Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cashed in

Completely agree with you, except the last part.

We are talking cmpervans, not motorhomes, vehicles converted within the size specifications of the base vehicle.

However the forum is diluted, with the GC section, which is why I said if it's to go anywhere in this forum rather than a sister forum that's where "others" should go.

Anyhow, this little diversion has achieved one amazing result.

@WelshGas agreed with you :D
Not the first time.;)

I understand English is not your first language, the nuances of phraseology will be difficult for you, and I hope that I demonstrate a respect for that.

There was a suggestion that as a few members have drifted to larger Ducato based campers, but still have knowledge to impart, and that others also may have an interest in sharing knowledge of other, non California campers, this forum should have a separate suggestion. I responded by saying I do not think that will be appropriate, but if it were to happen then perhaps the place for it would be the GC section. I also suggested that if it were to go that way, and certainly from a commercial point of view there is a large market sector that could be exploited by campervanbits, there could be a sister forum, as there is currently a sister forum for the Marco Polo.

Yes, the California is very highly praised on other Campervan social media places. Please note I emphasise Campervan as opposed to motorhomes. There is a relationship between people who wish to live in as small a place possible for their needs as the vehicle is to facilitate other lifestyles, and those who see the vehicle as central to the lifestyle.
Thank you for the explanation. We don't all have to think the same about every item but I’m satisfied with your whole explanation and even agree with it. I also do not see the larger campervan as a motorhome, but also not as a small campervan because it requires a certain way of life and adaptability (certainly when travelling) with those small ones that a bigger van just doesn’t ask (this is my opinion, everyone has his own idea about it of course). Note that there are 4 of us and we find our T4 westfalia california perfect, for trips but also for trips lasting several weeks and sometimes not-obvious places; we like this way of traveling so much that a T6.1 has been ordered - not yet delivered - and I will also drive it daily: maybe this will give a daily feeling of 'being on a journey' :)
For me, the California is a bit of a lifestyle in the sense that I'm very interested in it and even have t-shirts from it; we go to meetings and have fun there. The kids love it, but otherwise I'm just a boring civil servant who has other concerns and interests in life. But once in our van, I feel that bit happier and I wish this to everyone, Volkswagen, Fiat, Mercedes or whatever campervan owner.
Greetings

Thank you for the explanation. We don't all have to think the same about every item but I’m satisfied with your whole explanation and even agree with it. I also do not see the larger campervan as a motorhome, but also not as a small campervan because it requires a certain way of life and adaptability (certainly when travelling) with those small ones that a bigger van just doesn’t ask (this is my opinion, everyone has his own idea about it of course). Note that there are 4 of us and we find our T4 westfalia california perfect, for trips but also for trips lasting several weeks and sometimes not-obvious places; we like this way of traveling so much that a T6.1 has been ordered - not yet delivered - and I will also drive it daily: maybe this will give a daily feeling of 'being on a journey' :)
For me, the California is a bit of a lifestyle in the sense that I'm very interested in it and even have t-shirts from it; we go to meetings and have fun there. The kids love it, but otherwise I'm just a boring civil servant who has other concerns and interests in life. But once in our van, I feel that bit happier and I wish this to everyone, Volkswagen, Fiat, Mercedes or whatever campervan owner.
Greetings

I will never be without a Cali, except for the few months until the next one, in whatever form, arrives. It has been the moat remarkable vehicle that I have ever owned.

For now though I only have the Hymer AR, and I am really really enjoying it, it has made me hungry to camp again and get out and explore, which I am doing tomorrow :)

+1 for a mix of Ducatos,MPs,nothing French though.
Agree, nothing wrong with a Ducato subsection of this forum hidden away of course so as not to upset anyone. Plenty of people are moving either to or from a Ducato.

Ouch. My Dreamer (Rapido) is French or it will be with a twist of Italian. Take your point though.
You could say Westfalia is also French as its owned by Rapido and Fiat is Dutch as its owned by Stellantis and Hymer are owned by THOR in the US...

Last edited:
+1 for a mix of Ducatos,MPs,nothing French though.
I’m missing a section for the Ford Transit Custom Nugget(+) poptop/high top & its sister Big Nugget! ;-) ;-)

(Also a big market there to sell extra’s: you start to see them on every corner lately - at least in continental europe. And the next Cali will share its base with it!)

I’m missing a section for the Ford Transit Custom Nugget(+) poptop/high top & its sister Big Nugget! ;-) ;-)

(Also a big market there to sell extra’s: you start to see them on every corner lately - at least in continental europe. And the next Cali will share its base with it!)

