Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

You are right. I took the decision today to close the doors on my campervan business. Some customers were upset but it's the right thing to do.
Well done. Tough if they were upset imo. You and your team have the right to be safe.

I posted as a reply to another post, but I will post here as well. I am appealing to all responsible considerate Cali owners:

I live on the edge of the Cairngorm National Park, Deeside. We have noticed an uptick in camper vans traveling to the area and parking up in random places. We believe people are traveling from cities to avoid the virus. The local residents are really not very happy about this. If you decide to travel and camp, you are likely to receive a cold reception from local people and land owners. All bars restaurants are closed, campsites are closed. National Trust properties are closed. The shops are smaller and stock takes longer to get here. We are strugguling to get supplies as it is, without the pressure of extra vistors. We have very limited capacity in terms of hospitals, doctors and emergency services. Critical care beds can be 100's of miles away and helicopter transfers are required. Many ferries are running a restricted service and some of the islands are closed to visitors.

Traveling simply risks spreading the virus to remote communities, many with an ageing population. Also, some are under an illusion you can park-up anywhere in Scotland. Many local authorities have bylaws that restrict wild-camping. Most roadside parking has restrictions on overnight stays. These are likely to be policed more vigorously in the current climate.

You may not have symptoms but still have the virus. Many people will be asymptomatic, i.e. have the virus no real symptoms. Do not help spread the virus, please stay home and observe the advice of the government.

Please do not travel, you will not be welcome.

We thank-you for your cooperation.

Very well put. This really does apply to the whole country. STAY HOME. No one wants this to go on any longer than necessary and we will get through it and then we can be on our travels again. The light at the end of the tunnel will come.

Does anyone think we should have separate threads for the more serious discussions and then the jokes in another?
After spending thirty years in the Fire Service as an operational firefighter, I'm afraid tragedy and black humour often go hand in hand. In my experience it is often used as a coping mechanism. It doesn't make the issue any less serious, it just helps people to cope. It is most important to retain a sense of humour in dark times for this reason.

Last edited:
A Scottish government review earlier considered legislation regarding off site overnight parking (wild camping in vehicles) but held off. If numbers continue to flout the advice and restrictions do not be surprised if it becomes law. It is being looked at as locals have rights too and is being discussed now.

And your supermarket storey did make me laugh out loud yesterday Elly, so much so Mrs K went to bed which was a win win for me because not only was there peace and quiet in the valley, I could also go and make toast.

You will be lucky to get a home delivery. Around here there is at least two week wait for a delivery slot - and that's for premium members.
No home delivery slots here for any of the Supermarket chains. Just have to go shopping personally.

Very well put. This really does apply to the whole country. STAY HOME. No one wants this to go on any longer than necessary and we will get through it and then we can be on our travels again. The light at the end of the tunnel will come.
I am getting concerned
I live and work in Cumbria in the NHS
My Cali is my only vehicle
I need to travel to work to provide a service that the Country is dependant on.
I don’t want to find it with slashed tyres or worse and “Go home idiot” daubed on it.
Please can we get the message out that responsible use needs to be demonstrated by all.

No home delivery slots here for any of the Supermarket chains. Just have to go shopping personally.
Same here. Not sure how they can add more as there is only a finite amount of logistical support in place. The supermarkets would have to create more space to construct the orders, hire more staff (creating risk of contact) to build the orders, more refrigerated vans and drivers to deliver them. Not an easy fix to implement quickly. However, there must be spare capacity now as many vehicles and drivers from other companies are no longer delivering to pubs and cafes. Perhaps this is already being discussed at COBRA meetings.

Same here. Not sure how they can add more as there is only a finite amount of logistical support in place. The supermarkets would have to create more space to construct the orders, hire more staff (creating risk of contact) to build the orders, more refrigerated vans and drivers to deliver them. Not an easy fix to implement quickly. However, there must be spare capacity now as many vehicles and drivers from other companies are no longer delivering to pubs and cafes. Perhaps this is already being discussed at COBRA meetings.

All the idiots who went out last week and cleared the shelves now have too much food at home. It’s a bit like the pre Christmas rush!

Hopefully next week people will be sensible just buy what they need and should hopefully see normal stock levels.

If you didn’t have home delivery before, don’t have it now, or, you will put a strain on the system.

Exercise equipment is now seeing a boost!

We are back from a long term trip around Europe a few days ago, our home is rented, so we are staying in the Cali, difficult tho as Campsites are closing/closed. Its going to get interesting finding charge and showers

Relative/ Friend with a driveway.?

Mike

Do you buy only what is essential for your immediate need?, or do you stock up so you can go less often and reduce social contact?

Cancelled my tour of the NC 500 for 10 days which should have started on Thursday, seemed the logical thing to do.
I would suggest you cancel it for the next 3months. We are only just starting on our journey with the virus. We are expected to be 2 weeks behind the Italy curve.

One aspect of a lockdown coming into force is that with all of the School kids being at home and with all from infants up having a Smartphone they will be almost permanently in contact with each other blocking up the Mobile Phone Networks. The same will also apply to the broadband system with film etc streaming plus access for internet searches.

One aspect of a lockdown coming into force is that with all of the School kids being at home and with all from infants up having a Smartphone they will be almost permanently in contact with each other blocking up the Mobile Phone Networks. The same will also apply to the broadband system with film etc streaming plus access for internet searches.

I think that the video streaming services are all turning down the quality.

Back