Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cambelt change.

Petegreg26

Petegreg26

VIP Member
Has any body not changed there cambelt on the 4 yrs service , Only asking as mine is due but due to the virus the van has not been used much only 2-3k . so im giving it a miss this year . Any thoughts.

Has any body not changed there cambelt on the 4 yrs service , Only asking as mine is due but due to the virus the van has not been used much only 2-3k . so im giving it a miss this year . Any thoughts.
I don't quite understand this one. In Switzerland the cam belt is only changed after 210,000Km

I was a bit shocked when the sales guy told me this, but I have now confirmed it separately. I don't suppose they use spaghetti for UK bound cam belts, so I would assume you'd be good for a while (unless you have such high mileage).

I take no responsibility if it snaps and it destroys your valves :eek:

I had my 4yr done but have postponed the 8yr due to low mileage. Have a search as there are loads of posts on the subject, particularly regarding the UK/ Europe variance in mileage/years.

In Europe, examination of the Cambelt, annually, is part of the standard service regimen. In the UK, it is not.
VWUK suggest 4 yrs or 80,000 miles.
Cambelts and similar items deteriorate over time as well as distance.

Also it is advised that the Water Pump is changed at the same time as the Cambelt has to be removed to change the pump anyway.

If I had a vehicle standing idle for 4 yrs I would want all tyres, belts and filters changed before getting it on the road.

I’d say if you have £400-£500 you really don’t want then have it done. I had mine done at 4 years and 19k miles. I asked for the parts that came off the van so I could check them. Everything was absolutely perfect. No wear whatsoever on anything including belts, pump bearings and idler bearings. I have done 5k miles since then and next one supposedly due next year. No chance I’m going to get conned again. Why is it 10 years on the mainland and 4 years here?

I don't quite understand this one. In Switzerland the cam belt is only changed after 210,000Km

I was a bit shocked when the sales guy told me this, but I have now confirmed it separately. I don't suppose they use spaghetti for UK bound cam belts, so I would assume you'd be good for a while (unless you have such high mileage).

I take no responsibility if it snaps and it destroys your valves :eek:
Thanks for your reply.

I had my 4yr done but have postponed the 8yr due to low mileage. Have a search as there are loads of posts on the subject, particularly regarding the UK/ Europe variance in mileage/years.
Same as yourself had it changed at first 4 yrs service , but due to low miles past couple of years i am giving the8 yr cambelt change a miss this year , i will pop of the cover and have a look. If these did break often i am sure we would know a bout it .

I had mine done at 5 years. I'll wait another five before doing it again.

I had mine done at 5 years. I'll wait another five before doing it again.
I asked the independent I use (ex-VW) and his advice was “if you want to be bulletproof, every five years or 80,000”. That’s my plan.

I asked the independent I use (ex-VW) and his advice was “if you want to be bulletproof, every five years or 80,000”. That’s my plan.
VW UK says 4 years. VW Europe says double that. SO who is right?

I would not be surprised that if one has any sort of warranty then that warranty will be dependent on servicing in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. In the UK that will equate with a cam belt change every 4 years or whatever miles. If one fails to adhere to UK VW specs, for a UK van, do not be surprised if any warranty claim is refused. Just my thinking.

VW UK says 4 years. VW Europe says double that. SO who is right?
You have to compare like with like. A U.K. service does not include examination of the Cambelt, whereas in Europe it does, so I am led to believe.

Does that mean that the UK Transporter is built differently to the rest of the rest of Europe. Or could it be that VW UK are seeing us as a CashCow.
No difference in build but you are not paying for an annual examination of the Cambelt.

I guess the interesting thing to know would be, how many times does the European examination result in a cam belt needing changing before the 8 years is up .. assuming that the cam belt quality is the same for both UK and Europe ..

I guess the interesting thing to know would be, how many times does the European examination result in a cam belt needing changing before the 8 years is up .. assuming that the cam belt quality is the same for both UK and Europe ..
Considering that they are all made in Germany do they have a box of good stuff for the locals and a box of cheap inferior parts for the Brits? Probably not but it makes you wonder. And as far as cambelt failure, going to the extremes they can fail in half an hour or last for 20 years. What I want to know is why is replacement intervals different for them and us? Or like I said before are we just convenient Cash Cows.

Considering that they are all made in Germany do they have a box of good stuff for the locals and a box of cheap inferior parts for the Brits? Probably not but it makes you wonder. And as far as cambelt failure, going to the extremes they can fail in half an hour or last for 20 years. What I want to know is why is replacement intervals different for them and us? Or like I said before are we just convenient Cash Cows.
If you are prepared to check the Cambelt properly every service then you could go with the European Replacement schedule. Of course, unless you can do it yourself you would have to pay the garage to do it each year..
Or, you change it every 80,000 miles or 4 yrly, whichever comes first.

Just checking Sinclairs prices for cambelt change £649. Or with waterpump £769. Sinclairs bargain prices.

Just changing mine, 4 years old. Using my local independent that I have used for 30 years. Great deal and I know they will do a good job with quality components, just over £80 cheaper than the VW special deal.

Come on guys, if you can afford a California you can afford a cam belt change.
Just checking Sinclairs prices for cambelt change £649. Or with waterpump £769. Sinclairs bargain price

Just changing mine, 4 years old. Using my local independent that I have used for 30 years. Great deal and I know they will do a good job with quality components, just over £80 cheaper than the VW special deal.

Come on guys, if you can afford a California you can afford a cam belt change.
One + factor for the Dealership doing the job is the 2 yr Warranty on Parts & Labour.

Is that worth £80 for 2 yrs.

Back