Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California delivered ... in the wrong colour

De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum,... But color is character, and so yes, is it you? I imagine in these carparks it brings a wow factor, the star of the show.
But would you feel like a loud tourist when you walk towards it in an old little scenic town or more proud? Would you feel it taking too much attraction when camping in the middle of a natural setting, or more like a complement, man versus nature?
Surely you have some favorite spicy, colorful shirts that you like to wear for festive events. Do you have lots of them?

In general,
do you blend, or do you shine, that must be the question.

Last edited:
We placed our order at Christmas. Like you it was a choice of ascot grey or the red.
The vehicle the dealer had for us to view was the cherry red.
Now I'm not a big fan of the red, my husband is, but wow did I like it.
We ended up ordering the grey with thoughts of adding bits of red.
However, as the red was my 2nd choice, if the dealer called today and said it had arrived but in red I'd be fine with it. It was after all a decision between the 2 colours, so it's not like I don't like the red colour.
There are lots of grey ones here and I haven't seen 1 red one drive around yet so if I saw a red 1 I'd be quite excited.
California Chris on YouTube has done a coast video using the red one we saw and I love it each time.

As it was a colour you chose at the beginning, then you obviously like it. So if it was me I'd be fine with taking it but want a few free services thrown in too.
But they are alot of money and if your not happy then don't have it and wait for what you do want. You have your t4 if you want to travel.
At the end of the day, only you can decide what's right for you.

We placed our order at Christmas. Like you it was a choice of ascot grey or the red.
The vehicle the dealer had for us to view was the cherry red.
Now I'm not a big fan of the red, my husband is, but wow did I like it.
We ended up ordering the grey with thoughts of adding bits of red.
However, as the red was my 2nd choice, if the dealer called today and said it had arrived but in red I'd be fine with it. It was after all a decision between the 2 colours, so it's not like I don't like the red colour.
There are lots of grey ones here and I haven't seen 1 red one drive around yet so if I saw a red 1 I'd be quite excited.
California Chris on YouTube has done a coast video using the red one we saw and I love it each time.

As it was a colour you chose at the beginning, then you obviously like it. So if it was me I'd be fine with taking it but want a few free services thrown in too.
But they are alot of money and if your not happy then don't have it and wait for what you do want. You have your t4 if you want to travel.
At the end of the day, only you can decide what's right for you.
Thanks for your comment. Indeed: we obviously did not start with a colour that we did not like at all and now that we see the red, a certain doubt returns but reason tells us that 8 months ago we thought carefully to change the colour to ascot grey.
It is a somewhat strange sensation: seeing the car as you configured it and in the initial colour...
Seeing him in the flesh brings a doubt and I have more difficulty with it than I thought. The cherry red will be much more exclusive than the grey, that's for sure.
I like that guy California Chis; saw all his youtube videos.
They are a lot of money, that's true, we're probably going to be broke for a while ;)
I'd love to see you grey with the red accents. We were going to have the steel rims matt black.

Depends if you want to stealth camp, if you do then red is probably not the one! We always stay on campsites so no difference for us.
Mind you ours is silver and I quite like the understated elegance!

Depends if you want to stealth camp, if you do then red is probably not the one! We always stay on campsites so no difference for us.
Don't think it excludes stealth camping; friends of mine have a techno blue T4cali and sleep everywhere - even on Trocadero under the Eifel tower!

So sorry to hear this, always puts a dampener on what should be an amazing acquisition.
I think colour choice of vehicles reflects your personality.
I too changed my colour choice 4 weeks in from Mojave Beige to Ascot Grey & White, so have asked myself what would I have done if the wrong colour had turned up - the answer is I would have rejected it.
Its such an expensive outlay you have to be as near as damn 100% happy with your choices - yes theres always going to be things with hindsight you would or wouldnt choose again.
Yes the red with all the black parts looks fab - noticeable - talking point - head turning - out there - BUT is that what you want - I know I would hate that - I want to blend in with the crowd somewhat, yes easier said than done in a fab California but I want subtle yet classy - another reason I chose a disguised older number plate not obviously personal to anybody but me.
I too will be using mine as my daily driver so again I just dont want to be driving an out there vehicle.
I love seeing everybody's blinged up Calis but personally their not for me.
The way I see it the 2 choices are oceans apart!
The Red is the statement look at me.
The Ascot Grey is the statement blend in class.
I would listen to my heart not my head, be patient & hold out for what that is telling you.

I'm obviously biased (see pic) but I would go with the red. I also toyed between ascot grey (more chic) and red (more cheerful) and am so pleased that I went for the brighter colour in the end. I am sure I would have loved a grey too, but the bright-red-ness and they way he stands out in a crowd just makes me smile. I also wouldn't be able to resist whichever option means you have your Cali soonest. Good luck!

I've driven boring grey company cars for 27 years, and it's all you see on the road these days... So why not stand out and show off some fun? We went for bright colours with our beloved cali's

View attachment 75731

View attachment 75732
Very nice pictures and ascot grey is not so striking, true but for me not boring: it is rather bright, and it has a curious sparkle despite being a standard paint.
I saw your exclusive and it is a great colour :thumb, my passenger car (an opel grandland) is in such a blue.

