Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a Beach with extra seats to accommodate multi-generation family

Yes, my mistake it’s £490 dropping to £155 after 5 yrs. However as far as I am aware Parkers have got it wrong for the Beach Camper. It is/should be registered as Motor Caravan unlike the Tour and so not liable for the Luxury Car Tax.

8303EC58-A70A-46B1-B73F-49F4F9A46994.jpeg

Yes, my mistake it’s £490 dropping to £155 after 5 yrs. However as far as I am aware Parkers have got it wrong for the Beach Camper. It is/should be registered as Motor Caravan unlike the Tour and so not liable for the Luxury Car Tax.

View attachment 90914
I didn’t realise it went down to £155 cheaper than a small van

Thanks, this is all useful information gathering. Will this luxury car rate also apply to electric vehicles, like the ID Buzz? Just out of curiosity because that will fall into a similar price bracket.

Might be worth noting that the tour is not identical to the beach camper, it’s doesn’t have either the pull out cooker and gas storage and it has no hook up either so can’t be plugged in to campsite electrics.

Thanks, this is all useful information gathering. Will this luxury car rate also apply to electric vehicles, like the ID Buzz? Just out of curiosity because that will fall into a similar price bracket.
No.

Yes

If not why not? Surely if the Buzz is over 40k it will attract the luxury tax.
“New cars with a list price of £40,000 or more (other than those that run solely on electricity) will pay an additional rate for 5 years from the start of the second licence.”

So the answer is no for a Buzz, assuming a list price of over £40k. It would be completely free for road tax.

I don’t know if the 3 seat bench comes with 2 or 3 rails but you will need 3 rails for the extra seats, I believe. It’s only about £90 to add it.
The Beach has 3 rails. The V5 logbook states number of seats including driver is 5.

An extra seat can be fitted but is not an option when you buy it. You may have issues with the insurance if you add one, given the V5 classification mentioned above.

The Beach has 3 rails. The V5 logbook states number of seats including driver is 5.

An extra seat can be fitted but is not an option when you buy it. You may have issues with the insurance if you add one, given the V5 classification mentioned above.
It is very easy to change the seat numbers on your V5c.
My 4Motion came with 5 seats on the V5c, and it doesn't even have the extra rail.

Yes

If not why not? Surely if the Buzz is over 40k it will attract the luxury tax.
Any All Electric vehicle is free of Annual Road Tax and Luxury Car Tax, at the moment.

Any All Electric vehicle is free of Annual Road Tax and Luxury Car Tax, at the moment.
Thanks had spotted that on the post about above. Hadn’t realised & thought they still paid the luxury bit.

Hi everyone,

I'm very much enjoying being a part of these forums for all the advice and inspiration.

We are hoping to purchase a Beach with the 3-seater bench seat and an extra seat - so that we can get out and about with my elderly parents (who are on the verge of giving up driving for health reasons) and our young children (total 4 adults and 2 children). We also hope to use it as a camper ourselves, with just the children at times too. But I suppose really the primary focus is going to be having longer days out together (and making the most of it whilst we still can). But that those who need to rest etc can come back to the van to be comfortable, make tea etc.

Does anyone else use their van like this?

Also, I can't seem to work out how to get the extra seats to add on the configurator - or is this just a quirk that I'd be better talking to a dealer about. Would it be worth getting the 7th seat as well, for extra flexibility? I'd really appreciate hearing about others experiences.

It looks like we'll probably buy new, as there aren't really any about with extra seats.
Hi,

You need the Beach Tour, not the Beach Camper.

We took delivery of our new Beach Tour 2 weeks back, and we’re loving it. We added the 2 extra seats too for when we have guests come to stay.

You won’t get the pull out kitchen, plus it’s not classed as a motorhome, but it’s perfect for us.

We’re getting an after market EHUP fitted in a few weeks time.

Doesn’t help you much but elsewhere you can have a beach camper with 7 seats, I have even used ours, once!

If you go this route with elderly parents, consider that the extra seat restricts access to the rear for less mobile individuals, ie getting passed a seat in the door can be a challenge. If you put the seat next to the cooker, access is easier, but you lose the seat if using the cooker.

You may find better vehicles like the new multi van MPV easier to get in and out of, or carrying a step May help. Try before you buy?

Back