Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Build date fiasco from VW

It also assumes 90% fuel & a 75kg driver so 4 fatties & no luggage could be a problem.

Add in 25kg emissions, 14kg towbar, 8kg fuel tank, 6kg wooden and I can see quite a lot of overweight vans.

It also assumes 90% fuel & a 75kg driver so 4 fatties & no luggage could be a problem.

Add in 25kg emissions, 14kg towbar, 8kg fuel tank, 6kg wooden and I can see quite a lot of overweight vans.
Yes VW are obviously concerned to be stalling - the horse world is only too aware of overloading issues especially since the evolution of the 3.5ton lorries - it all stacks up very quickly & not something ordinarily people give any thought too but it would appear some thought & education is required in this field now!

Yes VW are obviously concerned to be stalling - the horse world is only too aware of overloading issues especially since the evolution of the 3.5ton lorries - it all stacks up very quickly & not something ordinarily people give any thought too but it would appear some thought & education is required in this field now!
Looking at some of the setups posted on this Forum I would be very surprised if a significant number of them weren't overloaded.

Looking at some of the setups posted on this Forum I would be very surprised if a significant number of them weren't overloaded.
Ridiculous position VW are in. Would their simplest move, to ensure their customers aren’t inconvenienced, and are able to buy all desired expensive options, to use the T32 chassis for the 204ps?

Yes I personally hadnt even given it a thought until all the above discussion on why so many delays being tied up with weight issues - I think I will be fine as travelling light minus animals, children, husband !!

Ridiculous position VW are in. Would their simplest move, to ensure their customers aren’t inconvenienced, and are able to buy all desired expensive options, to use the T32 chassis for the 204ps?

They have already uprated the T30 to 3080kg instead of the 3000kg it would be as a van. I would have thought all it needs is the rear springs off a T32 to get the extra 120kg - then you find that the alloys don't have sufficient load rating etc etc

That would seem to be a simple solution but the fact that they haven't would indicate that it's not that simple.

Could be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that there was an EU tax reason for sticking with the T30. Completely agree on the T32 though as asking customers to remove 5kg or so options here and there just seems ridiculous. Supplying a California with less payload than an average family car seems unacceptable to me.

I've always thought that should at least be an option.
The reason I think is, not confirmed, that in most EU Countries there is a weight differentiation as regards to type classification when 3,000kgs is exceeded. UK is 3,500kgs.
If correct then only RHD would be required in T32 version which most likely isn't viable for VW to offer as an option.

I think any weight issue isn't related to payload but it will push up the emission figures possibly beyond the limits.
Awning will probably be more of a drag issue but this is now standard fit.

Could be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that there was an EU tax reason for sticking with the T30. Completely agree on the T32 though as asking customers to remove 5kg or so options here and there just seems ridiculous. Supplying a California with less payload than an average family car seems unacceptable to me.
Do you know what the payload is for an average family car?

I've always thought that should at least be an option.
The reason I think is, not confirmed, that in most EU Countries there is a weight differentiation as regards to type classification when 3,000kgs is exceeded. UK is 3,500kgs.
If correct then only RHD would be required in T32 version which most likely isn't viable for VW to offer as an option.

The Ocean is already at 3080Kg.

I just had my weekly update. Now week 11 so getting much closer and actually not that far away from my original dealer supplied estimate. Fingers crossed we are on the home straight now. Confirmed again no weight issues for me to worry about.

my options are attached a few more than I remembered, but obviously it hasn’t hurt my weight limit yet!

67B47EDA-1DE6-476B-BF23-CBFB80BDA710.jpeg

Well I have just been told by VW chat that I have an unconfirmed build dat week 10....wow progress!

Well I have just been told by VW chat that I have an unconfirmed build dat week 10....wow progress!
Hope I am not speaking too soon but also no mention of a spec change being needed to reduce weight

Seeing your update just prompted me to check again and I'm also now week 10! Just hoping it stays there! Dealer told me 20 earlier this month and vw chat gave me 16 on friday so it is certainly heading in the right direction after heading in the wrong one for so long... Fingers crossed :)

What I heard they are nearly 18 mnths behind now in production due to Covid and believe it or not the super increase in orders because everyone wants a California in Covid time! They are all buying their piece of freedom! So enjoy the wait or sell your order to someone else!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

What I heard they are nearly 18 mnths behind now in production due to Covid and believe it or not the super increase in orders because everyone wants a California in Covid time! They are all buying their piece of freedom! So enjoy the wait or sell your order to someone else!

I don’t know of anyone whose waited 18 months...Doesn’t explain the (mainly coasts and beaches?) that were ordered in November and December being delivered now/soon

Last edited:
I don’t know if anyone whose waited 18
Months...Doesn’t explain the (mainly coasts and beaches?) that were ordered in November and December being delivered now...
VW don't just build Californias on the production lines. Similar problems with all Transporters. Check the T6 Forum. Some have had orders cancelled by VW..

VW don't just build Californias on the production lines. Similar problems with all Transporters. Check the T6 Forum. Some have had orders cancelled by VW..
I would rather not check the T6 forum if would only serve as a reminder of my impetuous decision to buy what is a fairly unreliable poorly built work an to go on holiday in just because it has a funny roof and a not very useful kitchen inside. A fool and his money are easily parted. Still can’t wait to physically have one though.

This is the first time I've heard mention anything like 18 months wait. Was this a reliable source that you heard it from?
In the UK delays seem to have been shorter than in some other countries, perhaps that will change post ------------ January 1st.

I heard it from a dealer in The Netherlands explaining the enormous amount of orders that were being placed and the delays occurring drom that.

Time will tell. Its someone else's turn to ask the chat for an update. I have used up my slot for this week.

Back