Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California conversion to electric?

• Thread starter cristina McLean
  • Start date
I have considered having a C2G ( car to grid ) system installed in my property after investigation the company in charge of the grid system feeding my house have turned down my application for the following reasons
1. I already have a 4Kw Solar PV system ( the max allowed at time of install )
2. Our estate is fed from one transformer ( this means if transformer blows up its a long down time repair )
Most estates are fed at both ends to enable them to switch both ends in case of a fault , this has been like it for 30 years and is costly to improve
3. Imputing 4KW back into the grid means the immediate houses connected to the same Phase as me could read 240v or even higher
So adding another feed from my car would cause all sorts of problems
It seems no investment is being done it improving older parts of the grid ( I live in the centre of town )

New developments being installed are upgraded to take these extra facility including fibre internet directly into the house all paid for by the developer

seems everyone wins except the end user

If I was able to generate 8KW back into the grid it would supply a small number of houses on the same phase ether side of my house

I'm feeling smug about not buying a new Cali at 76k and saving both the env and my wallet from wasting more materials on another car.

I have a Cali which was our sole vehicle for some time (bought 2nd hand) now I have added a Tesla Model S (2nd hand) we're never going to convert those who think they already know all the answers but I can say from here the future is amazing! We have solar and I can throttle the car to trickle charge in the daylight hours which is more than enough to keep it topped up from the daily commute. So far longer distances are great - my bladder and my back can't last more than 200 miles so I don't see why we expect a car's range to exceed that

I have a Cali which was our sole vehicle for some time (bought 2nd hand) now I have added a Tesla Model S (2nd hand) we're never going to convert those who think they already know all the answers but I can say from here the future is amazing! We have solar and I can throttle the car to trickle charge in the daylight hours which is more than enough to keep it topped up from the daily commute. So far longer distances are great - my bladder and my back can't last more than 200 miles so I don't see why we expect a car's range to exceed that
I would love a Tesla, but I have no driveway on which to charge one, and although your bladder can't last more than 2 hours you still have to hang around at the services for another 2 whilst it charges.

My brother has a Ampera than has a little "donkey" engine as a generator for times when he runs low on battery, his work have provided free charging stations so he commutes from Cheltenham to cirencester everyday for almost free...

hardly - 170 miles of range in as little as 30 minutes and the tesla superchargers are more than doubling in the uk

ampera was a wonderful car - ahead of its time, wish they still did them new in UK, I'd have had one

I'm feeling smug about not buying a new Cali at 76k and saving both the env and my wallet from wasting more materials on another car.
76k? Is that how much they cost now? :Nailbiting

You must have ticked every single option including the solid gold sink, plug and tap to reach that figure. Californias are great vehicles but IMO they are not 76K great.

ampera was a wonderful car - ahead of its time, wish they still did them new in UK, I'd have had one
He is in a real quandary now as he wants a new EV but there is nothing wrong with the ampera and has no reason to get rid of it. So can't justify it to his missus.

big reveal of the truck on 26th October (taking a lesson from apple methinks with these reveals and live streams)

2020 Cali mule/prototype spy shot.

Ocean graphic on the side?

IMG_2713.JPG

When prices come down, I plan to buy a small electric car, strip the guts out of it and use the resulting pile to re-power the old Westy! Ok Ok, today this doesn't make much sense because prices are still too high for the new tech and thus not many options available. In a few years I don't think it is too much of a stretch to think we'll see entry level electrics for around the £10K mark. Guys are currently spending that and more retrofitting Westys with Subaru power... The old girl may be on the road for decades yet ;)

The reality here is that these changes are coming, possibly faster than we think. Think as recently as leaded petrol, all the sudden can't get it! Europe especially will become more and more complicated in the near term as new regulations and restrictions are dreamt up. Though I've always been a petrol (or diesel) head, electric power as a means of propulsion is just so much better. Infinitely variable, full torque from zero rpm etc. For non believers, go and try one. Motorcycle, boat, car, doesn't matter. It's just better. Giga farad super capacitors anyone?

