Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

City Assist

By way of an update on this one, I still am far from convinced that its working at all. Interestingly on a long motorway drive last week I actually saw the odd warning coming up when a car in front would get too close - a clear indicator up on the dash / LCD display showing two cars with an arrow in between. BUT .. this was totally inconsistent and not something I could get to repeat. I'm not certain but I would almost say that this only worked when the warning was in place for a rest break (again that one is pretty sporadic (coffee mug symbol))
I'd suggest that the City Assist and all things front radar related certainly seem to be experiencing some issues - software or hardware. I'll probably wait to its first service to check but - had I chosen this option specifically - I would be pretty dissapointed in its performance.

The graphic you mention is associated with the Active Cruise Control. I have found that it appears when another vehicle comes within my stopping distance. If they are going slower than me, my vehicle will then slow to the speed of the car in front and maintain the stopping distance. I never take it for granted, it's just a very useful feature that makes driving a little less stressful.

I have had ACC for 5 years on my Touareg and use it almost everywhere with 2 exceptions;
Roundabouts as it will follow the car in front onto the roundabout if he pulls away within 3 seconds of stopping which can be a little hairy,
and traffic lights, as ACC by itself does not recognise stationary traffic.
City braking is a further enhancement that works at lower speed to avoid objects like stationary cars etc.
I also have front assist that only measures the stopping distance and warns, dabs, or stamps on the brakes if the person in front suddenly stops or turns late without indication etc.

In my testing of ACC on a T6 multivan I found that it will only stop the van for a couple of seconds if the vehicle in front stops, then it suddenly releases the brake again which seems really stupid. Is this the same experience you have?

In my testing of ACC on a T6 multivan I found that it will only stop the van for a couple of seconds if the vehicle in front stops, then it suddenly releases the brake again which seems really stupid. Is this the same experience you have?
The Touareg also has auto hold so after 3 seconds it wont start again until you touch the throttle just sits holding the brake on..

I tested this today on my new T6. It does indees break and stops behind the vehicle in front. After a couple of seconds it beeps and tells the driver to break and then it releases the break with ACC disabled. The vehicle begins to slowly roll forward. Fine with me. I'm impressed with the function, also works in slow stop and go traffic (with shorter stops than a couple of seconds).

I had some part of this system work the other day, was on the motorway doing 75mph / 120kmh and there was a rapid stop ahead, I was already breaking but the van obviously thought more breaking was necessary and added it in. Was very happy since if I was breaking too slowly the consequences would not have been pleasant...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It worked for me once . I believe the system breaks for you just long enough so you can take control again, which can be more breaking or any other action appropriate to prevent a collision. Completely stop the car is not possible unless you have dsg. I think the manual says it will slow down the car to 10kmh (6mph) to minimize damage. Maybe you can therefor not test it at slower speed than 10kmh..

This thread seems to have progressed to an ACC discussion. Sounds great and I wish I had it (retro fit??) But, by way of an update on the OP, the City Assist I've all but given up on. It 'may' one day kick in when I need it but no signs of anything to date and it failed the tarp test (see earlier post) VW dealer has all but given up explaining what it can, can't should and doesn't do. Still get the two cars and exclamation symbol up on the motorway if I tailgate too close or somebody butts in - inconsistent at best (and absolutely nothing that the blurb claims for City Assist!) Usually seems to be with the (normal) Cruise running.

Mixed bag really - in summary - get the ACC option, don't waste your money on the City Assist.

This thread seems to have progressed to an ACC discussion. Sounds great and I wish I had it (retro fit??) But, by way of an update on the OP, the City Assist I've all but given up on. It 'may' one day kick in when I need it but no signs of anything to date and it failed the tarp test (see earlier post) VW dealer has all but given up explaining what it can, can't should and doesn't do. Still get the two cars and exclamation symbol up on the motorway if I tailgate too close or somebody butts in - inconsistent at best (and absolutely nothing that the blurb claims for City Assist!) Usually seems to be with the (normal) Cruise running.

Mixed bag really - in summary - get the ACC option, don't waste your money on the City Assist.
I've got my head around ACC which is excellent and had a play around today before an upcoming motorway trip. Side assist by default was off on my Cali and I've now activated it so will be interesting.
Now to the City assist, sure I read in the manual that it is for speeds between 3-19mph so not for motorway use as you describe. Page 290 in my manual.

Mike

I've got my head around ACC which is excellent and had a play around today before an upcoming motorway trip. Side assist by default was off on my Cali and I've now activated it so will be interesting.
Now to the City assist, sure I read in the manual that it is for speeds between 3-19mph so not for motorway use as you describe. Page 290 in my manual.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. This was one of my main queries about Emergency Braking, was it motorway or the usual under 20mph. Sounds like it will work with ACC off. I have it on my little Skoda and was convinced it didn't work.....until it worked! Helped to avoid a collision on a roundabout when a helpful person pulled out at the last minute, breaks slammed on faster than I could have reacted. My feeling is that you do have to be very close though.