That nugget looks quite interesting

Agree, nothing wrong with a Ducato subsection of this forum hidden away of course so as not to upset anyone. Plenty of people are moving either to or from a Ducato.
yes, well tucked away and well marked under 'recent' and 'new posts' because suppose you are reading a post and it turns out to be about a ducato variant large campervan and this unexpectedly on a forum that mentions vwcaliforniaclub :Grin
So, the beast is loose when I read everything here so I suggest to change the group name because otherwise it will be a bit confusing or even a bit ridiculous.
Tip: maybe also think about the members or future members (or ex-members) who change from California to a passenger car? Then it can be about the latest BMW or something. I've come across something like this a while ago. [meant to be funny]
Thought: I have a cowboy bike: this is a niche product: an electric single speed bike. I am a member of a Facebook page and forum of that bike. Potential buyers are coming to look around and check if this is the bike they want, hear about the pros and cons. I have seen people sell their bike and buy another electric bike - from a different brand - but haven’t seen a group of them expect somehow that a subdivision will be created for all other than a cowboy bike. Because his bike also gives him pleasure and it is also an electric one, isn't it? Of course he sold it and bought another for his understandable reasons (let's call it evolving). In the meantime, also mention how much he cashed in or how small the loss was by selling his cowboy. Maybe this is the next evolution of every forum or page?
Just to give you a thought.

Last edited:
yes, well tucked away and well marked under 'recent' and 'new posts' because suppose you are reading a post and it turns out to be about a ducato variant large campervan and this unexpectedly on a forum that mentions vwcaliforniaclub :Grin
Its very simple to use the "ignore thread" option for any section you aren't interested in. It doesn't appear in "recent" or " new" posts then. Just the same if people aren't interested in dogs, use the ignore thread to make it disappear.

I‘d like to look at the high top nugget.
We rented a poptop short version a few years ago. Was pretty good, to be honest. More choice in config compared to cali, with or without toilet, high top or pop-top. Ride was quite good too, but no all-wheel drive. And cabin interior is a bit less classy/more plastics.
I liked the wider poptop bed (1m35) and fixed separated kitchen in the back and still 5 seatbelts, but much less practical for every day use: due to no real boot area…

Yep, no boot area removed it completely from our shortlist. Versatility to use it for other things quite compromised. Shame as it looks nice…..but it does have a silly name too!

So, the beast is loose when I read everything here so I suggest to change the group name because otherwise it will be a bit confusing or even a bit ridiculous.
Tip: maybe also think about the members or future members (or ex-members) who change from California to a passenger car? Then it can be about the latest BMW or something. I've come across something like this a while ago. [meant to be funny]
Thought: I have a cowboy bike: this is a niche product: an electric single speed bike. I am a member of a Facebook page and forum of that bike. Potential buyers are coming to look around and check if this is the bike they want, hear about the pros and cons. I have seen people sell their bike and buy another electric bike - from a different brand - but haven’t seen a group of them expect somehow that a subdivision will be created for all other than a cowboy bike. Because his bike also gives him pleasure and it is also an electric one, isn't it? Of course he sold it and bought another for his understandable reasons (let's call it evolving). In the meantime, also mention how much he cashed in or how small the loss was by selling his cowboy. Maybe this is the next evolution of every forum or page?
Just to give you a thought.
why don’t people post on the hymer or Fiat forums, I am all for new things and change but this is the vw California club,if a vw California isn’t for them that’s fine.also not sure why people need to justify changing to a bigger van or moving to fiat.

Yep, no boot area removed it completely from our shortlist. Versatility to use it for other things quite compromised. Shame as it looks nice…..but it does have a silly name too!
But for people who would like to only use it for its intended use, it’s a very good alternative to the cali (and remains < 5m in length ;-)). Also (much) cheaper than the cali…

But for people who would like to only use it for its intended use, it’s a very good alternative to the cali (and remains < 5m in length ;-)). Also (much) cheaper than the cali…
And higher than 2 meters and that's why he fell off with us. Oops, now I'm participating in palavering about something other than a California :eek: :D Oh, hey at least it's still a small campervan ;)

And higher than 2 meters and that's why he fell off with us. Oops, now I'm participating in palavering about something other than a California :eek: :D Oh, hey at least it's still a small campervan ;)
With the right lowering spring, you could get it under 2m. Another popular thread opportunity!!
:-D

With the right lowering spring, you could get it under 2m. Another popular thread opportunity!!
:-D
That would be a 60mm drop to get it to 2m, 70mm drop = 1,99m
I'd go for the 70mm drop to be on the safe side but the ride might be a
bit hard.

why don’t people post on the hymer or Fiat forums, I am all for new things and change but this is the vw California club,if a vw California isn’t for them that’s fine.also not sure why people need to justify changing to a bigger van or moving to fiat.
Of course, I've been meaning that all along, but this isn't my forum and you can tell where it’s heading to. I don't oblige anyone or forbid anything because that's not who I am. My way is: I try on a sometimes playful or any other kind of humor or sometimes serious -even sometimes incomprehensible apparently- way, to let people think we’re they are… I hope for the best for the forum and indeed it is the vwcaliforniaclub after all.
If changes come: I won't mind, I don't think it's necessary either, but I'm going to be able to live with it.

Last edited:
Back