Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Vehicle Classification & VW UK

That sounds like my advisor!

Before I send in my V5, does anyone want to post a 'common' well worded covering letter for everyone or should I go it alone...?
MartG, unless you are in a hurry, it might be worth waiting until someone manages to obtain an official VW letter?

Tom

I have written an email to VWCV requesting a covering letter, which gives weight to the correct body type classification, to be sent to either myself, everyone on their case list or/and the DVLA. If it is sent to me, I shall post it here for everyone's use.

Will do, but I don't relish speaking to Fatima again... someone else have a go...
As said I spoke to Laura Durow who was well aware of the situation and was very helpful. Said they were working on a solution with DVLA. Now that could have been a deflection ploy but she seemed genuine.

They intimated they would be looking at our Forum. May have been lip service.

They intimated they would be looking at our Forum. May have been lip service.
It doesn't really matter if they read the forum or not, as long as they acknowledge and correct their mistake on past registrations and hopefully sort it for the future. Ocean MPV and Beach Motorcaravan simply makes no sense at all.

Tom

It doesn't really matter if they read the forum or not, as long as they acknowledge and correct their mistake on past registrations and hopefully sort it for the future. Ocean MPV and Beach Motorcaravan simply makes no sense at all.

Tom
I agree, that's why I started this thread.I am awaiting an email advising of what I'm not sure.

I agree, that's why I started this thread.I am awaiting an email advising of what I'm not sure.

Same here I was contacted by VW customer services this morning with an update stating that an email will be sent out shortly which will then clarify the situation so we will wait and see.

We are awaiting delivery of our new T6 Ocean and I have just received this from our dealer, which is the answer they got from VW;

"Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles regarding your Volkswagen California. I understand that you have queried why your vehicle’s V5C describes it as a Multi-Purpose Vehicle (MPV) and not as a motorhome. As you may be aware, the vehicle body type shown on the V5C is determined by the DVLA and not by Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles has always marketed the California as a campervan and not as a motorhome or caravan. Therefore, whilst we appreciate that you may be disappointed with the DVLA’s recent decision to re-designate the California as an MPV, we do not feel that our marketing has been misleading. We are nonetheless sympathetic to the practical challenges that the DVLA’s decision is creating for customers and we confirm that both Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles and the Society of Motor Manufacturers have raised this issue with the DVLA in the hope that they will change their new policy. Unfortunately at this time we are unable to predict if this will be agreed by the DVLA."

I have also spoken to Comfort Insurance and they have confirmed they will insure the van whether classified as an MPV or a motorhome.

We are awaiting delivery of our new T6 Ocean and I have just received this from our dealer, which is the answer they got from VW;

"Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles regarding your Volkswagen California. I understand that you have queried why your vehicle’s V5C describes it as a Multi-Purpose Vehicle (MPV) and not as a motorhome. As you may be aware, the vehicle body type shown on the V5C is determined by the DVLA and not by Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles has always marketed the California as a campervan and not as a motorhome or caravan. Therefore, whilst we appreciate that you may be disappointed with the DVLA’s recent decision to re-designate the California as an MPV, we do not feel that our marketing has been misleading. We are nonetheless sympathetic to the practical challenges that the DVLA’s decision is creating for customers and we confirm that both Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles and the Society of Motor Manufacturers have raised this issue with the DVLA in the hope that they will change their new policy. Unfortunately at this time we are unable to predict if this will be agreed by the DVLA."

I have also spoken to Comfort Insurance and they have confirmed they will insure the van whether classified as an MPV or a motorhome.
Thanks Subthree but if the California Beach is indeed described as a motor home or motorcaravan by DVLA as reported earlier in the thread then this makes no sense to me. Is it possible you could raise this anomaly?
Tom

Thanks Subthree but if the California Beach is indeed described as a motor home or motorcaravan by DVLA as reported earlier in the thread then this makes no sense to me. Is it possible you could raise this anomaly?
Tom
I'm awaiting my email which I'm sure will be the same as Subthree then I will raise this with them re the California Beach being described as a motor home or motorcaravan by DVLA. I belive any one with a Ocean with a MPV classification should be doing the same.

Will

I think so - the lady wasn't very forthcoming with helpful advise, stating not a VW issue. I asked what I should do, put on hold, then came back and said she'd open a case for me to be kept informed IF there was any news on the matter... I bet they have plenty of cases or they have added my name to a list. I'm trying to speak to DVLA this morning, but not easy to get in touch...
Hi MartG, if you don't mind me asking, what phone number are you using to phone DVLA, I'm struggling to find a relevant phone number/email address for them, thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Hi MartG, if you don't mind me asking, what phone number are you using to phone DVLA, I'm struggling to find a relevant phone number/email address for them, thanks in advance for any help you can provide
I used the DVLA webchat - https://live.email-dvla.service.gov.uk/w2c/en_gb/forms/Chat V5C?_ga=2.124673550.521806644.1568886304-1963386004.1562941923

The link should work once they are open at 08:00 - it took a couple of go's and a wee wait to get through...
The link also shows their phone & email info...

