Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

On Radio 2 today, the resident doctor (can't recall her name) made a point that really resonated with me. I paraphrase, but she said....

This virus can and will infect perfectly healthy people. Continuing to go to the pub, out to restaurants or carry on as normal will increase the percentage of who gets infected concurrently. Now whilst it is less likely that these people will die from the virus, a percentage will get ill enough that they need to hospitalised. The bed they occupy will therefore not be available to an elderly person who could die.

By going to the pub (or golf, or whatever) and getting it bad enough to require a hospital bed, these people will directly be responsible for someone else dying.

THIS is why we should isolate. Not for ourselves, but to ensure beds are kept free for those that really need it.

When I heard this, it really made me think in a different way. I had no plans to go to the pub, but meeting with a few mates for bike rides in the countryside was on the cards. I've now decided not to...it's just not worth it.
This is EXACTLY what I have said to both sets of friends... I’m banging me head against a brick wall...

Just let the man go golfing. If all the others are responsible enough, he will just be alone there, so no risk for contamination. If there are more people there, then they all are irresponsible.

It looks like the fact that highly contagious people can be completely asymptomatic, and can leave the virus on surfaces where it can be active for days, has still not been assimilated by the population at large.

Last edited:
Well, my dad had the same idea. And then they closed off the golf corses as well....

A minority of people won't be shaken out of their ignorance/complacency/selfishness until the day someone they know personally, and maybe someone they're close to, dies from the virus. Unfortunately that' day is likely to be in the pretty near future.

If they are so concerned about people dying why don't they make smoking illegal? Load of bollox if you ask me
Is this a record for the most disagrees? All smokers obviously though so it's biased

A minority of people won't be shaken out of their ignorance/complacency/selfishness until the day someone they know personally, and maybe someone they're close to, dies from the virus. Unfortunately that' day is likely to be in the pretty near future.
I totally agree. But sadly dealing with 2 ex colleagues / neighbours who have both been (separately with friends / family) out of the country around the time Boris started his daily press conferences...

When I heard this, it really made me think in a different way. I had no plans to go to the pub, but meeting with a few mates for bike rides in the countryside was on the

I am meant to be meeting friends for a cycle at 10:30 tomorrow.
I’m really not sure...?
I know I shouldn’t, but on the other hand. My company says I’m a core worker and therefore as the entire institution closes, it’s deemed fit that I still attend work to keep things ticking over...

@Borris says we should be over this in 12 weeks, I'm not so sure, what do others think?

I’m really not sure...?
I know I shouldn’t, but on the other hand. My company says I’m a core worker and therefore as the entire institution closes, it’s deemed fit that I still attend work to keep things ticking over...
I see it this way: if you are prepared to take precautions to protect others, i.e. gloves, masks, keeping distance, you should go for a ride. If you're only worrying about yourself, stay home.

Assumption is the mother of all f¥<€ up’s. Yes optimistic.

Write 2020 off. Will also change the way we work going forward.

Pss
I’m really not sure...?

Psss….. riding about 70km on South Downs on Saturday with a mate. Legs are going well at the moment.

On the downside I have to go to London tomorrow morning to review a floor installation. Sounds horrible up there.

I'm stuck in the middle at the moment. I'm not overly concerned about myself but I am concerned for others. I don't believe we have enough facts and I believe the press are making headlines out of this situation. I believe this virus has been around in the general population so the numbers will rise (otherwise it seems to have gone after the celebrities first, who form a small percentage of our population).

I believe we need to protect those who are more vulnerable to this virus. I believe the shock to the economy will be severe. I believe that smoking is a life style choice which may come back to bite some people.

Listening to radio4 on the way to work, 12 weeks or June is when they expect it to peak and then start dropping off. It's going to be a long haul, no one is going back to school until September at least, if at all this year.
I'm confident science will come to the rescue although not in time for some.

Which particular episode of 12 weeks?

Yes, I'm self-isolating for this episode of 12 weeks. It may be that by the time the middle of June comes it has all quietened down. I might even be able to run in the rescheduled Southampton 1/2 and go off in Alfie somewhere.

Until it comes back again.

Back