Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California delivered ... in the wrong colour

Oh no! I love that you are not fuming mad which is to your credit.

If i were you i'd take the red. It's a really nice colour. We have a white coast and i think in retrospect i would have preferred ascot grey as well but it really doesn't deter from enjoyment of the vehicle.

Also with the black pack it looks proper Gangsta! DO IT!
Thank you for the nice words and yes, it does look gangsta.
I'm not really happy like I should be when recieving a new california but what can I do, someone made a mistake and I am disappointed but also faced with new choices ;)

I’m not a fan of the red or Ascot grey... sorry to others... my advice would be, if you are really unhappy with the colour (as long as you have the change of order in writing) would be to reject the vehicle and keep it whilst awaiting the new one in correct colour.
thank you, that is a thought.

I’m not a fan of the red or Ascot grey... sorry to others... my advice would be, if you are really unhappy with the colour (as long as you have the change of order in writing) would be to reject the vehicle and keep it whilst awaiting the new one in correct colour.

That’s a great idea.
Reject and request to keep the red one until your correct order is delivered...

It’s your vehicle and you have to love it. Colour is probably the most important individual option

Red looks great on a camper. Ascot grey is understated and timeless though - the best current colour for me. What is in the Black Pack exactly (not available in the U.K. I don’t think, sounds a bit like our Sports Pack)?
Thank you for you reaction. I did not know this pack and did not see it during the configuration in August last year, but apparently it exists (I already met someone who knew it, he has a black coast that is now 1 month old, so ordered it around our time of ordering). It consists of the full grille in glossy black, also the lower part with the fog lights in it. The VW sign on the back is also completely shiny black. It is relatively expensive, almost 2,000 euros, but it looks cool.

Thank you for you reaction. I did not know this pack and did not see it during the configuration in August last year, but apparently it exists (I already met someone who knew it, he has a black coast that is now 1 month old, so ordered it around our time of ordering). It consists of the full grille in glossy black, also the lower part with the fog lights in it. The VW sign on the back is also completely shiny black. It is relatively expensive, almost 2,000 euros, but it looks cool.
Expensive for a grille and badges? Good for free though!
Doesn’t include the black Springfield wheels?

Hellow everyone reading this. Here it comes: we ordered a coast at the end of August 2020 with estimated delivery in May 2021. Delivery was a little earlier, namely last Monday, March 22nd. Nice, I thought when I got the news. However, when checking the invoice that I received via email, I noticed the colour ... cherry red.
Very nice colour and our initial choice but we had changed it (along with some extra options) to ascot grey. When I asked for a new order form to sign with the change, this was not necessary, according to the seller. Everything was passed on according to him. The options are present but the color was 'forgotten'. Hence an order form and an invoice with a red coast on it but with the options included afterwards.
What now, do you think. Yesterday we went to have a look: the cherry red is beautiful, quite exclusive but very 'in your face'; we had expected this, hence our change of colour. Our options, offered by the dealer:
-accept the red one and receive a 'black pack' as compensation (see picture belowe of his own company car, an ocean);
-fully adapt a coast ordered by them but not yet made to our liking (also the colour);
-cancel and return the deposit.
The last option is a no go because then we have no california coast unless we order later a new one but what's the point in that (now about one year waiting time and it will be more expensive).
Option two: having a stock vehicle adjusted before it even being made sounds attractive, but will that run smoothly? They couldn't pass on the changed colour ... For this option I also don't have much time to pass it on: the modified 'stock car' would be delivered at the end of June but I have to be quick. If it work, we have our ascot grey.
Then accept the red one? The last 8 years when we traveled with our T4 westfalia, we always said that if we could buy a new one, a red one was definitely possible because when we saw a red california, we liked it very much. As a campervan I still think this but maybe not as an everyday vehicle (it will be my daily car too). Each to his own choise.
They try to fix the error and that's okay but still i'm slightly disappointed. I know it's a luxury issue but still. I just wanted to get it off my chest and I and read your thoughts about it.

