Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California conversion to electric?

• Thread starter cristina McLean
  • Start date
Electric cars have been around for 100 years so I would say that progress has been pretty slow!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes, you all know it so much better than me.

But in the end, the automotive industry will have to change. And if it will be an E-car with batteries, a hydrogen cell or a nuclear power plant in the trunk - time will tell. Until then there will be a lot of experimenting, prototyping and probably also more than a few capital mistakes.

I bought a new Crafter for work earlier this year and and saw when studying the brochure that the eCrafter is now available.
Approx 100 mile range - when the majority of vans that size are used by couriers what is the point?

My Nissan is 90-100 miles fully charged.
However, those numbers change depending how your driving, if you use aircon or heating or lights.
On the plus side, it shifts on acceleration. We have done some unofficial tests at work.
0-60 around 8 seconds. Not bad for a glorified milk float :D

Electric cars have been around for 100 years so I would say that progress has been pretty slow!

have you see new Ford F150 truck?
Also is incredible power and distance Rivian truck!
Extra super range and is also can pulling trailer very heavy long distance.
Is electric vehicle technology moves now speed to the electric!

Read a report on electric car pollution versus fosil fueled cars by Volvo.
It said that e cars were only equal to fosil fueled after 70,000 miles travelled. This was due the high pollution produced at the production phase.
Volvo said that they were concentrating on this area to get a real time impact on pollution.

Read a report on electric car pollution versus fosil fueled cars by Volvo.
It said that e cars were only equal to fosil fueled after 70,000 miles travelled. This was due the high pollution produced at the production phase.
Volvo said that they were concentrating on this area to get a real time impact on pollution.

Volvo (legacy car manufacturer) said what now?

Volvo now Chinese owned and going 100% electric rapidly.

Our 2008 T5 is horribly polluting but it is just used for holidays and takes a family of 4 away for 2 weeks.
The alternative mode of transport would be an aeroplane.
I think the last time I checked that would be 12 times more polluting but that doesn't take into account the extra damage of the aeroplane's CO2 being created at 30,000 feet.

Our 2008 T5 is horribly polluting but it is just used for holidays and takes a family of 4 away for 2 weeks.
The alternative mode of transport would be an aeroplane.
I think the last time I checked that would be 12 times more polluting but that doesn't take into account the extra damage of the aeroplane's CO2 being created at 30,000 feet.

I’m buying a 2008 Cali, selling my 2018 Cali and buying an electric car with the balance.

We’ll also then only be using the Cali for camping and whenever we can’t fit everything in the car.

Last edited:
I’m buying a 2008 Cali and selling my 2018 and buying an electric car with the balance.

We’ll also then only be using the Cali for camping and whenever we can’t fit everything in the car.
It’s the best vintage. Best engine hands down. Chain driven. No Adblue. Best auto. Best upholstery. Best grille. And (whisper it) they’re all T5s aren’t they, I mean, really.

It’s the best vintage. Best engine hands down. Chain driven. No Adblue. Best auto. Best upholstery. Best grille. And (whisper it) they’re all T5s aren’t they, I mean, really.

For some reason I can't DM you @Lambeth Cali

Had a few questions (and going off topic, sorry everyone)

I'm picking up the 2008 in a bit.

Is yours a 174bhp, any issues, how many miles has yours done?

Did you ever hear something about replacing the Drive for Air Conditioning pump and alternator? I was told every 100,000 miles

What kind of MPG do you get, any other options / tips kindly welcome!

I'm tempted to open another thread for the horrible Manchester CAZ (400 sq miles and ALL T5s and 5.1s are £10/day) but will ask here first.

There is a 57 plate 'twin' of mine nearby and using their reg number gets a 'free' for Bath whereas I get a charge, which must be down to my missing entries. My data is below, can anyone share theirs here, or message me if easier.

Much appreciated.

IMG_20220114_162952.jpg

IMG_20220114_163023.jpg

I'm tempted to open another thread for the horrible Manchester CAZ (400 sq miles and ALL T5s and 5.1s are £10/day) but will ask here first.

