Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Vehicle Classification & VW UK

................................ My V5c also says my 2019 Ocean is a 147 (no such thing) when it is a 199, so I've asked them to correct this as well. Can't understand why apparently some owners MY19 Beach's are being classed as Motorcaravan's when MY19 Oceans are being class as MPV's, got to be a mistake but who will put their hands up?
I think you will find it is 147 KW

Tom

Thanks for that Tom, my mistake 199 PS = 148.5 Kw woops

I have rang the dvla who to be fair do not give you much to go on! what they did say is to send the V5 back with mpv circled and the correct classification written with a covering letter to explain the issue!
Has anyone tried this?

It has been reported on here that a MB Marco Polo owner failed when he tried to reclassify from MPV to Motor caravan. Reclassification of a previous registered vehicle (as yours now is) will fall foul of the DVLA's "does not look like a motorhome" policy of frustrating reclassification of conversions (see here), as the Marco Polo owner discovered.

Consequently, I suggest that you need to be very clear with DVLA that this is solely an issue of incorrect initial classification rather than an application from you to change the V5C details (see here). VWCS is telling customers the V5C body type description of MPV is due to their error with the data provided at initial registration (here for example) and hence VWCS should be more than happy to confirm this in writing to support your letter to DVLA. This VWCS letter is clearly key. Good luck.

I've written twice now to DVLA to request that they change my MY19 Ocean from MPV to Motorcaravan, stating MY19 Beach's are being classed Motorcaravans when in my opinion they are MPV's. I have sent my V5c baca few weeks ago, no reply as yet. My V5c also says my 2019 Ocean is a 147 (no such thing) when it is a 199, so I've asked them to correct this as well. Can't understand why apparently some owners MY19 Beach's are being classed as Motorcaravan's when MY19 Oceans are being class as MPV's, got to be a mistake but who will put their hands up?
My beach on the V5 is motor caravan and that's a 2015. Most other beach owners I've met had motor caravan too, but the odd one had MPV. I am not sure it was a mistake other than the MPVs. A caravelle is an MPV but a beach is still a camper to me. I know folks will point to the rules for converting a van for cooker etc but again that's for converting a van not for factory built. Being a motor caravan was part of my reasons for buying.

I certainly wouldn't look to ask them to change it to MPV, my understanding is that it would increase your VED too?

My original complaint to VW customer services is now being handled by the team responsible for handling the MPV saga which I am more then thankful for. At least I don't have to take it to my local dealer to have a report written to state that it's a California ocean :rolleyes: but I would say one thing the more people on here who go down this route the more chance of success we will have I have been restricted to where I can insure this vehicle which is not what I want.

Glad to read they have dropped the pointless inspection suggestion. People do need to contact VWCS not least because of the owner's legal obligation to report mistakes on the V5C to DVLA (see here).

In early August an enquiry was escalated to the National Sales Manager for Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles at Head Office and, as a result, it was reported there had been an error with the data provided for initial registration (see here).

VWCS should have no problem providing owners with an explanatory letter, confirming the error and that the initial registration was incorrect (rather than this being an issue of body type reclassification). VWCS are also able to identify for concerned owners when this data error commenced and, hence, which vehicles are affected (since at least early May 2019 from reports on the Forum).

In any event, having identified an error with initial registration, provided as part of the OTR service, presumably VWCS would not want to leave any affected Customer exposed to the potential miserable consequences of invalid insurance, because of an erroneous body type description.

My beach on the V5 is motor caravan and that's a 2015. Most other beach owners I've met had motor caravan too, but the odd one had MPV. I am not sure it was a mistake other than the MPVs. A caravelle is an MPV but a beach is still a camper to me. I know folks will point to the rules for converting a van for cooker etc but again that's for converting a van not for factory built. Being a motor caravan was part of my reasons for buying.

I certainly wouldn't look to ask them to change it to MPV, my understanding is that it would increase your VED too?
It would have no effect on the VED as that is set at Registration and is dependant on the vehicle class M1 or N1 or the subset of the M and N class. N is Commercial M is Passenger. This cannot be changed easily.

Does anyone have a reference point/case number for this at Volkswagen Commercial services - or is it VW Customer services?

Tom

I spoke with VW CS who transferred me to commercial - they have opened a case number, but not very helpful...