Good evening
Greetings
Calibusje
Belgium

View attachment 75698
Colour is very much a personal choice, we don’t rate the grey, love white and red. We would take the red with the black pack & try for some free services or other options. Good luck with whatever you decide.

The red looks fab.

Grey is very on-trend at the moment but in a couple of years or so will look dated.

Well, you did ask.
Absolutely, years ago every other car on the road was a boring metallic grey.

I always experience colour choice very differently once I‘ve had my first holiday trip in a car or van. Right now it’s still about shiny new cars and choices, then it will be about your van and your happy memories. Any colour that was on your shortlist will be just perfect, once you’ve made these memories with it.

If you want to make me jealous, go for the red one. With that black pack it looks amazing, yet not too bling.

Expensive for a grille and badges? Good for free though!
Doesn’t include the black Springfield wheels?
No, the wheels are his choise, it's his company car.
We have steel ones and would want them matte black finished.

I've not been a huge fan of the cherry red but the photo above with the black pack looks gorgeous. I

I'd get them to do the B-pillars and wing mirrors in black and if your rack was silver, I'd also get them to change it to the black option too.

View attachment 75712
... and maybe those black sidebars as suggested by @soulstyledevon . Very nice!
1616704700110.png
the black bar makes it "less" bulky in my opinion.

Colour is very much a personal choice, we don’t rate the grey, love white and red. We would take the red with the black pack & try for some free services or other options. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thank you very much for your reaction.

I always experience colour choice very differently once I‘ve had my first holiday trip in a car or van. Right now it’s still about shiny new cars and choices, then it will be about your van and your happy memories. Any colour that was on your shortlist will be just perfect, once you’ve made these memories with it.

If you want to make me jealous, go for the red one. With that black pack it looks amazing, yet not too bling.
Thank you for your reaction; that's right, we now have a white, old T4 and have had wonderful experiences and fond memories of the many journeys and trips we made with it. The colour for the new one is now just a choice that we will see later in the pictures :happy
It could be just not too bling, that is true.

Seriously though, and configurator photos aside, you have to love it. If you will forever think 'It's not the Ascot Grey', then it's not for you.

Sounds like you hang on to your vans, so it may be with you a long time. Good luck with your decision and don't forget the photos once you've collected your choice ;)
Thanks for thinking along; indeed: a cherry red is not wrong, not at all. I am faced with choices and it is not simple. I will definitely post pictures, whether of a beautiful red or in a few months of an ascot grey.

I have a metallic beige T5 Cali and my next door neighbor has a red T6 Transporter. I think it’s a great colour. A deeper red than my Tornado red Golf GTi.
I’m not a fan of metallic greys.

Hello, thanks for your reaction. Yes, the delivery for an other one, specified as we ordered and in ascot grey, would be end of June, they say. I don't really mind waiting, after 8 months, what are 3 more months? ;)
I think they are doing their best to make up for the mistake (according to them it happened at importer D'Ieteren in Brussels).
The 'black pack' is almost 2.000 euro worth...
I like it more a little toned down for me and I find the ascot grey really chic. I've seen some and I really like it. The cherry red is rather sporty and not really me, I guess.
Greetings
To me, colour is all important to how l feel about my vehicles, it has to be right to feel the love!
I quote you, " I find ascot grey really chic " "cherry red is rather sporty and not really me."
Be honest with yourself, what colour do you really want, or is it not really that important at the end of the day.

When I asked for a new order form to sign with the change, this was not necessary, according to the seller. Everything was passed on according to him.
I've experienced the same when i wanted to upgrade the sound system
on a vehicle.

Make sure that you are 100% sure about the Red though, cos once
you are driving it around you are gonna notice all of those Ascot grey
ones out there, and it will seem like there's hundreds of them.

I agree with @Kingfisher. When you are in the fase of choosing a colour and options, etc. everything seems and is important. But as soon as you have the van and have fun with it, live in it, make memories in it, the colour will be what it is; not all that important.

Ours is 'sand beige' and a daily driver. I love it. But our T4 Westfalia was red and we loved that too.

I'd go with whatever option gives you a california a.s.a.p. and I'd take whatever extras you can squeeze out of the dealer.

