Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

Friend of mine got himself this one and sold the Beach easily:
81a86b9068547e3dfde145c27d4e9e82.jpg

92cf9105676b7b6858be09d23b3ca51f.jpg

0f7b145a896f8a37dbdc28807eab295a.jpg
Looking in the back of that reminds me why we went for a cali.
It looks like a builders van - even left a lump of wood strapped to the ceiling.

Good comparison here of a slightly bigger van :

Having changed to a larger van I think it comes down to affordability, by that I mean the financial out lay needed to buy a second vehicle as using a 6m van as a daily runner can be challenging.
Our Sprinter, offers in my view better value and masses of usable space, no more crouching to move about, a space or storage cupboard for larger items, no more constantly moving around storage boxes and proper off grid ability.
The ability to rise early and make a coffee without disturbing others, not having to get out of bed at 2am to take young kids to the campsite toilet, the list goes on.
A larger van is not for everyone, we as a family have evolved in to a bigger van something we wouldn't of done without first having a California.

Thanks WS . What Sprinter conversion do you have ?
In our case it isn’t about daily runner / additional outlay since we have other vehicles but about usability generally. Van needs to be compact enough to jump in for day trips / visits to family etc and to make you actively want to drive it, which we currently do have with the Cali .Wife prefers it to cars. But certainly hear what you say about space and storage boxes! It really is a difficult call. Any responses from anyone who has thoroughly investigated LWB VW options , (focusing on quality/ usability and not bling!)

Our is a Hymer Grand Canyon S 4 berth poptop auto.
5.93 mm long, 2080mm wide.
We use it for holidays and day trips, great to drive and doesn't feel much bigger than T6.
Reversing easy with factory fit reversing camera, only reason it's not used every day is that other cars are more suitable for our normal journeys i.e school run and city commuting.
If we didn't have kids and only wanted a 2 berth would have considered Westfelia models based on a MAN vehicle.

Thanks . Had looked at Grand Canyon on both Sprinter and Ducato base and thought it potientially unwieldy so good to hear your thoughts on that. Assume for Westfalia you mean Sven Hedin which also seems to feature sometimes on this forum? (Still remain a bit VW centred, rightly or wrongly!)

I think the narrower body width of the Sprinter panel van compared to the Fiat Ducatto really helps with driveability.
Narrow Single track lanes don't bother me any more than the T6 and it's a world of worries away from driving a 'Great White' I previously had.
It takes a while to get use to, totally different to the VW. The T6 drives like a car, the Sprinter feels a lot more substantial, you sit higher looking down in to cars.
It's not as refined as the VW and can be a little intimidating at first but after a few hundred miles becomes second nature.

Thanks WS . What Sprinter conversion do you have ?
In our case it isn’t about daily runner / additional outlay since we have other vehicles but about usability generally. Van needs to be compact enough to jump in for day trips / visits to family etc and to make you actively want to drive it, which we currently do have with the Cali .Wife prefers it to cars. But certainly hear what you say about space and storage boxes! It really is a difficult call. Any responses from anyone who has thoroughly investigated LWB VW options , (focusing on quality/ usability and not bling!)
Westfalia Club joker hd is a lwb vw, loads of comments and pics from larrylamb and myself:thumb

Westfalia Club joker hd is a lwb vw, loads of comments and pics from larrylamb and myself:thumb
Thanks. Have certainly thought this an interesting variant on VW theme and would be keen to see one in the metal. They are of course like hens’ teeth and I guess on a v long lead time .How do you find in cross winds given the additional height/ are there any downsides to this apart from obviously inability to limbo under 2m restrictions?

One other thing to check before any new van purchase is it's available payload.
Often over looked by many newbies, don't assume a larger van has a larger pay load as many are registered at a lower rate to comply with licence requirements.
Most vans can have payload increased by replating if you hold a C1 licence.

Thanks. Have certainly thought this an interesting variant on VW theme and would be keen to see one in the metal. They are of course like hens’ teeth and I guess on a v long lead time .How do you find in cross winds given the additional height/ are there any downsides to this apart from obviously inability to limbo under 2m restrictions?
Hi
Yes long lead times (should be 8mths in normal times, think it’s about 10/12mths). Worth the wait as I’ve ordered new one.
There’s a nice new one due in at campersales May time I think.
You can’t really compare a cali with a joker they are completely different vans. I got mine to spend long periods of time in it, wanted hot water (shower and loo) and the ability to stand up.
If you want a small van to do an amazing job at stealth camping or even full time living the joker ticks them boxes.
The only time the joker feels any different to drive to a cali is when there’s cross wind. Nothing major to worry about. I was in Ireland with a red weather warning (100winds), did run in land for shelter but myself and the van survived.
Larrylamb may give you a better insight as there is 3 of them and they just use the van for holidays and the odd day journey.
im not sure where you are in the country but hopefully heading south in the spring to collect new van so can show you round my new or old joker maybe.

