Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

We’ve taken the decision to buy a coop and four chickens - if all the laying ones haven’t been panic bought for their feathers to use a toilet paper substitute.

We’ve got to get more things for the boys to do over the coming weeks. Chicken care will take up about 30 minutes of the now vacant school day.
welcome to the club! we've had chucks for 15 years and our 2 and 4 year Olds love having them. recently bought another 4 at point of lay and have a cockerel due to keep us in constant supply of meat and eggs.

All I can tell you is we, that is human kind, will get past this deeply disturbing episode. All things come to an end!

And to prove it, here is a photograph that may be of interest. It was taken in June 1919 and features my ancestral family gathered outside my paternal great grandparent's house on the Romney Marsh in Kent.

View attachment 56348

Why was it taken? Apparently as a mark of thanks giving following both the Great War and the truly dreadful Spanish Flu Pandemic that killed more than the war itself. My Great Grandparents are seated in the center with their eight sons, seven daughters and issue gathered around them. When so many had died in both the war and the following pandemic my family was remarkable for being the largest surviving family in Kent that were relatively untouched by both events. My Grandfather (third from the right, rear row) was injured in WW1 and had mental health issues for the rest of his life but he too survived. The photo was taken before a large party held to mark the occasion.

Another thing worth bearing in mind is that that was before the age of benefits so if anyone fell ill then they were really stuck.

I'm really not trying to make light of the current awful situation that we all find ourselves in. Many people have died already and there's no end in sight but an end there will be for sure.
Wow, what a family portrait Borris and one to be proud off.

We’ve taken the decision to buy a coop and four chickens - if all the laying ones haven’t been panic bought for their feathers to use a toilet paper substitute.

We’ve got to get more things for the boys to do over the coming weeks. Chicken care will take up about 30 minutes of the now vacant school day.
Watch out for the Urban foxes. My daughter had some when she lived in Eltham. Urban fox cleared them out after 3 months. That was with a wire cage including floor.
Version 2 of the chicken coup was more like Fort Knox but lasted 3 years until they moved.

Watch out for the Urban foxes. My daughter had some when she lived in Eltham. Urban fox cleared them out after 3 months. That was with a wire cage including floor.
Version 2 of the chicken coup was more like Fort Knox but lasted 3 years until they moved.
Electric mesh fence is highly effective against foxes.

My mother-in-law's neighbour's daughter (or maybe granddaughter) had her baby snatched away by a fox.

Our home backs onto a park and we have plenty of foxes in our garden. Because of Meg we fare better than our dogless neighbours, but foxes are a menace. I picked up one of their poos from our driveway yesterday. I'm glad I spotted it before Meg - she rolls in it!

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I plan to get a walk-in chicken run.

1584729601580.png

Perhaps not quite as big as this.

Wow, what a family portrait Borris and one to be proud off.
Indeed it is. My Aunt Joan (being held by my grandfather) was the last one alive until her death in 2009 aged nearly 94. Before she died we sat with her and recorded her memories of that day. She dished the dirt on each and every one in the photo in great detail. Some of her utterings involved some quite saucy revelations. However, whilst her recollections were always based on actual facts she was never one for letting the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

She has a rather grumpy look in the photo apparently after having just been ticked off for getting cherry juice on her best dress.

Listening to radio4 on the way to work, 12 weeks or June is when they expect it to peak and then start dropping off. It's going to be a long haul, no one is going back to school until September at least, if at all this year.
I'm confident science will come to the rescue although not in time for some.
If science does come to the rescue, it will be at least a year.

Last edited:
My mother-in-law's neighbour's daughter (or maybe granddaughter) had her baby snatched away by a fox.

Our home backs onto a park and we have plenty of foxes in our garden. Because of Meg we fare better than our dogless neighbours, but foxes are a menace. I picked up one of their poos from our driveway yesterday. I'm glad I spotted it before Meg - she rolls in it!

