Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Design Changes and/or New Options for the California.

If options then would dashcam could just not be offered in Austria.

Don’t understand why a simple bit of German engineering couldn’t work out how to hold chairs in the bottom half. It’s not like the current arrangement has the chairs popping out of the glass area.
We don’t all stay in the U.K. or any European country that allows them.

Many people fit and want the VW Bike Rack, whether as has been discussed they use it or not, so an opening rear window would have limited appeal.
It couldn’t be an electric up/down type because of the chair storage and probably increased weight so would have to be a lift and open, so would have to be used from the outside only and possibly not on the central locking system.

Electric awning, using the manual crank is such a pain in the arse, and I had terrible problems when I tried to electrify our awning.

It would be a bonus if the canopy could be made of flexible solar panels.
Thule/Omnistor don’t make electric versions of the smaller awnings so I can’t see that happening. Anyway, All exercise is good for you :thumb

Mine has space for an LPG tank where the AdBlue tank is missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has space for an LPG tank where the AdBlue tank is missing.

So it’s not a T6 then. Plenty of aftermarket companies do them. VW aren’t going to do it because it would mean re-designing the water tank etc: if you saw the video of the assembly of the California it just wouldn’t happen unless it was part of the Kitchen / storage unit.

So it’s not a T6 then. Plenty of aftermarket companies do them. VW aren’t going to do it because it would mean re-designing the water tank etc: if you saw the video of the assembly of the California it just wouldn’t happen unless it was part of the Kitchen / storage unit.
Petrol?

Hadn’t thought of that. But I doubt if there is a space where the Adblue tank is, probably taken up by the larger fuel tank.

Yes petrol, it has an 80l fuel tank which is also an option on the diesel I understand. It even has the AdBlue filler point moulded in.

As it is the Cali is a pretty good compromise, but a LWB option with a loo would be nice. The downstairs bed could slide forwards using the gap to the front seats, which with the additional length would give enough space at the rear. The roof could be hinged at the front to give sufficient headroom at the back for a shower.

Even a SWB version might give a usable space for the loo using the front hinged/bed slid forward arrangement.

Swap the levers on the rear bench seat, so the one that opens the drawer is near the door and the one that moves the seat is next to the cupboard. I open the drawer more often than moving the seat, often while stood in the doorway and it’s a pain to lean right across the van. Minor thing but it bugs me.

Last edited:
Oh - and no virtual iPad type instruments or controls, analogue dials and real knobs and switches please (these will soon be an extra cost option on most cars.!).

I’d like to see a better blind arrangement for the sliding door.

How about some basics...
Better suspension
A trim panel in the back that does something useful instead of the one meant for the caravelle
Front seats that swivel and have height adjustment
Ability to open boot from inside
Drawer for under drivers seat
A version properly converted for UK Market with door on the other side

I like the sliding door on the drivers side. Actually think it’s a bonus not having to walk around the van constantly.
If I park on a road where the door opens onto traffic (not often) I get my little one to walk to the front passenger door to get in and out.

I would like the tailgate to open higher. Ive been very close at times, to knocking my head on the tailgate.

Front swivel seats that also have other adjustments for height, etc. Electronic adjustments, with a memory function for easy repositioning when sharing driving. ( If the memory also adjusted the mirrors, steering wheel and seatbelt height and everything else that is 'wrong' after Mrs S has driven it, that would be a bonus;))

How about some basics...
Better suspension
A trim panel in the back that does something useful instead of the one meant for the caravelle
Front seats that swivel and have height adjustment
Ability to open boot from inside
Drawer for under drivers seat
A version properly converted for UK Market with door on the other side
There was a thread a while back about a mod done to the tailgate to open it from the inside.
Was a simple push switch wired in parallel to the release switch in the tailgate lock.

Apparently simple to do but a pain to get the chair trim off.

Alan

Let’s discuss possible Design Changes or New Options that could be incorporated in a future version of the California.
I’m talking about things that would enhance the vehicle for All, not just you personally.
eg: A manual roof. It is already available on the Beach and the Coast but VW Marketing haven’t decided to sell that version in certain countries, SO NOT for discussion.
******************************************************************************************

We have Cruise Control which maintains speed, but something on our Smart Car would , I think, be of benefit.
A Speed Limiter. The Smart has Cruise Control but also a Speed Limiter. So you can set a Limit, say 30mph, and have full throttle control upto that speed but no more. Useful in towns etc. On the Norwegian roads I travelled today the limit was 80 kph, but the road was so windy/undulating it was very easy to exceed and impossible to use Cruise Control as you were constantly switching it back on as you braked for sharp corners.

Handbrake. I’m not a fan of Electric Handbrakes, too many possible problems, but surely a better system could be devised. Possibly a Dashboard System, suitable for LHD and RHD Vehicles.

Leisure Batteries. A Lithium Battery could replace the 2 AGM Batteries and give more useable power, probably at no additional cost. In the Ocean the space freed up could be used to replace the toolbox behind the back seat.

Solar Panel Option

Speed limiter is an option on the Marco Polo £156.00 I think.

I'd make the roof space about 3cm deeper so I could leave the quilt up there when I close the roof
As long as vehicle height remains under 2m. :thumb

Back