Hi
Yes long lead times (should be 8mths in normal times, think it’s about 10/12mths). Worth the wait as I’ve ordered new one.
You can’t really compare a cali with a joker they are completely different vans. I got mine to spend long periods of time in it, wanted hot water (shower and loo) and the ability to stand up.
If you want a small van to do an amazing job at stealth camping or even full time living the joker ticks them boxes.
The only time the joker feels any different to drive to a cali is when there’s cross wind. Nothing major to worry about. I was in Ireland with a red weather warning (100winds), did run in land for shelter but myself and the van survived.
Larrylamb may give you a better insight as there is 3 of them and they just use the van for holidays and the odd day journey.
im not sure where you are in the country but hopefully heading south in the spring to collect new van so can show you round my new or old joker maybe.
Hi
Thanks . Very kind of you . We are in Cambridge city. We often go down to Eastbourne so I think Campersales might be on the way. Let’s see if we are all able to get about in the spring!

Ok folks have looked at a lot of these bigger vans and not entirely convinced that upsizing significantly delivers great benefits in terms of usable space, although do appreciate the self containment line . it is always a case of different stokes for different folks but at the end of the day keep coming back to a Transporter base and asking why oh why VW don’t do a LWB Cali. In that context have people fully investigated quality conversion options ? Currently looking at Jerba Cromarty / CMC Hembil as offering what we need . Assuming a £70k ish budget

I would love a LWB Cali.
But then again,
Volkswagen would fill it with loads of useless tech and that stupid electric roof...

I’ve checked out loads of UK conversions, nothing has impressed me so far.
Would need to be Westfalia standard to jump out of the California

I would love a LWB Cali.
But then again,
Volkswagen would fill it with loads of useless tech and that stupid electric roof...

I’ve checked out loads of UK conversions, nothing has impressed me so far.
Would need to be Westfalia standard to jump out of the California
Me too.
I had a converted lwb and I miss the extra space. But you cannot compare the quality of the Cali to the conversion - miles apart in most cases.
And driving and parking was never an issue.

We rented a Cali for a few days, and ended up buying a Bilbo's Nexa, because we preferred the two-single-bed layout and a kitchen you could stand in.

As it happened, it was also a LWB, and I was nervous at first until I drove it and found it was in almost every situation just the same as a SWB... and we were very grateful for the extra space inside. Would definitely go for a LWB if I were choosing again.

We rented a Cali for a few days, and ended up buying a Bilbo's Nexa, because we preferred the two-single-bed layout and a kitchen you could stand in.

As it happened, it was also a LWB, and I was nervous at first until I drove it and found it was in almost every situation just the same as a SWB... and we were very grateful for the extra space inside. Would definitely go for a LWB if I were choosing again.

I reckon VW could make a killing with a LWB california, that extra foot or so of floor with the bed made up would be good, an extra kitchen cupboard with a little bit more worktop makes the kitchen work better & it would just make it a bit less cramped.

I reckon VW could make a killing with a LWB california, that extra foot or so of floor with the bed made up would be good, an extra kitchen cupboard with a little bit more worktop makes the kitchen work better & it would just make it a bit less cramped.
I understand what you are saying Andy but for me the Van is more than just habitat, I have to admit that when I started the journey the Marco Polo was top of my list, they are cheaper, a little more luxurious and give that little extra habitat space. But during my research, the thought that my vans arse end would be hanging a foot or more outside of the car parking space in any retail outlet carpark filled me with dread. I need it to be my daily driver, shopping cart and holiday accommodation, I really do think I/we have found the perfect compromise/package with the SWB Cali.

I understand what you are saying Andy but for me the Van is more than just habitat, I have to admit that when I started the journey the Marco Polo was top of my list, they are cheaper, a little more luxurious and give that little extra habitat space. But during my research, the thought that my vans arse end would be hanging a foot or more outside of the car parking space in any retail outlet carpark filled me with dread. I need it to be my daily driver, shopping cart and holiday accommodation, I really do think I/we have found the perfect compromise/package with the SWB Cali.
The combination of 5 m x 2 m x 2 m looks so right from every angle, any other variant is just wrong, IMHO.

The combination of 5 m x 2 m x 2 m looks so right from every angle, any other variant is just wrong, IMHO.
I agree the LWB doesn't quite look right. The proportions are slightly wrong. For me assuming it was still under 2m (the LWB sticks up more at the back) it would be a hard decision if it was offered.

I agree it would be perfect. We have said that all along.

All this lockdown and I’m getting itchy feet.

I am thinking a bigger van may be better for my family. I love the VW base and the 4 motion but the grand California 680 is really only a 2 berth which seems a step backwards from an Ocean. They just don’t seem to have created an efficient and comfortable interior.

Research then moves to Westfalia Sven Hedin based on a Man badged crafter- but can’t see if 4motion is an option. Then I see the Columbus which the interior and front bed as well as lifting roof look superb- but it’s a Fiat based van and only 2 wheel drive. Whilst I haven’t driven one, reviews seem to suggest they are a rough drive- not sure if this is the case with the latest 160bhp 9 sp autos.

I would really like the VW Crafter 4motion with the Westfalia Columbus interior. Does any one have any views or gone down the same path?
Have you looked at the hymer free 600 S we sold our beach and got a Merc sprinter hymer with pop top roof 2 x double beds and a shower room. We love it.

E78EDDBF-1210-4DFE-80C4-99822D4B4A37.jpeg

We've travelled around the area for the last few days but now on Les Tournels in Ramatuelle.
Great site, more commercial than we normally choose but as its early season is really nice.(some sites just too quiet, with facilities closed).
Weather has been warm did hit 23c for a while but yesterday 15/16 sunny if a little windy.

Back