View attachment 56370

Yes but is it bear proof ? 149E587A-A708-46A0-BAEC-383CCAA66B94.jpeg

Just remember what happened to Corky .... and his owner :shocked

Several farms just outside the M25 have sold out. It looks like I’ll have to go all the way to Maidstone unless we buy eggs and an incubator.

Anyone seen social media and the backlash from the caravan and motorhome club saying they are staying open considering all that is going on, absolutely disgusting and I for one will not be renewing my membership.

The Camping and Caravan Club are the same. But facilities will be closed.

I do not see the problem....you are required to keep a 4-5 metre separation anyway, so they are totally in accordance with government rulings.

Plus by keeping open, this gives us an opportunity to get away for a while and to enjoy our Cali.

Providing you have no symptoms and go prepared to adhere to the social isolating rules and have enough supplies on board then you should be ok. We still need to get some 'me time' whilst enjoying the benefits of fresh air and what nature provides.

On the first sign of any symptoms then get in your Cali and head home.

The National Trust and English Heritage are closing their properties but keeping open the grounds. Are you going to blacklist these too?

Last edited:
Got an MOT booked in a few weeks. Hopefully it will still be able to go ahead.
Then have to worry about who has been inside my Cali coughing and sneezing.
I have a small spray bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol perhaps will have to spray that all over and drive home with all the windows open. :Nailbiting

Also what if MOT inspection gets cancelled does that mean we cannot drive till everything is back to normal.

Head West ad North, the likelihood of anyone having breathed the trans-Atlantic air before you is substantially diluted / reduced.

Also what if MOT inspection gets cancelled does that mean we cannot drive till everything is back to normal.
I suspect the Police will not be too worried for now, they will have other fish to fry what with Pubs, Restaurants being required to close but not complying and the odd fracas at supermarkets as we continue to panic buy. Your insurance company on the other hand and in the case of an accident may take the view that no MOT means your insurance is invalid.
Have you thought about a mobile or "collect and return" service? They may still be operating. Is there one near you?

I got my Cali MOT'd on Thursday no problem and I'd be surprised if many testing stations are closed at the moment.

The Road Traffic Act continues to apply, the public have a right to be kept safe from potentially un-roadworthy vehicles and having a vehicle on a public road without an MOT continues to be offence. I guess the police might not prosecute if you convinced them you were a key worker trying to get to work, but otherwise I'd say they probably would.

Driving without an MOT is a non-endorseable offence though (ie no licence points), and the starting point is a Band A fine (50% of a week's income).

I understand that HGV test centres are closed for 3months

Yes HGVs and PSVs are excused testing for three months, that's a special case as I understand it.

Got an MOT booked in a few weeks. Hopefully it will still be able to go ahead.
Then have to worry about who has been inside my Cali coughing and sneezing.
I have a small spray bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol perhaps will have to spray that all over and drive home with all the windows open. :Nailbiting

Book it in for an earlier date?

Like many I had been planning a road trip with the family over a few weeks of the Easter break. Given most if not all of the trip would include France and Northern Italy this is now a no go. What are other people doing or not doing? Staying put and putting trips on hold or travelling within UK? Cheers
Already done it. Been in Morocco for a while. On a site in Ouarzazate. Lock down here but allowed to go to food shops. Carrefour ok for food and more importantly, beer and wine!0A063AA8-F013-45F2-9C2D-D7170868723A.jpeg

Like many I had been planning a road trip with the family over a few weeks of the Easter break. Given most if not all of the trip would include France and Northern Italy this is now a no go. What are other people doing or not doing? Staying put and putting trips on hold or travelling within UK? Cheers
Brits travelling in France must carry an attestation which states they are travelling to their main residence ie home. Anyone trying to flout the law will be fined on the spot. Anyway all campsites and hotels will be closed. You should also think seriously about not travelling in the UK. Govt policy will probably be in place locking down all but essential travel by then anyway. Stay at home.

View attachment 56370

I think this is taking self-isolation to the extreme, fair play to the man.:thumb

Back