To me, colour is all important to how l feel about my vehicles, it has to be right to feel the love!
I quote you, " I find ascot grey really chic " "cherry red is rather sporty and not really me."
Be honest with yourself, what colour do you really want, or is it not really that important at the end of the day.
Thanks for your reaction. Feeling the love is what I want but it isn't there -yet?- for the cherry red. I saw it yesterday and I 'like it' but have to choose quick.
It is certainly important for me otherwise I would not post my reflection: we initially selected cherry red and changed to ascot grey after careful thoughtsand considering many things (including 'how am I?' Rather sporty where the red colour fits well or do I want something less conspicuous?) Anyway: there is now a cherry red coast at the dealer, completely as we ordered but not in the right colour and this is something I did not expect. Now I see him standing there and can I make the choice for ascot grey again?
I have to get to the point where I am indeed honest with myself and make the right choice ... and quickly ;)

Last edited:
We’ve had our beloved Cherry Red Ocean for four years now. Very happy with the colour.

There’s no doubt that it much more of a statement type colour than grey. It definitely stands out wherever it is. A grey van could blend in more easily in many settings. So it really depends what you want in that respect.

I really like the black pack though and have been considering getting black wheels, black grille and possibly black side stripes. That would further increase the “statement” factor and would make it a real head-turner I think.

2d2e520051b097ef990e8724c7ce31e1.jpg

I've experienced the same when i wanted to upgrade the sound system
on a vehicle.

Make sure that you are 100% sure about the Red though, cos once
you are driving it around you are gonna notice all of those Ascot grey
ones out there, and it will seem like there's hundreds of them.
True! Thank you for the comment and yes, maybe there will be hundreds of them, it's a very popular colour :D

I agree with @Kingfisher. When you are in the fase of choosing a colour and options, etc. everything seems and is important. But as soon as you have the van and have fun with it, live in it, make memories in it, the colour will be what it is; not all that important.

Ours is 'sand beige' and a daily driver. I love it. But our T4 Westfalia was red and we loved that too.

I'd go with whatever option gives you a california a.s.a.p. and I'd take whatever extras you can squeeze out of the dealer.
Thank you, indeed: the colour is something we will see on all the pictures we take but now I have to make a choise... again and it is not that simple, I notice, now that I saw the red one. For me, since it will be my daily driver also, the colour is rather important and maybe I prefer a colour a bit more discrete like ascot grey (or sand beige ;)). For now, we have our T4 westfalia so I could wait al little bit more. A little bit :)

You asked for our thoughts, so here are a few more to help confuse you.

1: If you wait for the Ascot Grey, are you you actually missing any opportunities when you would want, or will be able to use it, or would the Red one be parked up for the majority of that time.
2: Get a few sweeteners added to the Ascot Grey.
3: Love metallic red, but would not have flat red, still worried about the possibility of fading.
4: Black Wheels, dull to me, give me free option Woodstock everytime.
5: Red, marmite colour, will affect resale.

A couple of other thoughts.
Ascot Grey won't show the dirt as much as red, neither will minor scratches like bush marks.

You asked for our thoughts, so here are a few more to help confuse you.

1: If you wait for the Ascot Grey, are you you actually missing any opportunities when you would want, or will be able to use it, or would the Red one be parked up for the majority of that time.
2: Get a few sweeteners added to the Ascot Grey.
3: Love metallic red, but would not have flat red, still worried about the possibility of fading.
4: Black Wheels, dull to me, give me free option Woodstock everytime.
5: Red, marmite colour, will affect resale.
thank you for your thoughts. For point 1: I would drive the new california every day because it would replace my current passenger car but if I would have to wait, there is a car and if we want to make a trip, there is the t4 westfalia.
The sweeteners on the ascot gray: the dealer does -not- agree with that: I should be happy that I will keep the price from August 2020, the dealer said because they have again become a lot more expensive.
I don't have much to say about the color fading; apparently this is less now than it used to be.
Point 4: nice choice!
And point 5: can't predict; currently each colour sells second-hand fast.
But the choice is difficult, that's for sure.