Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

Now I'm angry! :headbang

What will it take to wake up these selfish cretins.

Walking was one of the activities the Prime Minister said he was happy to continue. Perhaps he meant in the local park rather than the National Parks, but given the National advice given I can understand why a family in Birmingham might want to escape home isolation and go for a walk up Snowdon. If my boys were a couple of years older I might want to do the same - though I’d probably prefer a quieter hill to roam.

Walking was one of the activities the Prime Minister said he was happy to continue. Perhaps he meant in the local park rather than the National Parks, but given the National advice given I can understand why a family in Birmingham might want to escape home isolation and go for a walk up Snowdon. If my boys were a couple of years older I might want to do the same - though I’d probably prefer a quieter hill to roam.

I presume the government is still feeling its way on all this. They probably assumed that people would melt into all the quiet spots in the countryside and stay away from each other, but the herding instinct is strong and I guess for at least quite a lot of city dwellers "walking in the country" means finding a car park at one of the major emblematic destinations.

And as for whatever is in our PM's head when he opens his mouth, well who knows? Only a couple of days ago he was telling people to stay at home, and to steer clear of the oldies, then in the same news conference said he'd be seeing his mother today. No wonder some folks are confused.

I live opposite a lovely countryside walk that we can see from our bedroom window.

It’s very popular, but never more so than now. On a normal Sunday morning, you’d see runners, cyclists and walkers all enjoying the pathways, maybe between 5 to 10 people visible at any one time on the half mile stretch we can see. Now it’s more like triple that number, even on week days (busiest just after 5pm, when people stop working from home).

I think this is what people should be doing, it’s local, it’s easy to distance yourself and you get out of the house to avoid cabin fever. No need to drive miles to national parks and put pressure on rural communities.

Opened the curtains this morning to a very red sky.
Red sky in morning, Shepard’s warning.......

43D6B81A-9BCC-4EC8-ADDD-D1482E0DF691.jpeg

Same here. Not sure how they can add more as there is only a finite amount of logistical support in place. The supermarkets would have to create more space to construct the orders, hire more staff (creating risk of contact) to build the orders, more refrigerated vans and drivers to deliver them. Not an easy fix to implement quickly. However, there must be spare capacity now as many vehicles and drivers from other companies are no longer delivering to pubs and cafes. Perhaps this is already being discussed at COBRA meetings.
Offer your services, flat bed down, get out there serving the nation on behalf of Waitrose.

Until one of you falls / has a road accident etc which requires NHS resources. A situation which is completely avoidable.

Well done. Tough if they were upset imo. You and your team have the right to be safe.
....and save others. Credit to them.

So, having cancelled our Newquay via Rugby trip, here I am in splendid isolation sitting on the balcony in the glorious spring sunshine trying to forget all about the Corona Crisis when Claire said Would you like a beer from the fridge before I take the dogs out? What did she bring me...5867B876-817E-45BC-A0CA-96C364D0C381.jpeg

Bless her!

Just seen that Hammersmith and Fulham are closing their parks.

Seems wrong. People still need a place to exercise.

Not yet they don’t. Lid needs putting firmly on this and then releasing later after we get some measure of control.

Stay home don’t travel, simple.

If and it’s to big an if people were sensible and intelligent about it like no doubt you are maybe. But they’re not.

Mike

What it is my friend, is old news. That was a week ago. Changing times. :thumb
Just like to point out it was only 2 days ago you were still being pretty dismissive and offensive to me.....

I bumped into this problem on a post earlier this evening, FT doesn't allow posting links for non-subscribers. I had to take a screen shot for my post.
View attachment 56420
Switzerland is also quite low, despite being the second most infected country behind Italy. People here are respecting the rules though and the shops are well stocked.
(Some very small states have a higher rate than Italy)

The trouble is there is a big difference between taking yourself off for an isolated walk in the woods or park behind your house and driving to Snowdonia. Firstly, at least some of those vehicles would have needed fuel enroute and the occupants would no doubt need the toilet facilities. Further more, I'm sure many will be touching stiles, gates and raillings at these places thus providing yet more opportunities to spread the virus. If everyone were have the same mindset where it doesn't matter if I drive to the seaside or mountains then any advised controls on movements will ultimately prove useless.

This isn't a prolonged Bank holiday, it's a global emergency of the gravest proportions.

Personally, I've been advised to stay at home so that's precisely what I shall be doing.

As far as I can tell the current UK Government exit strategy for the current pandemic is this:

Firewall the over 70s and vulnerable groups by isolating them from the rest of the population.

Try to manage the spread of the virus around the rest of the population by restricting and relaxing social distancing so that the NHS can just manage without the need to make hard choices over ventilator priority.

They are not relying on a vaccine being available anytime soon and are betting that once infected and recovered reinfection will be rare or non existent.

Once there is sufficient immunity among the less vulnerable population the firewall between them and the more vulnerable will be gradually relaxed.

Does anyone have a different interpretation of the exit strategy?

Nope that’s about it.

One of our boys in Bristol is certain he went down with it Friday, high temperature in the evening, went to bed, sweated all night and out digging in the garden next day. Feels fine now. (Early 30’s and fit as a flea)

He and his partner have two lodgers so that’s 4 grounded although they were already self isolating.
He is a key worker so been at work and will try to get tested.

Mike

Back