Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Vehicle Classification & VW UK

It was my interpretation that DVLA have supplied a registration software system and VWUK supplied dealers with the wrong registration code for the vehicle type.
No surly not, they are experts in their field...

Just a quick update as to my complaint to customer services I received a phone call this morning from customer services confirming that I have to book the vehicle in at my local garage for a report and photographs to be taken which would then be sent to them. I then asked the reason why I had to go down this route the young lady informed me that VWUK have decided to take this action, I then asked her what form of action this would be she explained once the information has been received from the garage they would then be making contact with DVLA to get the classification changed when I mentioned about other people not being asked to take this route she said unfortunately she cannot speak about other cases but this will be the way forward.

I've made a complaint and I've not had to jump through the hoops that you are being asked to (at least not yet). What a nonsense, why on earth do they need photos of vehicles they produce. Proballey hope you'll get sick of jumping through their hoops and disappear.

Just a quick update as to my complaint to customer services I received a phone call this morning from customer services confirming that I have to book the vehicle in at my local garage for a report and photographs to be taken which would then be sent to them. I then asked the reason why I had to go down this route the young lady informed me that VWUK have decided to take this action, I then asked her what form of action this would be she explained once the information has been received from the garage they would then be making contact with DVLA to get the classification changed when I mentioned about other people not being asked to take this route she said unfortunately she cannot speak about other cases but this will be the way forward.
Seems odd, I've seen on other Forums that same process was requested by the DVLA of VW Van to Campervan conversions and at the end of meeting all the required info/photos the DVLA still refused to change the classification.

Looking like a long saga of negative progress.

As @BJG has noted above, this sounds like they have just fallen into DVLA 'prove its a campervan' loop, which previously would have passed for vehicles with sinks, gas, beds etc but is now failing.
I'm sorry for the agro but suspect you are being led on a wild goose chase. Hopefully the dealer is close to you so you are not inconvenienced too much.

My contact with VW UK
Dear Mr ?????
Thank you for speaking with me regarding case reference: VN15????????

Should you wish to speak to me before our next scheduled contact, please call me on 0114 450 3402 during my working hours: Mon-Fri 8:30 - 4:30

Kind regards

Rumina Islam

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles UK

Please if anyone has the same issue please get off your ass.

from my iPhone
[/QUOTE]

Hi breeze 1 I hope you don't mind but I think I'm going to use the number you have given as I feel I am being fobbed off especially if no one else has been giving this to do :mad:

My contact with VW UK
Dear Mr ?????
Thank you for speaking with me regarding case reference: VN15????????

Should you wish to speak to me before our next scheduled contact, please call me on 0114 450 3402 during my working hours: Mon-Fri 8:30 - 4:30

Kind regards

Rumina Islam

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles UK

Please if anyone has the same issue please get off your ass.

from my iPhone

Hi breeze 1 I hope you don't mind but I think I'm going to use the number you have given as I feel I am being fobbed off especially if no one else has been giving this to do :mad:
[/QUOTE]
Please do the more the merrier, you may not get the same person but the number will get you to the correct place. ..

Well done and good luck it all adds weight to our issue.

Will

Just a quick update as to my complaint to customer services ... when I mentioned about other people not being asked to take this route she said unfortunately she cannot speak about other cases but this will be the way forward.

Have VWCS confirmed that the initial registration of your vehicle, conducted at the point of sale by the Dealer as part of the OTR package, is incorrect? This confirmation does not require a vehicle inspection. VWCS knows what the correct body type code should be on first registration and what the text description of that code is.

From reports, it seems almost all Californias are now being coded as body type code 96 (MPV), rather than code 27 (Motorhome/caravan) as previously. VWCS and Dealers have verbally suggested to Customers, though not consistently, that the reason for this is merely a simple data error in the DVLA and Motor Industry initial registration process (RaV/MVRIS). If that is accurate, then VWCS should be more than happy to confirm what the correct information should have been.

