Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Build date fiasco from VW

Hi Saul ...Well I am really confused now, a week ago I went through the same process and we seem to be ordering the same thing. As chat was not available I phoned and spoke to a very helpful guy who went off to investigate and I specifically asked him to check my order with the weight issue in mind as I was concerned following what I had read here earlier, he said would call me back the following day which would been Friday 22nd and to his word he did.
He told me he had been through to the order processing team and had specifically discussed my order and confirmed there was no alterations needed and the ordered spec could be built although still no build date.
all very confusing...please let me know what your supplier says, mine was equally unaware when I put it to him.
Hi JandA I got the exact same response no alterations needed. VW chat, brand support and the dealer all confirmed the same.

I will report back Monday when I’ve spoke to my dealer...
Update:

Our Dealer has confirmed there are weight issues on 204PS Ocean 4Motion builds dependent on Options selected, he has been advised by VWCV this morning that he has 4 orders since Sep 20 (ours being one of them) that require amendment due to "order error" and need reviewing on the internal order system to identify which of the combinations puts the vehicle overweight. He cited; 80L tank, wooden floor, bed extension, mudlfaps(!) and 4 other options (undefined) as those causing issues. We have Sport Pack and Diff Lock and Shower that could be in the remaining 4.

204's start in week 8 he also mentioned.

He is doing the re-order today with his boss and we agreed to close this out by tomorrow.

His view was that a re-order for this issue should not result in "going to the back of the queue" for a build week.

That's as much as i know - for my vehicle order. Many other build week delays may just be caught up in volume/covid issues.

Cheers,

SB

Update:

Our Dealer has confirmed there are weight issues on 204PS Ocean 4Motion builds dependent on Options selected, he has been advised by VWCV this morning that he has 4 orders since Sep 20 (ours being one of them) that require amendment due to "order error" and need reviewing on the internal order system to identify which of the combinations puts the vehicle overweight. He cited; 80L tank, wooden floor, bed extension, mudlfaps(!) and 4 other options (undefined) as those causing issues. We have Sport Pack and Diff Lock and Shower that could be in the remaining 4.

He is doing the re-order today with his boss and we agreed to close this out by tomorrow.

His view was that a re-order for this issue should not result in "going to the back of the queue" for a build week.

That's as much as i know - for my vehicle order. Many other build week delays may just be caught up in volume/covid issues.

Cheers,

SB
Hi Saul B,

Many thanks for the update, i am watching with interest to see what will happen to my order have three of your 4 items listed above on my order. The Bed Extension is an interesting one as its only a mattress in reality and who would not ultimately have a mattress OEM or aftermarket in a vehicle designed to sleep in.

Good luck and keep us posted, I will do the same I hear anything about my order.

Update:

Cheers,

SB
If it helps you can check the weight of individual options in the configurator (based on old 199) as it updates dynamically so just adding one option at a time and looking at the tech details tab will show the weight increase. The options suggested seem very strange as just checked and their weights seem insignificant.

Mud flaps=2kg
Wood floor=5kg
Mattress=6kg

It would be good if they told you at what point they deem the vehicle un-buildable i.e. what's the minimum payload they will supply it with.

The sport pack or any 18" wheel option should be beneficial as the spare wheel is removed saving a fair bit of weight. Being cynical could what is being offered be based around the options they make the most money on!

If it helps you can check the weight of individual options in the configurator (based on old 199) as it updates dynamically so just adding one option at a time and looking at the tech details tab will show the weight increase. The options suggested seem very strange as just checked and their weights seem insignificant.

Mud flaps=2kg
Wood floor=5kg
Mattress=6kg

It would be good if they told you at what point they deem the vehicle un-buildable i.e. what's the minimum payload they will supply it with.

The sport pack or any 18" wheel option should be beneficial as the spare wheel is removed saving a fair bit of weight. Being cynical could what is being offered be based around the options they make the most money on!
The floor is an odd one eh? Surely its just a different vinyl - Replacing the existing one, not in additional too. Is that really 5kg extra?

The floor is an odd one eh? Surely its just a different vinyl - Replacing the existing one, not in additional too. Is that really 5kg extra?
The California Chris video shows it’s a plywood floor with a wood effect (vinyl) top so I expect heavier than the grey plastic standard floor

The California Chris video shows it’s a plywood floor with a wood effect (vinyl) top so I expect heavier than the grey plastic standard floor
Ah - didn't realise that. Is that the video where he talks through all the options?

Mud flaps=2kg
Wood floor=5kg
Mattress=6kg

the diff lock shows at 1kg difference on my build and the fuel tank 8kg difference for the 80litre option

Becoming increasing obsessed now even though they have repeated told me I have no weight issues with my build.

