Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

City Assist

Does it let you know when it is Faulty? Is there a Warning Light on the Dash?
I wonder why they chose 19mph as the cut-off?

I think I would prefer such a system if it protected my vehicle from "distracted " drivers.
A 19 mph maximum speed limit, OK. Is that the true speed or speedometer speed?
Being "distracted" in city traffic moving at less than 19mph is not, in my personal opinion, the sign of a competent driver.
Anyway, hope you all enjoy it and that you never experience in action.:thumb
I look at it is an insurance policy. If it does what it says on the can then it might just avoid an accident by someone else doing something stupid. I think of the classic where the person you are behind turning left believes it is clear, goes and then stops for no reason. You are looking right and well we have an accident. Even though I class myself as a competent driver I do not believe that I am perfect and not able to have a lapse. I shall therefore listen to what those who have it say and then make a judgement. If I do have it as an option and then lose confidence in it I shall turn it off. I consider it until proved otherwise an extension to ABS and that has certainly got me out of trouble. I certainly won't be relying on it any more than I would deliberately ram into something to test my insurance company.

Looking forward to hearing how it operates in the real world from those that have experience of it.

Last edited:
Worked well on my Volvo, most of the time until it finally applied the brakes.

Just happened to be in France and it left me stopped some distance from a dithering local. The Wife thought I overreacted and I was reprived from further scorn due to the flashing notification on the dash.

By way of an update on this one, I still am far from convinced that its working at all. Interestingly on a long motorway drive last week I actually saw the odd warning coming up when a car in front would get too close - a clear indicator up on the dash / LCD display showing two cars with an arrow in between. BUT .. this was totally inconsistent and not something I could get to repeat. I'm not certain but I would almost say that this only worked when the warning was in place for a rest break (again that one is pretty sporadic (coffee mug symbol))
I'd suggest that the City Assist and all things front radar related certainly seem to be experiencing some issues - software or hardware. I'll probably wait to its first service to check but - had I chosen this option specifically - I would be pretty dissapointed in its performance.

Was on my first big drive down the M6 the other day and trying out the ACC when a car cut me up right in front of me and before I could react the brakes were being applied and the red warning symbol in the multi function display came up. Was very impressed.

By way of an update on this one, I still am far from convinced that its working at all. Interestingly on a long motorway drive last week I actually saw the odd warning coming up when a car in front would get too close - a clear indicator up on the dash / LCD display showing two cars with an arrow in between. BUT .. this was totally inconsistent and not something I could get to repeat. I'm not certain but I would almost say that this only worked when the warning was in place for a rest break (again that one is pretty sporadic (coffee mug symbol))
I'd suggest that the City Assist and all things front radar related certainly seem to be experiencing some issues - software or hardware. I'll probably wait to its first service to check but - had I chosen this option specifically - I would be pretty dissapointed in its performance.
I thought the City Assist was only low speed? Or is this the adaptive cruise control that was operating on the motorway?

Yep agreed low speed. I got it to kick in on a test drive but did not test it to its limits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no idea what this is supposed to be doing basically - for me anyway it is not really seeming to be doing what it says. Our van does NOT have ACC - only the City (Front) Assist. To date I have seen no evidence of it applying brakes or any warning light at all in low speeds around town - the light on the dash can be seen when you switch the option on in settings.
The ONLY thing I have seen working is, as above, a proximity warning on the motorway with no consistency to its operation and tied to the tiredness warning operating. Warning only - no application of the brakes like described above with ACC in this scenario which is as I would expect.
We had the dealers demo van a few weeks which had ACC and I was very impressed with it - I would spec this. Our van however came with Front Assist which I had hoped was at least a 'paired' down system - useful around town (with 2 small kids in the back it's not unusual to find yourself looking the wrong way!) but I have seen no evidence of this working which seems awfully odd given the amount of trouble VW have gone to to add the hardware on there...
I'm just curious to hear if anybody else has similar experience - I see from other VW threads (Golfs) that folks are finding it coming on occasionally but less than expected - a last resort option only.

Taken from a VW Brochure. I believe it operates at under 18 mph. Not got mine yet.