Im a non believer.

I’d rather my Cali made some noise!

I never had to lift like that at L'eau Rouge when I went around there in my Avis rental car from Brussels airport...

Im a non believer.

I’d rather my Cali made some noise!

Yes but the Cali sounds more like a tractor than a Formula One racing car. I like listening to proper engines too but I'd far rather have electric than diesel once the range and charging is good enough for a camper. Have you driven an electric car?

A lot of the posters on this thread have no experience of E-vehicles.
I’m almost a year into driving an electric van and I wish I had my old diesel back...!!!

Driving along the motorway and seeing the van drain a 50mile range down to 25 miles and then it hits 10 miles and limp mode, max speed 40 miles an hour on the motorway is unsafe & alarming.
You pray the slip road is coming and a recharge point closeby.
Having to stop for a recharge half way through the day, it’s unproductive and such a waste of time.
Finding a charging point that’s available to use or working. Just another challenge...!!!
Finding the van has no power in the morning, because someone has turned off the charger.
Finding the van has no power in the morning because someone has nicked the charger... £600 to replace :shocked
The initial cost of the vehicle, isn’t cheap.
Wait until you need a service, £££
Finding a technician that knows how to fault fund and repair. Honestly, if the computer doesn’t register the fault, no one has a clue:headbang

I could go on and on.
E vehicles and real world driving are millions of miles apart at the minute.

Be careful what you wish for.

A lot of the posters on this thread have no experience of E-vehicles.
I’m almost a year into driving an electric van and I wish I had my old diesel back...!!!

Driving along the motorway and seeing the van drain a 50mile range down to 25 miles and then it hits 10 miles and limp mode, max speed 40 miles an hour on the motorway is unsafe & alarming.
You pray the slip road is coming and a recharge point closeby.
Having to stop for a recharge half way through the day, it’s unproductive and such a waste of time.
Finding a charging point that’s available to use or working. Just another challenge...!!!
Finding the van has no power in the morning, because someone has turned off the charger.
Finding the van has no power in the morning because someone has nicked the charger... £600 to replace :shocked
The initial cost of the vehicle, isn’t cheap.
Wait until you need a service, £££
Finding a technician that knows how to fault fund and repair. Honestly, if the computer doesn’t register the fault, no one has a clue:headbang

I could go on and on.
E vehicles and real world driving are millions of miles apart at the minute.

Be careful what you wish for.
I bought a new Crafter for work earlier this year and and saw when studying the brochure that the eCrafter is now available.
Approx 100 mile range - when the majority of vans that size are used by couriers what is the point?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

When you consider the designed use of a camper, we are nowhere near electric powered.
Small city runabout vans and cars yes, touring the world in a retrofitted electric Cali, fraid not yet.
Battery technology, ... power density, charge rates and were is the charging electricity going to come from and be distributed, £££ not adequate yet.
For the future I am considering opening a touring campsite with its own power station running on ... mmm

the infrastructure to support electrification doesnt exist and wont for a long time. My friend has an i3 and his wife describes it as your silly little novelty car last seen crawling up the M6 try ing to stop the range extender kicking in. Cant see us flying in an e plane or travelling by e ship anytime soon and thats where the emissions come from. Where does the energy come from - fossil fuels.
Investing in old e cars will be like buying old mobile phone, knackered battery and worthless.
We need another leap technically before they can be taken seriously. That leap imo is inductive loop principle in motorways and A roads with battery used for B and unclassified roads , this would allow waggons to actually be viable.

Electric cali would have to be a 4 tonner and even smaller. no thanks

Company car drivers buy the 5 series BMW,s e version and the like and dont even bother to charge them up having merely bought them to avoid tax then just throw the fuel in. Like ethanol / rapeseed bio fuels and dieselisation its just a phase.

Back