Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali drivers don't wave.

:D well I just wave with a one flash, that seems to get a response ! But these days I wave at everybody anyway , my wife thinks I've gone mad , I'm just short sighted and happy :D cheers :hello candy Cali

I was driving ours back from the dealers last wk, and had a wave from a grey Cali running past me in the middle lane!

Coming from the aircooled "scene", I'm hoping that the Cali lot are just as friendly, looking forward to finding out!

:hello

David Eccles said:
so what did you used to drive then? :thumb

I had a '63 23-window Samba until we found out we were expecting our first kid o had to get something a bit more reliable!! :D

A 23 window! the ultimate bus!
gorgeous to look at ....

David Eccles said:
A 23 window! the ultimate bus!
gorgeous to look at ....

Exactly, good to look at, pain in the a@#e to use!

:rofl

Yep, I can reflect most of my experiences in the above.

I did encounter a particulalry muted response from a Cali owner this year whilst abroad on holiday. New 12 plate Cali on the same campsite as us... did not appear at all interested in talking to us (although I tried) so quickly took the hint and sloped off...
...well it's not the Cali's fault they have the owner they have - however, on the whole we all tend to be like minded peeps.

I always look on the positive side and think that a Cali that doesn't wave simply hasn't seen me in time?

:D

knighty said:
I was driving ours back from the dealers last wk, and had a wave from a grey Cali running past me in the middle lane!

Coming from the aircooled "scene", I'm hoping that the Cali lot are just as friendly, looking forward to finding out!

:hello

David may have better luck than me ,but i had waves from not air-cooled ,but water-cooled and a lot of non-v-dub's as well when i drove about in my early bay...
not quite as good in the cali . :doh ....but it's so much more than a wave ;)

I must admit I do wave at every VW hoping someone will wave back. Having only owned my Cali Berghaus for 2 months, I may have not had time to see many waves!

PS how do you add a pic to your profile?H

Roz

Just had a fantastic chat on Thursday at Tesco filling up the Cali with a delivery driver who has a T25 at home...VW's certainly break the ice.

Great to hear how his family have grown up with many different Vw's.

Like others here, I wave at anything remotely VW Camper. Some are fantastically enthusiastic in their response. Others see themselves as far too cool for something so mundane. Let's be optimistic and greet anything that could possibly be a fellow VW campervan owner. The infection could become contagious and soon there will be no more miserable gits!

I wave at everyone but then I'm just a flaunting old tart :oops:

i would say 90% of cali drivers i pass don't wave or aren't real cali owners ,but just vw owners that have the cali as a means and don't really get the vw campervan for what it really is about.
:bananadance

I think that it was on the single track lane that runs around the coast to and from Applecross that we met an oncoming dutch plated Westfalia Cali (a white one too, it was like driving at a mirror!). They went mental with waving and tbh, it's quite infectious.

Rosana said later that she though we'd have to stop and exchange hugs...

:bananadance

Not really into the whole VW thing, but it's nice to exchange a wave ;)

We seem to get plenty of waves. I wonder if having a lei hanging from the mirror helps?

I think I am still in that giddy new-owner stage and hugely excited every time I see anything resembling a Cali...same as others, it often tends to be a builders van, or round here lots of airport taxi Caravelles!
We did have a lovely convoy up from Dover with a UK Caravelle and a Belgian Cali the other day though...not really any waves, but a silent acknowledgement and we kept in convoy for a good 20 mins or so...

I posted this exact same thing way back in April!
having moved on (sob) from our 71 Bay I was excited to join a new band of wavers..but like you all have said its tricky working out whats coming towards you so anyone gets waved at! lots of confused people peering at you! in spie of inspecting carefully all T5-type vehicles I still cant 'quite' spot the difference
Could we all stick something highly visible (like fluorescent) in the top corner of our windscreen..not huge but just big enough and bright enough to spot as we approach each other? maybe just a fluorescent dot? lets start a new Cali trend!
hopeful from Woking…
Kim x

we're not too far from you Kim - I'll keep an eye out!
I tend to just use the awning as my guide, but do then get it muddled up with converted Transporters etc! I like your idea…!

well I'll keep an eye out too..but probably will still be waving at strangers!

While I find Cali owners wave in real life, most of my posts of late on here get ignored.

It's nice to see your name on some posts again Kernowlad, please take this as a wave from me :hello

Found a great website that makes stickers to let people know you're a 'waver'. Profits go to charity! Waiting for mine to arrive!
http://thevwwave.co.uk

Great find Rozzie, shall we have a Cali specific colour, we can then all get one.

Back