Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

Should add I have a holiday let, we have closed it until further notice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camping & caravan club email over the weekend noted sites will take bookings for 50% occupancy only and all amenity blocks are closed. Our booking for Easter in Cornwall has been cancelled as the site is now closed.

High street is closing down. I suspect over the next couple of weeks all campsites will also close down voluntarily.

Its escalating fast and the only option will be to stay home - before the Government force us all to stay home - watching last nights news and seeing how busy north wales and coastal areas is indicating the stupidity and selfishness of so many. It hasn't really hit us hard yet, but it will. The numbers are increasing exponentially on a daily basis.
London is ahead on the curve from the rest of the country, and we are in one of the hardest hit parts of London. 4% of the confirmed cases nationally are in the London Boroughs of Bromley, Greenwich and Lewisham - our three local London Boroughs.

We are going to hunker down. Although we have rations for four for four weeks, we need to share them with Clare's mum and stepdad who live a couple of miles away. Fortunately Sainsbury's have allocated us a delivery slot this week, so our diet won't be restricted to tinned grapefruit and condensed milk for breakfast, pasta and tinned hotdogs for lunch, and tinned curry and rice for dinner.

Walks in the park are now off.

I don't know if we will keep Meg's vet appointment on Wednesday. Her poor paw is still poor, and her antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicine will run out on Wednesday.

Newquay’s “come if you want” response does not follow the governments message of stay at home. Clearly putting profit and wealth before the care of its owners, families or holiday guests. These sites and owners are being shamed locally which sadly needs to be made public. I live in Cornwall and whilst we do rely upon tourism now is not the time for visitors.

They’ll be on forced lock down soon, maybe later today?

Newquay’s “come if you want” response does not follow the governments message of stay at home. Clearly putting profit and wealth before the care of its owners, families or holiday guests. These sites and owners are being shamed locally which sadly needs to be made public. I live in Cornwall and whilst we do rely upon tourism now is not the time for visitors.

I agree, but I saw the fact that they called me to give me the option as a positive. Stay safe.

I have every regard for my own life, thanks, and plan to enjoy it to the full, even if that means (as it now does) staying at home. Recognising I’m not going to live forever does not mean I want to die. The post you have quoted was written on the first day of this thread whilst other members were out and about in the U.K. having had overseas trips cancelled and things were very different from how they are now. Out of ten comments left 8 were likes and 2 were dislikes (one of the likes may subsequently have been withdrawn). Most of the likes were left prior to my update where I tried to make my current position clear.
Sorry Joker, I need to be mindful and have a look at the dates. Cheers for the heads up. Note to self - take a breath & think before pressing post.

London is ahead on the curve from the rest of the country, and we are in one of the hardest hit parts of London. 4% of the confirmed cases nationally are in the London Boroughs of Bromley, Greenwich and Lewisham - our three local London Boroughs.

We are going to hunker down. Although we have rations for four for four weeks, we need to share them with Clare's mum and stepdad who live a couple of miles away. Fortunately Sainsbury's have allocated us a delivery slot this week, so our diet won't be restricted to tinned grapefruit and condensed milk for breakfast, pasta and tinned hotdogs for lunch, and tinned curry and rice for dinner.

Walks in the park are now off.

I don't know if we will keep Meg's vet appointment on Wednesday. Her poor paw is still poor, and her antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicine will run out on Wednesday.
Take care, Tom. Hope you can get Meg to the vet.

Teddie says "Stay safe out there"
View attachment 56464
Barney wants to be a role model and advices chillaxing in the van on your drive, if you have one. If not remember social distancing guidelines.

He’s also happy to announce that a vet on the radio yesterday said that the corona virus doesn’t survive for long on animal fur (current thinking).

His personal advice for all social distancing is roll yourself in foxes pooh, no one will come within 200m, let alone 2!

BB705BFB-8845-4A21-85E5-36CC09964C33.jpeg

Barney wants to be a role model and advices chillaxing in the van on your drive, if you have one. If not remember social distancing guidelines.

He’s also happy to announce that a vet on the radio yesterday said that the corona virus doesn’t survive for long on animal fur (current thinking).

His personal advice for all social distancing is roll yourself in foxes pooh, no one will come within 200m, let alone 2!

View attachment 56465
If you‘re unsure as to the most effective method of fox pooh rolling, Barney said he’ll message MattBW to see if he’ll do a video (from the recommended distance, obviously) to upload.

who’s who? The one at the front looks like he’s thinking, “oh, no! Not banging on about that bl*!dy corona virus again!”.
Benn, the lighter coloured one (and older by 4 months) is in front. Chester, the darker one is aged 15 months. Benn is absolutely thinking that!

Suffice it to say that this thread has not aged well. :-(

A bit of perspective on the crowds in Snowden etc. To be fair when you saw pictures of shopping centres etc they were empty. Most were probably trying to do the right thing and will have learnt from this.

Mike

When you drive to some picturesque place and the car parks full. Turn round and go somewhere else or even better go back home...!!!
Same as thinking walking along the beach will somehow be miraculous deserted with the majority of the country not working...:headbang

@Borris, I would have selected Hunt. But instead we have the buffoon.

