Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali drivers don't wave.

That's what I understood it to be.so have gone for a blue outie.

Yes, I think that's right,and that was my reasoning in the end too!

I ordered one of these stickers well over a week ago but haven't seen a delivery yet. Anyone else had a problem? :?: :?: :?:

yes HistoryBob, I have (ordered 22 january) but I live in Belgium as you already know ;) and maybe that's why it takes some time with us.
We'll keep on waiting :thumb
Greetings
Hope to see you again, maybe at COTF.
Calibusje
Belgium

Yup I ordered around the 22nd too but haven't received anything yet either…we probably have put them out of stock with a rush of orders from the forum!

maui2512 said:
Yup I ordered around the 22nd too but haven't received anything yet either…we probably have put them out of stock with a rush of orders from the forum!

Let's hope that's all it is. Everything else I order via the internet zooms to my door before I've had time to tell the missus :lol:

yes indeed! Also recieved the decal :thumb

Back in 1970 I had VW beetle and everyone waived. Since then I have 3 VW campers between 1982 and 1990 whilst my children were small. The first two being very rusty. However everyone waived and were friendly when we met on small fields all over the place. Many years on we have just bought a Beach so that our children can take our grandchildren camping the way we did. VW owners are just as friendly and courteous as
they were 44 years ago.
Life is too short to be miserable. I love being a VW camper owner again.
George

Come on now....
A VW is just another vehicle, however it's configured, and however proud you are of it. We bought a California because they're truly exceptional and versatile recreational vehicles - not to join some exclusive club. We tried other formats that just weren't, well, the business, and we became fed up with the captain-hatted RV drivers who waved smugly at any similar vehicle on the road.
We can't recall ever being waved at by other VW drivers, although the camaraderie we've experienced from all sorts of camper van ownrs (including non-VW) has been wonderful. We've come to the conclusion that it's more to do with like-minded people than the vehicle they drive. So we'd suggest you ignore the maker's badge and either wave at everyone or wait until you're at a site and share experiences with all sorts of van owners. Much more rewarding than a wave or a finger.......

Big wave today from a non-California VW campervan. He initiated it and my reply was instant. Proves only one thing: Salsa Red is the friendliest colour (both were that handsome colour).

Completely agree with edjrb in finding other campervaners a helpful breed, the vehicle badge is much less relevant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me the vehicle badge is also less relevant, but hey, it ìs a vw and we've chosen for that kind of campervan. Would be stupid to put a ford or any other make on it. Also: I like decals on my van and like to chose withs one I put on it, and I purchased the decal also to support the movement the ChILD Lung Foundation. I'm also an ethousiast of the westfalia california (just like there are enthousiasts of vespa's or dogs -or a special breed of it- or collecting stamps or making models).
I have joined this group of enthousiasts of the vw california to share experiences, meet other people (on this forum and at meetings) and to widen my horizon. And for me that's an extra on top of talking to other camperowners (not only campervanowners) at a campersite or traveling around.
So my waving doesn't have anything to do with being in some exclusive club!
Greetings and a lot of waves :hello
Calibusje (also member of a Dutch camperforum, and a Belgian one ;) and a fan of camping in general)
Belgium

We always try to wave to Cali's (indeed any T4/5 campers and even get the occasoinal return wave from T2's :D - to the point of sometimes getting it wrong in busy/fast traffic and getting confused looks from the odd assortment of non camper T5's that get waved at .....

Emmets/Grockle: former normally associated with Cornwall the derivation being I understand "Ant" i.e. tourists crawling all over the place like ants the latter more Devon/Dorset similar theme but the derivation I understand to allude to "Clowns" i.e. with red faces esp. noses alluding to holiday makers daftly sun bathing too long!
both terms = non locals esp.holiday makers
:) Stephen

I THINK WE SHOULD HAVE OUR OWN WAVE, IE A BIG C AND A THUMBS UP :lol: ANY OTHER IDEAS,

CANDYCAL BILL

I wave if we all do it surely it will catch on...

I put up a casual hand to conversions to.... :D

Shaun

It's the older vans that undoubtedly are more friendly...generalising I know but it's true

Rozzie50 said:
Found a great website that makes stickers to let people know you're a 'waver'. Profits go to charity! Waiting for mine to arrive!
http://thevwwave.co.uk

make sure you get an inside sticker ,as the outside one started coming off ,so took it off and to be honest they don't look that great unless your cali has loads of other stickers on it .

Loads of waving and flashing from me there and back from the new forest at the weekend and i didn't get any in return .... i had loads of friendly fire from other T4&5's ,but out of about 10 cali's not even a head turn .. i think i'll give up on the cali's and stick to the v-dubbers me thinks :bananadance

I always wave, had a few nice wave from some nice conversions, I think it's just the older ones, either too slow to react or plain grumy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even dispatched a conversion on the way home on Sunday, the 174 does the trick :p

In 2.5 years ownership, I have come to the conclusion that Cali owners rarely wave whereas converted T5s, T4s and T25s wave a lot.

Are Cali owners a bit grumpy or maybe too "posh" to wave?

Last three waves I've done to Cali owners have been ignored.

It is usual for "Splittie" or "Bay" window drivers to wave or flash lights when passing each other. The Mrs loves this little quirk of classic VW ownership. I can't say I'm too bothered to be honest but I'm a grump.

After flashing and waving at several Cali Ocean and Beach owners over the past few weeks she has concluded "they're all miserable b4st4rds as none of them wave".

I've told her "It's just you they're not waving at"

So, what is the etiquette among Cali owners?

To wave or not to wave? That is the question ;)

I always wave if I notice in time (I look for the awning on the “wrong” side) but am often too late. Always draw level with another Cali if going in same direction on m/way but don’t always get a response :(

I never wave at Tupperware. I sometimes wave at conversions.

To be honest, there are so many vans on the road, it doesn’t seem as “special”. This summer in ferry queues I’ve ambled over to other VW campers, but no one seems interested to chat. Perhaps I look like a psycho...

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

Back