Good to know it's there as a backup on the Cali

Thanks, Mike. This was one of my main queries about Emergency Braking, was it motorway or the usual under 20mph. Sounds like it will work with ACC off. I have it on my little Skoda and was convinced it didn't work.....until it worked! Helped to avoid a collision on a roundabout when a helpful person pulled out at the last minute, breaks slammed on faster than I could have reacted. My feeling is that you do have to be very close though.

Good to know it's there as a backup on the Cali
That's good to hear. Yep separate from ACC. I shall have a play and see if I can get it to respond. Early days

Mike

Yep - the City Assist is not what it's supposed to be - no sign of it working in City (3-19mph) and regular signs of it working on the highway (60-70mph). Maybe one day the mystery will be solved but doesn't seem to be a clear answer out there from any other users with similar experience or VW for that matter...

Glad you are enjoying the ACC T6CFO

Yep - the City Assist is not what it's supposed to be - no sign of it working in City (3-19mph) and regular signs of it working on the highway (60-70mph). Maybe one day the mystery will be solved but doesn't seem to be a clear answer out there from any other users with similar experience or VW for that matter...

Doesn't Front Assist (the higher speed warnings & braking) come with City Assist (lower speed)?
But like you have yet to see it in action (either) but don't really want to have to get that close to see what happens!

Ok I've now read the manual fully and from that I can see that Front Assist does work at higher speeds and you would get the warnings you previously described and a failure to act on them can lead to an automatic brake warning and even audible warnings. City assist is in addition and works hopefully at the lower speeds. To be honest it is best to read the manual from page 287 onwards and not skip to the indexed description of City Assist on page 290 as I initially did.
Next step for me is to see what happens at higher speeds with Front Assist and hope City Assist works when and if required or simulate the conditions to make it work.
As they say and I rarely do RTFM
Thread should perhaps be renamed Front Assist / City Assist ?

Mike

Last edited:
I had mine brake and giving alarm suddenly, when driving in the rain and a big splash came on the "radar" from the other lanes driver …

In my experience of these systems fitted to our Touareg you are more likely to see front assist in the following scenarios;
1. on a motorway when you are in the middle lane approaching a slower vehicle in front, whilst waiting for a car to pass you in the fast lane so you can pull out. If you pull out sharply as soon as the car passes you, the front assist will warn you with a loud warning and possibly a symbol on the display. This is the audible "First Stage" warning.
2. following another vehicle along a road and he either suddenly turns left with little or no warning, or you have already judged his departure and drive past. The front assist may do the above followed by a 'Dab" on the brake. This is stage two.

I have never experienced the 3rd stage "Full on braking" as I'm normally already reacting.

Some good info on this long running thread - thanks. It's clear (maybe always was) that this is actually two different features Front Assist AND City Assist. Also known as Front Assist with 'city emergency braking function'. The advice above is really good in this regard - thank you. (VW never did really understand this)
On highway I can see the Front assist working and sounds like I'll see the city function one day when I need it - I can imagine its too clever a system to be fooled by a tarpaulin.
Still wish we had ACC tho !

Some good info on this long running thread - thanks. It's clear (maybe always was) that this is actually two different features Front Assist AND City Assist. Also known as Front Assist with 'city emergency braking function'. The advice above is really good in this regard - thank you. (VW never did really understand this)
On highway I can see the Front assist working and sounds like I'll see the city function one day when I need it - I can imagine its too clever a system to be fooled by a tarpaulin.
Still wish we had ACC tho !
I wonder if you still can add ACC since it uses the same hardware (radar) technology as front assist and city emergency breaking ?

This is a small movie testing the CA on a VW UP!

And the Front Assist:

I wonder if you still can add ACC since it uses the same hardware (radar) technology as front assist and city emergency breaking ?
I wondered the same thing - its something I would be interested in. BUT, given the glazed looks / lack of interest / in depth knowledge at the dealers on this ongoing question I think the inquiry for an upgrade would be a hard push!

I wondered the same thing - its something I would be interested in. BUT, given the glazed looks / lack of interest / in depth knowledge at the dealers on this ongoing question I think the inquiry for an upgrade would be a hard push!
Not just a software issue I'm afraid as you would be missing the multi function steering wheel with the buttons to activate it. So would start getting very expensive.

Mike

I did spec the Multi Function Steering Wheel on my 1st van (@Gavrobb 's van) & on my current van. Is there any difference between the MFSW ordered without ACC, compared to a MFSW ordered with ACC?
Additional buttons? Anyone know? Hopefully no difference, then maybe you can get it Gav.

Cheers

This is my non-ACC Multi Function Steering Wheel.
Does the ACC version have anything on the blank black button, above "CNL" ?

Back