I'm trying to online chat with DVLA but again, not very helpful...

I spoke with VW CS who transferred me to commercial - they have opened a case number, but not very helpful...

I'm trying to online chat with DVLA but again, not very helpful...
MartG I assumed there was already a case opened with VWCommercialS? It would be helpful if we could direct all our enquiries at the same source to elicit a letter from VW that we can then send to DVLA. From what I read, the fault is with VW not DVLA.

Tom

Last edited:
MartG I assumed there was already a case opened?

Tom
I think so - the lady wasn't very forthcoming with helpful advise, stating not a VW issue. I asked what I should do, put on hold, then came back and said she'd open a case for me to be kept informed IF there was any news on the matter... I bet they have plenty of cases or they have added my name to a list. I'm trying to speak to DVLA this morning, but not easy to get in touch...

I think so - the lady wasn't very forthcoming with helpful advise, stating not a VW issue. I asked what I should do, put on hold, then came back and said she'd open a case for me to be kept informed IF there was any news on the matter... I bet they have plenty of cases or they have added my name to a list. I'm trying to speak to DVLA this morning, but not easy to get in touch...
See my response from yesterday, I did speak to the dvla who were not very helpful and told me they could only discuss my issue! They told me to circle the incorrect classification and send back with a covering letter.

See my response from yesterday, I did speak to the dvla who were not very helpful and told me they could only discuss my issue! They told me to circle the incorrect classification and send back with a covering letter.
Jontymo, it is the VW covering letter that we need, do you have a contact? If so, details would be helpful? Thanks for your efforts so far.

Tom

Call Laura Durow 0800 783 4909 option 7
She is the central contact that is co-ordinating this issue, tell her that you got it from the California Forum which I have been assured is being monitored specifically this thread.
Ask for a case number which should start with VN ********

I hope this helps.

Right, just off the webchat with Lydia at DVLA... She has advised me to send in my V5 with corrections in section 1, with a covering letter stating any relevant helping info, not necessarily a manufacturers letter, but that would help...

Jontymo, it is the VW covering letter that we need, do you have a contact? If so, details would be helpful? Thanks for your efforts so far.

Tom
Hi Tom,

I got a case number, no covering letter but I am tempted to go back to try and get one.
The number given on here for VW was 0114 450 3402.

Our T6 Ocean was made last week so we should be collecting it in the next few weeks. I have asked the dealer to confirm what VW will be registering it as with DVLA but no response yet. I know this doesn't help those of you with an existing issue, just trying to find out for those still awaiting delivery. Quite frankly when I'm spending £60k I shouldn't need to worry about the V5. German efficiency?

Right, just off the webchat with Lydia at DVLA... She has advised me to send in my V5 with corrections in section 1, with a covering letter stating any relevant helping info, not necessarily a manufacturers letter, but that would help...
Same as I was told yesterday, not sure if anyone on here has attempted it?

Hi Tom,

I got a case number, no covering letter but I am tempted to go back to try and get one.
The number given on here for VW was 0114 450 3402.
The correct free number for VW Commercial CC is 0800 783 4909

Same as I was told yesterday, not sure if anyone on here has attempted it?
I'm filling out section 1 right now...

I'll draught up a letter...

edit - posted over me Tom, yes - a VW letter would be ideal, even if one of us could post here for others to copy... I did ask VW if one was available but they fobbed me off with adding me to a case file.

Last edited:
I think a headed letter from VW to DVLA might do the trick, but I'm of the opinion its should come from VW themselves and get it sorted once and for all instead of individuals having to spend valuable camping/driving time with this.

Had a discussion minutes ago with Fatima at VW Commecrial S, I could not get put through to Laura Durow. Fatima, bless her repeated it was a DVLA issue so effectively our conversation went round in circles and got nowhere.

Tom

Had a discussion minutes ago with Fatima at VW Commecrial S, I could not get put through to Laura Durow. Fatima, bless her repeated it was a DVLA issue so effectively our conversation went round in circles and got nowhere.

Tom
That sounds like my advisor!

Before I send in my V5, does anyone want to post a 'common' well worded covering letter for everyone or should I go it alone...?

If the problem is due to wrong information/codes given to VW/Dealerships then it would be interesting to know what Body Type has been given to T6 Beach/Oceans registered since 1st September 2019. Owners should have received their V5c by now.

Back