Last edited:

Morning,Try this I will be also calling them very soon

By phone
DVLA vehicle registration enquiries
Telephone: 0300 790 6802
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm

Morning,Try this I will be also calling them very soon

By phone
DVLA vehicle registration enquiries
Telephone: 0300 790 6802
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
Though the DVLA seem to be being blamed by VW, surely they can only go by what manufacturers/dealers submit at registration, they cannot check every vehicle therefore the submission earlier in the thread that suggested that VW were wrong seems credible. In simple terms it appears that the VW codes were transposed making a Beach a Motorcaravan and Ocean an MPV whereas it should be the other way round. I don't see how DVLA can help until VW admit their mistake?

Tom

Just spoken to the DVLA Really nice lady in team 13 who took the time to listen re body type MPV.
She said its VW who inform the DVLA of the body type not them.

"I should go back to VW and get a letter confirming correct body type then forward it to the DVLA for correction and a new V5C issued".

Can it really be that simple!!

Though the DVLA seem to be being blamed by VW, surely they can only go by what manufacturers/dealers submit at registration, they cannot check every vehicle therefore the submission earlier in the thread that suggested that VW were wrong seems credible. In simple terms it appears that the VW codes were transposed making a Beach a Motorcaravan and Ocean an MPV whereas it should be the other way round. I don't see how DVLA can help until VW admit their mistake?

Tom
Well done I will be calling VW + 09.00

The DVLA must be wrong, it cannot be VW's fault - they have such a fantastic reputation for trust.

The DVLA must be wrong, it cannot be VW's fault - they have such a fantastic reputation for trust.
I detected some arrogance at VW when I called so it may be an uphill battle, VW cannot be wrong. It may also mean that Beach is re classified as MPV? Light the blue touch paper and stand well clear.........

Tom

I detected some arrogance at VW when I called so it may be an uphill battle, VW cannot be wrong. It may also mean that Beach is re classified as MPV? Light the blue touch paper and stand well clear.........

Tom
That would be the more accurate Descriptor according to DVLAs Motor Caravan requirements and Beach owners assertion that the Beach is so versatile a vehicle.

Just spoken to the DVLA Really nice lady in team 13 who took the time to listen re body type MPV.
She said its VW who inform the DVLA of the body type not them.

"I should go back to VW and get a letter confirming correct body type then forward it to the DVLA for correction and a new V5C issued".

Can it really be that simple!!
This is what I wrote to VWCV yesterday...

Dear VWCV,

I took delivery of my California Ocean this past May and received the V5 registration documents from the DVLA. The section D.5 Body Type is listed as MPV.
I’m sure you’re as aware as I am (having read the VWCaliforniaClubs forums), that there are many new owners this year whose V5 states MPV, whereas, in the past, the vehicle was classed as a MOTOR CARAVAN, which has implications for insurance and use of vehicle.
My understanding is that there has been an error in the registering of these vehicles and that the DVLA will change the body type classification IF individuals send in their V5 documents for change with a covering letter giving reason.
The forums opinion is that a letter from VW stating the Ocean models body classification being a MOTOR CARAVAN will give sufficient credit to allow the changes without ambiguity. To that end, would VWCV consider issuing a letter, stating the correct body type classification, to perhaps myself or a member of the forum to circulate, or a letter to each affected owner, or direct to the DVLA to bring weight to the changes required?

Regards

I got a standard email reply stating a response within 2 working days....

VW just rang with their 2 week curtacy call. She said at this stage they will not provide a letter for me to send to DVLA as their investigation in to the issue is still taking place by "Higher Managers" . I asked if they had given the dealers the wrong codes for registering Oceans and Beach's hence the problem, she repeated that she could not comment while the investigation is taking place but will ring me again in 2 weeks.

VW just rang with their 2 week curtacy call. She said at this stage they will not provide a letter for me to send to DVLA as their investigation in to the issue is still taking place by "Higher Managers" . I asked if they had given the dealers the wrong codes for registering Oceans and Beach's hence the problem, she repeated that she could not comment while the investigation is taking place but will ring me again in 2 weeks.
Homerorchid, thanks for that. At least they acknowledge there is an issue; how it can take so long to resolve it is beyond me!

Tom

Back