There is a 57 plate 'twin' of mine nearby and using their reg number gets a 'free' for Bath whereas I get a charge, which must be down to my missing entries. My data is below, can anyone share theirs here, or message me if easier.

Much appreciated.

View attachment 88160

View attachment 88161
This thread may be of interest to you https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/bath-clean-air-zone.40056/page-2#post-542125

T5 in bath is chargeable but the if V5 says M1 and motorcaravan you can apply for an exemption. Your V5 says PLG and less than 3.5 tonnes for which I’m not aware of any exemptions to the bath scheme.

Hi everyone,
We have a 2013 Blue Motion Cali which we love. However, we are now concerned about it being powered by diesel. With the current situation in regards to pollution by diesel engines, tax and possible faster depreciation of its financial value, we are wondering whether it is possible to convert the engine to electric. Does anyone know if this can be done on this model?
Many thanks all
Hi Cristina, we have a 2018 Cali Ocean. We like to go electric or hydrogen in future. VW has stated that there will be an ID (based on buzz) California by 2025. I have no clue (as anyone) about prices yet, but seeing VW's innovation in production techniques like the new MEB platforms it might surprise us on the positive side. They just introduced their T7 Multivan (hybrid) for a bit more than 2/3 of the price on the T6.1 Multivan, which means that in the Netherlands the T7 (ugly thing b.t.w.) is about 25K to 30K Euro's cheaper.
Seeing also that convertions from Petrol to electric also become more and more available (especially in Germany), plus the fact that developing new types of batteries just started,
leads us to the following approach;

I follow al kind of developments and innovations via the internet. Conversion to electric (about 30K-35K euros) is too pricy at this moment, but I think when competition and batteries gets better, prices will drop. That means that (despite increasing of the write-down) we will hold on for the T6 Cali for another couple of years. During that time it wil get clearer where the electric market will go. We will not replace it before 2025 and wait for the ID (Buzz) California, OR if the competition has a better offer (although I think VW feels a pride and must in developing the Cali all electric since "Diesel Gate".)

Just enjoy your lovely diesel Cali and don't worry.

The pollution created in the manufacture of the parts and batteries required for the conversion alone would probably make the whole project pointless. How many miles a year do you do anyway?

As for depreciation, you have already suffered the biggest drop from new and I doubt if the residuals will be affected that much, if any, by the latest diesel bashing rhetoric. It's a much sought after Cali.

If this issue bothers you enough to consider looking for a new eco friendly replacement vehicle, then its worth giving the following points careful consideration. Whilst vehicle technology is constantly improving, especially when it comes to protecting the environment, if you were to replace your current diesel vehicle, it's my guess that instead of cutting your current pollution footprint, you would actually be increasing it. The manufacture of any new vehicle would involve creating considerable pollution, much much more than the polution involved in your continuing to use your existing Cali.

Further more, if you were to buy a new eco vehicle, what would you do with your current Cali? If you were to keep chickens in it, then no problem but again it's my guess that you would sell it. In which case your eco conscience might feel better but it would still be polluting by just the same amount but with someone else at the helm. If you were to scrap it you would also be creating a great deal of pollution through that process so IMO the answer is to keep your Cali as it is, enjoy it and try not to worry.
absolutely this post - its spot on. It amazing that the full picture is never considered with regard to the environment; Be super eco friendly - buy (recycle?) a series 1 Land Rover (50+% of all landy's ever produced are still on the roads), Run it on used chip fat and buy an army surplus tent - eco credentials 10 out of 10!

absolutely this post - its spot on. It amazing that the full picture is never considered with regard to the environment; Be super eco friendly - buy (recycle?) a series 1 Land Rover (50+% of all landy's ever produced are still on the roads), Run it on used chip fat and buy an army surplus tent - eco credentials 10 out of 10!
It’s a great point, I mean we run all out work vans on HVO100 so Calis could also swap to that

Back