VWCS have verbally told Customers they are discussing corrective action with DVLA. As the attached recent Facebook posting from SK Campers Ltd. confirms, it is possible for camper conversions of VW vans to be classified as body code 27 on initial registration. It is only for re-classification of already registered vehicle conversions where DVLA are seemingly frustrating extant legal requirements using the device of external similarity to a motorhome (here). You probably need to be very clear whether VWCS is intending to follow this route for you, give there is voluminous evidence this has not been a path to success.

VWCS has verbally told Customers with similar enquiries this is their error with the data they supply for the initial registration process. As such, this is an issue of incorrect initial registration rather than body type reclassification.

SK Campers IVA Inspection .png

Having read through this thread and not able to add much other than our V5 came back last week whilst on holiday - MPV, not done anything about it as yet and not sure if I should!

My original complaint to VW customer services is now being handled by the team responsible for handling the MPV saga which I am more then thankful for. At least I don't have to take it to my local dealer to have a report written to state that it's a California ocean :rolleyes: but I would say one thing the more people on here who go down this route the more chance of success we will have I have been restricted to where I can insure this vehicle which is not what I want.

Having read through this thread and not able to add much other than our V5 came back last week whilst on holiday - MPV, not done anything about it as yet and not sure if I should!
Depends how long you plan on keeping the vehicle. If selling at some point in the future it could affect the expected price.

Someone has recently made a FOI request to DVLA who have confirmed they will not be changing use of any conversions to Motor caravan unless they are A) Unregistered (i.e. factory vehicles) or B) Coach built.

This should mean the Ocean should continue to be a motor caravan.

Someone has recently made a FOI request to DVLA who have confirmed they will not be changing use of any conversions to Motor caravan unless they are A) Unregistered (i.e. factory vehicles) or B) Coach built.

This should mean the Ocean should continue to be a motor caravan.
Post 140 above. :thumb

My original complaint to VW customer services is now being handled by the team responsible for handling the MPV saga which I am more then thankful for. At least I don't have to take it to my local dealer to have a report written to state that it's a California ocean :rolleyes: but I would say one thing the more people on here who go down this route the more chance of success we will have I have been restricted to where I can insure this vehicle which is not what I want.

I have been in touch with VW through the contact number given, they have logged my call and given me a case number, not sure from speaking to the gent if this will go anywhere!

I have rang the dvla who to be fair do not give you much to go on! what they did say is to send the V5 back with mpv circled and the correct classification written with a covering letter to explain the issue!
Has anyone tried this?

I have also spoken to the DVLA about this issue and this was before I raised my issue with VW customer services and their advice was to go back to the dealer so there are mixed messages there already this is why I think VW should be helping to sort this out as we are just pawns in this game. The way I would look at it is if I was buying a VW California Ocean secondhand I would think twice about purchasing the vehicle if it had MPV written on the V5 no matter what supporting documents the seller had I honestly don't think I will purchase that vehicle.

I will have a look at the V5 later and decide if to send back! I will update on here later.

Just had an update from VWCC re this thread, and there is no update, but they are still in discussions withe the DVLA, however she did say that they had made a press release, well that's what I think she said, I asked if she would email it to me, she replied helpfully yes will take 24/48 hours.

I will advise as received.

I have rang the dvla who to be fair do not give you much to go on! what they did say is to send the V5 back with mpv circled and the correct classification written with a covering letter to explain the issue!
Has anyone tried this?

I've written twice now to DVLA to request that they change my MY19 Ocean from MPV to Motorcaravan, stating MY19 Beach's are being classed Motorcaravans when in my opinion they are MPV's. I have sent my V5c baca few weeks ago, no reply as yet. My V5c also says my 2019 Ocean is a 147 (no such thing) when it is a 199, so I've asked them to correct this as well. Can't understand why apparently some owners MY19 Beach's are being classed as Motorcaravan's when MY19 Oceans are being class as MPV's, got to be a mistake but who will put their hands up?

Back