I agree we have to get behind the PM, I don’t dispute that. But so far all I’ve witnessed is complete mis-management and error after error which the government must be held accountable for.
Btw. Yes I am a Tory supporter. But I am not happy with how this is being handled.

When you drive to some picturesque place and the car parks full. Turn round and go somewhere else or even better go back home...!!!
Same as thinking walking along the beach will somehow be miraculous deserted with the majority of the country not working...:headbang

I agree we have to get behind the PM, I don’t dispute that. But so far all I’ve witnessed is complete mis-management and error after error which the government must be held accountable for.
Btw. Yes I am a Tory supporter. But I am not happy with how this is being handled.

You must be a brilliant epidemiologist that can see the whole big picture then.

This is a science led policy planned 7 years ago before Brexit and Boris, not dogma or a personality driven one. I can't stand the man, the capitalist greed he represents and the party he leads but I do see energy and a resistance to do what Boris normally does best, play to the crowd.

I think once he has his emergency powers, (and to date for all the public clamour for lockdown we must remember we live in a democracy and much of what is needed to enforce lockdown can only be given by parliamentary assent), then we will see progressive lockdown, but only when it can be enforced or we do sleepwalk into a catastrophe, as the Italians now admit to doing by imposing lockdown too soon.

With respect, I think it's a bit early to say it's "complete mis-management and error after error". Of course the Government will be held responsible, that comes with the territory but I doubt if Hunt would have done things any differently as he and his cabinet would have been advised by exactly the same experts. Anyone holding the post of PM would be crackers to ignore the advice of these experts under the current circumstances. I prefer to wait until after the all clear is sounded before evaluating the effectiveness of the measures taken to date and their timing.

My perspective is that Boris has done a pretty good job of managing this threat so far. I certainly wouldn't want to be in his shoes at the moment.

Cometh the Hour, Cometh the Man. Whether you like him or his Party.

Things could have been a lot worse. We would probably be on the 2nd Referendum to find out what the country thinks of Social Distancing or Isolation details for those with Symptoms.

With respect, I think it's a bit early to say it's "complete mis-management and error after error". Of course the Government will be held responsible, that comes with the territory but I doubt if Hunt would have done things any differently as he and his cabinet would have been advised by exactly the same experts. Anyone holding the post of PM would be crackers to ignore the advice of these experts under the current circumstances. I prefer to wait until after the all clear is sounded before evaluating the effectiveness of the measures taken to date and their timing.

My perspective is that Boris has done a pretty good job of managing this threat so far. I certainly wouldn't want to be in his shoes at the moment.
I think he has managed the economic bit better than many other countries but on the social / preventive side he has been lagging and shown little leadership. He needs to stop appeasing people and implement more aggressive strategies to tackle what is a very aggressive virus / illness. I don't for a moment believe that the scientific movement / advisors would have been against stricter isolation measures & earlier implementation of them !

We sat and watched China and Italy and didn’t learn from their mistakes.
Italy locked down and nobody took it seriously to begin with, hence why they are in the situation they’re now.
We should have had a better handle on this from the start.

I just checked my local airport arrivals. Flights are still coming from China and Rome...???

We must do more, NOW...!!!

You must be a brilliant epidemiologist that can see the whole big picture then.

This is a science led policy planned 7 years ago before Brexit and Boris, not dogma or a personality driven one. I can't stand the man, the capitalist greed he represents and the party he leads but I do see energy and a resistance to do what Boris normally does best, play to the crowd.

I think once he has his emergency powers, (and to date for all the public clamour for lockdown we must remember we live in a democracy and much of what is needed to enforce lockdown can only be given by parliamentary assent), then we will see progressive lockdown, but only when it can be enforced or we do sleepwalk into a catastrophe, as the Italians now admit to doing by imposing lockdown too soon.
I missed that part about the Italians saying they locked down too soon.Could you give us a link?

I missed that part about the Italians saying they locked down too soon.Could you give us a link?

Not really but it has been a general admission on all the discussions that one of the lessons learnt was that the firestorm spread of the virus out of Cordogno was due to people not taking it seriously, similar to where we were in the UK a week ago. It hit the growth curve exactly right, just as the virus had spread sufficiently amongst the population for an exponential growth so people were hugging each other in crowded, enclosed spaces.

This is all part of epidemiology, the two variables, the nature of the pathogen and the nature of the species it is attacking and sadly as we saw yesterday the nature of the species can sometimes be frustratingly more difficult to predict than the nature of the pathogen.

Of course we all talk about the Italian and Spanish lockdown, how about the Korean one, the one that never happened but still the South Koreans managed, without draconian measures, to manage the epidemic better than any other nation? It's not all about lockdown, but then the Korea, and to some extent Singapore, governments have powers that in our liberal western societies would never be tolerated, such as using the mobile phone network for surveillance. The Koreans also managed to predict, and have a better outcome of prediction, how their population would react, which was with discipline and with national cohesion, perhaps something to do with being on a war footing for the last 70 years.

If the citizens of the UK were to behave with such discipline and cohesion then we would not need to talk about lockdown.

Back