"Front Assist” ambient traffic monitoring system with City Emergency Braking System.2), 3) Usesa radar system to detect situations where the distance to the vehicle in front is critical, andreduces the vehicle’s stopping distance. In danger- ous situations, the system alerts the driver bymeans of visual and acoustic signals, and with a warning jolt of the brakes"

Mike

T6 CFO - yep thats what the brochure says, I'll be interested to hear if anybody can get the alert to work before chickening out and intervening. I can get mm close to the car in front with no signs of this expensive system doing what it says...

Gavrobb - Sounds like you need it checked out by the dealer. One I had on test worked first time I tried it. Hopefully someone else on here has it and has more knowledge. Good luck.

Mike

I might be wrong but that city break alone might just improve your braking performance not break itself. I recall reading lots of confusing descriptions. And seems only ACC can break without drivers input.

SP0 - yes, I 'think' that I can sense a change in the city braking when the gap closes but I would like to see more confirmation of this, could be my imagination. I would expect as per the advertising - some sort of light to come up if the braking is altered.

Hi Gav,

Did you get any update on this one?
I see you were in getting the Air Con looked at. Wondered if they had anything to say about this while you were there.

Cheers

Mr Gun - that's too funny matey - I had this page open and ready to update this. City Assist - the dealer could not have been more helpful on this one - setting up in the car park with a big tarp to do the demo, mechanic driving my van with both hands (and feet!) in the air - 'look not touching anything' - bang - straight through the tarp!!! Head scratching, trying to understand what this is supposed to do and what not and finally it appears that - in the last three days - VW have reported a fault with 'sporadic operation of the City Assist'.

I'll update as soon as I know more, suspect there will be some sort of a software update forthcoming....

Waiting for photos Tommy....

Thanks for the update. I was wondering how people were getting on with it. Sporadic operation

Mike

Mr Gun - that's too funny matey - I had this page open and ready to update this. City Assist - the dealer could not have been more helpful on this one - setting up in the car park with a big tarp to do the demo, mechanic driving my van with both hands (and feet!) in the air - 'look not touching anything' - bang - straight through the tarp!!! Head scratching, trying to understand what this is supposed to do and what not and finally it appears that - in the last three days - VW have reported a fault with 'sporadic operation of the City Assist'.

I'll update as soon as I know more, suspect there will be some sort of a software update forthcoming....

Waiting for photos Tommy....
Thanks for the update on that Gav.

Glad to hear that it'll get sorted for you. As you said - kids, distractions etc...even the best drivers can take their eye off of the ball - so it's a safety feature that really needs to work properly.

I'll get some photos to you. Strangely enough, it's quite similar to yours....;)

Cheers!
Tom

Perhaps VW head of quality control could be replaced for the tarp.

Mike

ACC does not work with stationary objects such as parked cars (page 294 in the manual). I think that may be the case with these other systems albeit at lower speeds.

Good to hear. First possible damage avoidance reported on here with this gizmo.

Mike

Ok so maybe my assumption was wrong it seems? (not sure if the above is a discussion from those who have this or just general comments?) I would have though that the system would be obvious working just on a daily basis - stop start traffic and maintaining a gap - that certainly appears how its advertised (my interpretation anyway..) and not just a safety feature for the final few mm that only occur in emergency.

Okay, a bit of confusion here between the feature that, hopefully, prevents you from running into the back of someone else if you haven't noticed them and the Active Cruise Control. I guess they are associated.

A lot of rear end collisions occur during a moment of distraction when you didn't notice the car in front had stopped. One part of the system will hopefully prevent this from happening.
The Active Cruise Control is very useful. For example, you may have it set at 50mph but be travelling at variable speeds lower than that. The system will hold your speed to maintain the same speed as the vehicle in front and keep a sensible stopping distance. If they slow down, so do you. If they stop, so do you. If they speed up, so do you (up to the speed you set). The stopping distance is proportional to the current speed. If you pull out to overtake, your speed automatically increases to your set speed. Very useful.

It takes courage to use at first and my foot hovers over the brake. I have used it in motorway, ordinary roads, and in traffic. Applying the brake switches the Active Cruise Control off.

(The above is a collection of my observations as an owner of a Cali with these features. Don't take it as absolute as I would rather not have the blame.) I'm sure VW would point out that it's not an excuse for bad driving.

Back