so feel entitled to say that :))

Amongst other reasons that was the biggest reason we sold the Hymer…..

If you were thinking of Hymer and what you have said it indicates a big compromise perhaps more than you would be prepared to live with happily say in 6 months. Maybe go for the 6m auto. Hire something along those lines. Think you have contemplated for sometime now and delivery times are not getting any shorter.

If you were thinking of Hymer and what you have said it indicates a big compromise perhaps more than you would be prepared to live with happily say in 6 months. Maybe go for the 6m auto. Hire something along those lines. Think you have contemplated for sometime now and delivery times are not getting any shorter.
We’re very happy with the California. No plans to change. It’s a friend’s van.

If I was you I would go hire a GC600 maybe take a trip to soton campers and go stay in the new forest for a couple of nights.
Atleast that would rule out a GC or help on whether a bigger van is right.

If I was you I would go hire a GC600 maybe take a trip to soton campers and go stay in the new forest for a couple of nights.
Atleast that would rule out a GC or help on whether a bigger van is right.

I have one reservation about the Hymer vans, actually 2.
1 - Lack of storage under the bed as you access the area from the rear doors
2 - Poptop roof appears to have no roof bar fixings?

Consideration for these two things.
We currently pack all our clothes on a sliding rack under the VW Ocean bed. I would like to do the same going forward.
Secondly, I need the ability to carry surfboards on the roof of the van.

So, another contender which I didn’t consider before which seems to address my concerns is a
Westfalia Columbus 540D…
Looks interesting, but costs more £££

We should start a Joker specific thread where me, you and @4x4 joker can share thoughts, modifications and such. ;-)
Happy to pm any stuff or I’ll find posts in bigger vans/other places.
Cali forum best not to start a whole thing on jokers as the fiat/hymer/conversion guys will be wanting the same

We currently pack all our clothes on a sliding rack under the VW Ocean bed. I would like to do the same going forward.

So, another contender which I didn’t consider before which seems to address my concerns is a
Westfalia Columbus 540D…
What do you need that a cali can’t do?
Will you use a shower/toilet?
Are you wanting to stand up in van without popping roof?
Do you need hot water?
Winter camping with extra warmth/places to dry stuff?

Westfalia Columbus 540D…

1/ Put bags under the bed, or use the cupboards above the bed. If obstructed you can access the rear from sliding door.

2/ Roof bars

Looks to be easy DIY as the front/back rails look to be outside of the canvas zone; Did the same on our T4 Bilbo Roof. Drill a few holes, Apply Silkaflex and then put rail on, tighten screws/wellnuts.

1660558912854.png

I’m sick of that electric poptop. Takes to long to lower, raise and I much prefer the manual Beach version I had. Doesn’t help when camping roadside, pull up late evening and it whirls into action and the lights come on because you need to turn the ignition.

Will use the toilet, shower occasionally but most lightly the wife will use it more. I can go days without showering.

Ability to standup without popping the roof is a major attraction.

Don’t need hot water, but if it’s specced, why not.

The bathroom could help, as a place to store damp stuff in winter, such as wet jackets etc.

Having front chairs with the ability to spin freely would help
A bit more general space to move and a slightly bigger fridge would work for us.

I’m sick of that electric poptop. Takes to long to lower, raise and I much prefer the manual Beach version I had. Doesn’t help when camping roadside, pull up late evening and it whirls into action and the lights come on because you need to turn the ignition.

Will use the toilet, shower occasionally but most lightly the wife will use it more. I can go days without showering.

Ability to standup without popping the roof is a major attraction.

Don’t need hot water, but if it’s specced, why not.

The bathroom could help, as a place to store damp stuff in winter, such as wet jackets etc.

Having front chairs with the ability to spin freely would help
A bit more general space to move and a slightly bigger fridge would work for us.
+ you should be able to slide a longboard under the bed / thru living area if you go for a local surf & cant be bothered to put it on the roof!

Back