Removable tow bar is the heaviest item I can find at 17kg difference when removed.
Have to admit I never thought about weight when spec'ing. Mine's a 150 so won't be overweight but heavy options will impact on fuel economy I suppose. Suppose too that the sport pack will reduce weight as no spare wheel, but the wood floor and tow bar alone adding 23kg...
...actually that's about half a wife isn't it? Not too bad. I know what I need to ditch to get my mpg up ;)

the diff lock shows at 1kg difference on my build and the fuel tank 8kg difference for the 80litre option
My dealer confirmed the weights were the same as they have on their system so I would think they should be accurate. We both got to the same weight for my order at least.

I think the fuel tank is measured at 90% capacity so 8kg seems a bit low.. No idea about how much a diff lock should weigh though!

My dealer confirmed the weights were the same as they have on their system so I would think they should be accurate. We both got to the same weight for my order at least.

I think the fuel tank is measured at 90% capacity so 8kg seems a bit low.. No idea about how much a diff lock should weigh though!
c.820g/litre apparently. The tank itself is plastic apparently so guess its pretty light. But yes a little low

All this is astonishing, how can a professional company who say they are the biggest car manufacturer in the world be in this position. We are getting mixed messages as I have been told our order is fine and we have virtually all the heavy stuff including 4 wheel drive. I doubt there will be lots of questions and no answers for everyone with no certainly until you can see it and hand the cash over. My opinion of VW can only be described using words that would be totally unacceptable on here it’s such a shame when I guess all of us would have been so excited the day we handed over our deposit thinking about great times ahead. No choice but to stick with it ....suck it and see has to be the motto now !!

All this is astonishing, how can a professional company who say they are the biggest car manufacturer in the world be in this position. We are getting mixed messages as I have been told our order is fine and we have virtually all the heavy stuff including 4 wheel drive. I doubt there will be lots of questions and no answers for everyone with no certainly until you can see it and hand the cash over. My opinion of VW can only be described using words that would be totally unacceptable on here it’s such a shame when I guess all of us would have been so excited the day we handed over our deposit thinking about great times ahead. No choice but to stick with it ....suck it and see has to be the motto now !!
Agree entirely, no option as its what I want so will have to wait for it. Accessories seem to be going in a similar situation so at least I can order those early and then put then in the garage till the time comes.

Mud flaps=2kg
Wood floor=5kg
Mattress=6kg

Update:

My specification was re-ordered and the “error in structure” problem with my order resolved with the deletion on the 80l fuel tank option.

Case closed for me.

Had to laugh when I asked - “next steps?”

“We just have to wait for the factory to confirm the build week”

Update:

My specification was re-ordered and the “error in structure” problem with my order resolved with the deletion on the 80l fuel tank option.

Case closed for me.

Had to laugh when I asked - “next steps?”

“We just have to wait for the factory to confirm the build week”
I have a Tow bar on mine plus the 80lt fuel tank and 18inch Palmerstons, but no spare wheel mine will be way over the top on that basis

Spot on mate. I am a bit sad that I cancelled my order but reading stuff like this makes my decision easier to swallow! It really is unacceptable by VW. Never any apologies or offers to help - well not in my case there wasn’t.

Mud flaps=2kg
Wood floor=5kg
Mattress=6kg

I keep wondering about the payload?!
How much are you then allowed to carry before you go overweight?
Coming from the horsebox world this is a well discussed issue with payloads etc
Anybody know VW's allowances?!

I keep wondering about the payload?!
How much are you then allowed to carry before you go overweight?
Coming from the horsebox world this is a well discussed issue with payloads etc
Anybody know VW's allowances?!
Well on the 199 it was 512kg for the 2 wheel drive and and 405kg on The 4motion but in true to form VW have not published that information for vehicles with the 204 engine which is very useful but the do like to keep their customers in the dark.

I will be pulling a caravan with my 4 motion and I don’t think the payload has anything to do with towing although the maximum nose weight is/was 100kg If that helps. Better brains than mine may have a different opinion.

Well on the 199 it was 512kg for the 2 wheel drive and and 405kg on The 4motion but in true to form VW have not published that information for vehicles with the 204 engine which is very useful but the do like to keep their customers in the dark.

I will be pulling a caravan with my 4 motion and I don’t think the payload has anything to do with towing although the maximum nose weight is/was 100kg If that helps. Better brains than mine may have a different opinion.

They can't issue the payload until they know how much the van weighs!

If you are towing with a nose weight of 100KG, that is 100kg of your payload that you are using.

Add 3x 75kg passengers and if you were starting with 405kg you've got only 80kg left for luggage etc so you would need to be carrying your heavy stuff in whatever you are towing. You can see why the loss of another 25Kg on emissions gear could be a problem.

Last edited:
They can't issue the payload until they know how much the van weighs!

If you are towing with a nose weight of 100KG, that is 100kg of your payload that you are using.

Add 3x 75kg passengers and if you were starting with 405kg you've got only 80kg left for luggage etc so you would need to be carrying your heavy stuff in whatever you are towing.
Thanks Andy that's interesting & something to be aware of with fully loaded vans!!

Back