Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cambelt change.

One + factor for the Dealership doing the job is the 2 yr Warranty on Parts & Labour.

Is that worth £80 for 2 yrs.
I’m not sure it is unless the parts and labour would cover the cost of a repairing a mashed engine in the event of failure inside 2 years?

I’m not sure it is unless the parts and labour would cover the cost of a repairing a mashed engine in the event of failure inside 2 years?
And it’s 2yrs parts 1yr labour - probably only covering timing belt and water pump failure - not the rest of the damage?

Mine was done at an independent workshop in April 2021 using genuine parts supplied by me for £482.44 including VAT.

Parts -- Water Pump, Belt kit, Stud & Bolt = £294.26
Labour & Coolant flush = £188.18

That is in a 140ps early T6.

Yes I do get some discount (about 10%) on the parts from my dealer.

Mine was done at an independent workshop in April 2021 using genuine parts supplied by me for £482.44 including VAT.

Did that include the idler bearings?

It would also seem that most VW Dealerships will price match a Non VW garage, registered for VAT and within a certain distance, using genuine VW parts.

Did that include the idler bearings?
It was a complete kit including the tensioner as sold by VW for the job. Part number 03L 198 119F the water pump was part number 03L 121 011P. The stud & bolt are items advised by VW to change at the same time.

It would also seem that most VW Dealerships will price match a Non VW garage, registered for VAT and within a certain distance, using genuine VW parts.
That's good but unfortunately my nearest VW Van Centre is thirty miles and 45 minutes away but my independent is only five miles away. That makes a big difference!
No you don't need to go to a Van Centre for the parts as they are common to the car range and can be obtained from a VW Car dealership which in my case is close to the independent workshop.

The price of Genuine kits can vary dramatically. For the same thing you can pay anywhere between £160- £300 depending on where you buy them. And non genuine kits like Bosch and INA etc for £90 up.
VW get their supplies from who gives them the best prices.

That's good but unfortunately my nearest VW Van Centre is thirty miles and 45 minutes away but my independent is only five miles away. That makes a big difference!
No you don't need to go to a Van Centre for the parts as they are common to the car range and can be obtained from a VW Car dealership which in my case is close to the independent workshop.

Don’t forget, you’ll spend 3 weeks in the dealership signing the vehicle in and another couple of days trying to get the keys back…:headbang

That is for VW cars.
See here for VW commercial.

View attachment 90646

Official recommendation of VW posted by @Loz on T6 forum, 210,000km without time limit, with inspections at every service. VW Commercial Vehicles UK is a private importer who refuses to explain why they have changed the VW recommendation for UK instead of using the same criteria that is used in all other markets. Forum members who have contacted VW Commercial Vehicles UK to ask why UK owners are being given information which contradicts the factory recommendation have been told that "that information is not available to be shared." Loz has also contacted the belt manufacturer, who says the belt is designed to last 10 years.

If anybody here doesn't know, @Loz is an administrator and moderator of the T6 Forum in addition to his expert posts on this forum.

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 12.33.03 AM.png

Last edited:

Official recommendation of VW posted by @Loz on T6 forum, 210,000km without time limit, with inspections at every service. VW Commercial Vehicles UK is a private importer who refuses to explain why they have changed the VW recommendation for UK instead of using the same criteria that is used in all other markets. Forum members who have contacted VW Commercial Vehicles UK to ask why UK owners are being given information which contradicts the factory recommendation have been told that "that information is not available to be shared." Loz has also contacted the belt manufacturer, who says the belt is designed to last 10 years.

If anybody here doesn't know, @Loz is an administrator and moderator of the T6 Forum in addition to his expert posts on this forum.

View attachment 90678
And as has been mentioned before, see above for your screenshot, In Europe the service includes a Cambelt inspection but in the UK it doesn't, just 4yrly or 80,000 miles replacement ( 128,748 kms).
Seeing as I am fortunate enough to average 80,000 miles in 4 yrs I'll keep with the UK recommendation.

Incidentally my post was to indicate that VW Commercial UK have a different recommendation to VW Cars UK.

Hello
I have a 2018 Ocean with 9k on the clock. VW UK recommendation got the better of me and I decided to get the Cambelt changed as per UK guidelines.

I asked to see the removed Cambelt……it is immaculate, Pristine. Seems VW UK have got this wrong and perhaps can extend the life of Cambelt for a few more years of low mileage vehicles.

Had Cambelt and Waterpump done at VW Van Centre Lincoln for £680 inc VAT

My t6 is also 2018. Have given up with VW servicing. Had my cambelt and water pump changed by a local independent using genuine parts £450 Inc vat!

I'm still bemused by the suggestion that a water pump should be changed. Those of us that have been in the VW world for many years will no doubt remember that there were water pumps that shed their impellors but surely that manufacturing fault has been rectified long ago. Except for bearings/seal what else goes wrong with a water pump?

And yes I have had both changed on our T6 but at well over 40,000miles and about five years of age. That was back in 2021 cost was £483 (inc VAT) at an independent workshop but using genuine parts to ensure the two year warranty on the parts. For info the labour time was 1.9hrs which included flushing the coolant system.

Last edited:
Back