Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Build date fiasco from VW

What do you think the dealers reaction would beif we cancelled our order? and changed back to a coast, our original choice, we have no confirmation from factory yet as far as I know
The dealer would be foolish if they weren't polite and sympathetic, doing there best to look after you in hope that you will be a loyal, long term customer.

Over the course of many months, people's situations change. And it's no small thing expecting people to wait with little to no information for an indefinite amount of time for such an expensive thing - unable to make plans for the Spring and Summer etc.

Given the circumstance, in my view you aren't only legally entitled to do what you like re. your order, but also ethically justified too.

In short, I wouldn't worry about it. Just do what's best for you.

I know it's not what prospective Owners want to hear, but isn't VW not being transparent - they just don't know when the vehicles are going to be built. Gone are the days when a car manufacturer made every component that goes to build a vehicle. Nowadays they just assemble all the parts, each of which is made by a different supplier spread all over the Globe. Each supplier having to deal with the effects of Covid 19 wherever they are and the effects the virus has on transportation and final assembly. They could, I suppose just tell all prospective buyers Week 40 Build and bring it forward as supplies of components allow, but that may also upset some. Either way the Virus has had a big effect globally and unfortunately vehicle manufacturing is also global nowadays. So what can they do, be transparent - We Don't know, keep checking, or Build week 40 2021, but it could change.

What do you think the dealers reaction would beif we cancelled our order? and changed back to a coast, our original choice, we have no confirmation from factory yet as far as I know
I would agree that you can change this - I changed my mind on colour & as not started build it wasnt a problem at all.

Hi Guys
Just to throw my hat into the ring, it’s very frustrating at the moment for ourselves regarding build weeks and the current state of affairs of build week. The buildweeks change regularly at the moment and as a dealer it’s very hard to work out what is going on.
How your individuals dealer is communicating with you I’m unsure but I try and do an update once a week or 10 days.
I can assure you the dealers are just as frustrated as you guys are because the water is very muddy and isn’t clear for anyone. If anyone has any questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

In my experience, our order took nearly a year, the dealers have such demand they don't care whether you cancel your order. You will get your deposit back. You really need to decide what is right for you.

In my experience, our order took nearly a year, the dealers have such demand they don't care whether you cancel your order. You will get your deposit back. You really need to decide what is right for you.
We spec’d a coast and a 4motion with same the dealer at the same time, we choose the 4M, so all we would be doing is ordering the coast, staying with the same dealer

I changed my order (for different reasons). Before I did I had an open discussion with the dealer.
i would atrongly suspect your dealer will keep both orders knowing they will be able to sell the Ocean for a good price when it finally arrives...
You have nothing to lose by asking (assuming the Coast arrives before the Ocean)

Dealers would probably prefer it if people cancel their orders at the moment. Instead of selling at a discount (I see drive the deal is now 12% on a new Coast), they‘ll chance their arm at list for someone who wants it when physically available. Of course, when the full economic impacts of covid kick in, they’ll be begging people not to cancel!

I ordered a new Ocean in September. It was due for delivery a couple of weeks ago but has been delayed. I must say that contrary to a number of members' frustrating experiences with their dealers reported in this thread, mine has been very good in updating me as best she can. At the moment she's unable to get a new delivery date estimate from VW. As I'm under Wales' strict lockdown rules on travel, I wouldn't be able to go any further than Tesco with it for a while, so I'm not stressing about it!

I think the majority of frustration has been with 199/204 engines. If you have a 150 on the way, you will have a lot less to worry about.

Our dealer updated us at the weekend that VW had explained to them that normally they would have approx 300 Calis on the order book in Jan. Currently there are over 1,000. As @WelshGas has rightly said, the issue is getting bigger volume deliveries from suppliers to enable them to meet the huge surge in demand.

Our dealer updated us at the weekend that VW had explained to them that normally they would have approx 300 Calis on the order book in Jan. Currently there are over 1,000. As @WelshGas has rightly said, the issue is getting bigger volume deliveries from suppliers to enable them to meet the huge surge in demand.
At least that is tangible information to process.

Best update we’ve had!

It correlates with orders potentially taking 3 times longer.

That's a really useful update. If only the online chat guys could cascade that kind of info eh? At this rate, ours could be MY22! Any idea when they change over?

Wow sorry to hear that, you must be flippin fuming :rage week 23 ? August/September? That's wiping out the summer as well! and mean nearly a year's lead time. Is it the whole 204 fiasco ?
As bad as it all is I'd still wait it out ..they might even pull the build date a bit nearer...
Yes fingers crossed that Vw have some positive news for you in the near future.

Hi Guys
Just to throw my hat into the ring, it’s very frustrating at the moment for ourselves regarding build weeks and the current state of affairs of build week. The buildweeks change regularly at the moment and as a dealer it’s very hard to work out what is going on.
How your individuals dealer is communicating with you I’m unsure but I try and do an update once a week or 10 days.
I can assure you the dealers are just as frustrated as you guys are because the water is very muddy and isn’t clear for anyone. If anyone has any questions please don’t hesitate to ask!
Hi Tom
Are you concerned about the supply of semi conductors?
Thanks for your helpful advice and tone on here. Frustrating time at the moment!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55704936

Last edited:
Hi Tom
Are you concerned about the supply of semi conductors?
Thanks for your helpful advice and tone on here. Frustrating time at the moment!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55704936
Hi
Admittedly first I’ve heard about this was today so haven’t really had a chance to look into it.
As mentioned in the comments above regarding that 1,000 in the orderbank. We found out that information and guys I can assure that’s just in the UK and I know there are currently 650 orders awaiting build weeks.
I also believe that Hannover where the California factory is made the covid infection rate is extremely high so they have extra measures in place.

My dealer said the Cali I will hopefully get sometime between Sept and Nov will be MY21. *shrugs*
That will be a first, but anything is possible this year.

Well I've given up on the idea of ordering a new van for this summer, was going to but the uncertainty of knowing when it might arrive & when therefore to sell my current van & what it might be worth at that time was worrying me.

So I've just put a deposit down on a Pre-registered T6.1 - the only one I could find anywhere with 5 seats & a towbar, its the wrong colour & has the wrong wheels, but its a spec I can live with. I have confirmation that its eligible for the £99 service pack & the extended warranty. It was registered end of December but is a 2020 model which means its got the sports mode on the gearbox (which I wanted)

The purchase price & the decent trade in for my old van ( dealer said approx £10k more than it would have been this time last year) means its a fairly painless exercise financially & I end up with something with a 5 year warranty which is good peace of mind.

If I want to I should be in a good position to do a trade in against a perfect spec van in 2022 without loosing too much.

Last edited:
Where did you find one with 5 seats? I haven’t seen any on the VW used site for ages.

Where did you find one with 5 seats? I haven’t seen any on the VW used site for ages.
You need to be talking to dealers they know about cars being released from Vw and cancelled orders that are still coming through.

If you look on auto trader even the five seat ones are generally listed as four seats. Need to be careful I've looked at details of a couple which include on the spec 5th seat preparation, this is not the extra rail!

Mine has come from a batch of prebuilt bought in by the dealer from VW. It was the only 5 seater I could find !

I finally got a reply from my dealer about my 4motion Ocean 199 which we ordered 24/9. VW chat had provisionally said week 22 build, but the dealer said it was unconfirmed at 24 and may go later...so I called it quits. They say they are happy to refund the deposit and apologised. And then, by chance, I managed to snap up a pre-Reg 70 plate exactly the spec I was after (in fact more hi-spec than I wanted) today. SO happy!!!

Back