Thanks for your reaction; undertated elegance is well said of you and ascot grey can also fit that description.

Red with the black pack - looks awesome! Go for it! And like others have suggested why not say to them that if they throw in some black side bars and a bike rack you'll take it.

De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum,... But color is character, and so yes, is it you? I imagine in these carparks it brings a wow factor, the star of the show.
But would you feel like a loud tourist when you walk towards it in an old little scenic town or more proud? Would you feel it taking too much attraction when camping in the middle of a natural setting, or more like a complement, man versus nature?
Surely you have some favorite spicy, colorful shirts that you like to wear for festive events. Do you have lots of them?

In general,
do you blend, or do you shine, that must be the question.
:D Thanks for the reaction, in fact, I do have quite a few multicolored shirts and wear them regularly in my spare time (for work, I walk in uniform). I think I'm more of a blending person, but others don't think so. Anyway, I think ascot grey is a more neutral colour -certainly more than cherry red- but also sparkling. I already saw some californias in that colour but it stays difficult for me.
I will soon make my choice although I already made it 8 months ago. It was not expected that there is now a cherry red coast.

:D Thanks for the reaction, in fact, I do have quite a few multicolored shirts and wear them regularly in my spare time (for work, I walk in uniform). I think I'm more of a blending person, but others don't think so. Anyway, I think ascot grey is a more neutral colour -certainly more than cherry red- but also sparkling. I already saw some californias in that colour but it stays difficult for me.
I will soon make my choice although I already made it 8 months ago. It was not expected that there is now a cherry red coast.
Just my 2p, I’ll admit I’m biased as iv got an Ascot grey on order. Hopefully....
You ordered Ascot grey so wait for an Ascot grey van, while waiting use the loan California for at least 4 weeks, and ask for a service package/extended warranty etc etc for good will when it arrives.
, I like looking at all the different vans, every standard colour is very nice, you can’t go wrong, but unless you llove the sporty red van, stick with your choice, not the dealers.

I switched to red from Ascot Grey at the last minute and I will now add black wheels and a black pack to my Coast 6.1 as it looks better dechromed

The Ascot grey looks fabulous dirty but looked a teeny bit low budget rental van, I also think the grey is a bit trendy at the moment and will age badly. Plus red safer (flat grey almost invisible in fog) and our six year old loves red. And fire engines.

55600967-ADD3-4096-84FD-B2821929B7B4.jpeg

I switched to red from Ascot Grey at the last minute and I will now add black wheels and a black pack to my Coast 6.1 as it looks better dechromed

The Ascot grey looks fabulous dirty but looked a teeny bit low budget rental van, I also think the grey is a bit trendy at the moment and will age badly. Plus red safer (flat grey almost invisible in fog) and our six year old loves red. And fire engines.

View attachment 75739
What a beautiful california! Makes choosing a bit more difficult ...
Our 6 year old also likes cherry red very much and our 3 year old loves fire engines.

maybe get them to wrap it in ascot grey , or even better a matt stealth version? then you have the colour you want and can sell it under two colours when the time comes :)

KEEP IT! KEEP IT! KEEP IT!

I had a wobble after ordering my California with the Cherry Red colour and considered changing to Ascot Grey and so glad I did not.

My Cheery Red Ocean came about 8 weeks ago and I still can't stop staring at it - it looks beautiful! IN fact, my wife and kids are getting quite irritated with me.

I think it goes back to the whole image of a VW camper - part retro, part cool, part crazy (who else would drop 60K for a van that you sleep in), part rebellious, part bold.

Maybe it is more sensible to choose the Ascot Grey colour, but sometimes you just got to let your heart rule over your head....

I remember being in Edinburgh seeing a T6 Beach Edition (European registered) in red with all the matt black stuff, it looked really very good indeed in the flesh.

If we have learned anything in the last 12 months. Life is precious and short. Live the dream before life becomes one.
Ask yourself, when you are sat in the Cali, looking at the view, does it really matter what colour it is on the outside!!

If we have learned anything in the last 12 months. Life is precious and short. Live the dream before life becomes one.
Ask yourself, when you are sat in the Cali, looking at the view, does it really matter what colour it is on the outside!!
Additionally: who cares what others think when they see a red van. But when you look at it from outside , there's no question it looks nice. With black contrasts you can do whatever you want.
Yes it will stand out park among other cars, 90% of which are black, white and all gradations of grey. People will notice it..... and then continue go about their own business. It will make no difference.

Additionally: who cares what others think when they see a red van. But when you look at it from outside , there's no question it looks nice. With black contrasts you can do whatever you want.
Yes it will stand out park among other cars, 90% of which are black, white and all gradations of grey. People will notice it..... and then continue go about their own business. It will make no difference.
...and I know most of them would be looking at it with happy thoughts! A red VW bus just does that somehow.15565283501.jpgred-vw-t2-camper-van-rear-view-richard-nixon.jpg4764603916_882ecff62a_z.jpgrWMo-bmas45aWkLTfcDSpwHaFj.jpgbeachredsold.pnga37882dd6b_dsc_2407-12367dab-large.jpg

..it’s a classic!