Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Design Changes and/or New Options for the California.

How about some basics...
Better suspension
A trim panel in the back that does something useful instead of the one meant for the caravelle
Front seats that swivel and have height adjustment
Ability to open boot from inside
Drawer for under drivers seat
A version properly converted for UK Market with door on the other side
What is wrong with the suspension?

Redesign the seats so they swivel easier, they really are a pain.

Redesign the seats so they swivel easier, they really are a pain.
NOOOOO.

The swivelling driver’s seat is my fail safe anti theft device.

Park.
Swivel front seat.
Move seat fully back.
Move steering wheel to rearmost lower position.
Raise armrests.
Recline to steering wheel.
Apply hand brake.
Lock and deadlock door.

External TV aerial /Satellite connection - fed up having to feed the cable through an open window.

Members don’t seem to grasp the intention of this thread and it is turning into a list of personal preferences.
Eg:
LWB - never going to happen because that would destroy the whole ethos of the California.
High top roof - as above
Move the Heater vents higher for the dogs sake. I’m sorry the California is designed for people. I don’t want to sit in the back with the heater on with a warm head and freezing feet. If that’s a problem then “make” a deflector or don’t take the dog or let it sit on the seat.
Any change or Option would have to be based on the Majority of customers who in fact live on the Continent and not in the U.K..

I’ve had an M4 on loan this week.
Jumping back in the van today I noticed how poor the dsg box is compared to the BMW autobox.
BMW SatNav and info systems in a different league and stop/start works as it should on the BMW.
It’s left me feeling a bit deflated and realising how poor the Volkswagen kit is in comparison.
VW really need to up their game...
Stop/start must have improved on the BMW as my previous one was exactly the same as the the Cali, same goes for my Wife's Citroen.

External 12 volt terminal.

We are currently camping on the Costa Brava. My DIY external socket is powering the fridge in the driveaway awning and lights under the wind out awning, in the driveaway awning and an external area for al fresco dining.

Darker material option for the seats/interior, including carpets, option. not a fan of hot leather in summer especially when in shorts.
T32 weight spec option especially on DSG 4M's.

Dark Interior option on Ocean
Startline Transporter paint options (Brighter colours)
Built in lining for bellows
Electric handbrake
Hydropheumatic / Air suspension incorporating self levelling, raising, lowering
Height adjustable front seats (as well as swivelling)

Members don’t seem to grasp the intention of this thread and it is turning into a list of personal preferences.
Eg:
LWB - never going to happen because that would destroy the whole ethos of the California.
High top roof - as above
Move the Heater vents higher for the dogs sake. I’m sorry the California is designed for people. I don’t want to sit in the back with the heater on with a warm head and freezing feet. If that’s a problem then “make” a deflector or don’t take the dog or let it sit on the seat.
Any change or Option would have to be based on the Majority of customers who in fact live on the Continent and not in the U.K..

What is the point of the thread then?

Stop/start must have improved on the BMW as my previous one was exactly the same as the the Cali, same goes for my Wife's Citroen.

It doesn’t kick in until the vehicle has fully stopped for a couple of seconds.
Faster to engage the engine when required to. Seems to work more seamlessly.

Make it possible to buy lhd models through UK dealers. When I buy one I hope to do 80% of travelling in the EU.

What is the point of the thread then?
What changes could be made to the California that would be popular and wanted by the majority that VW could introduce in the next model. Not Personal likes and preferences.
You buy a California because of what it is. If you aren’t keen on the interior colour you can buy seat covers etc and make it “your” own, but no one else might like it so VW aren’t going to market it.
Providing a larger Spare Wheel carrier to cope with the 18” wheels you can spec the California with might be popular so VW could provide it.
VW already provide HD anti-roll bars and Lowering Springs that you can spec , as they do for the Transporter but they aren’t going to provide Coilover springs and Bilstein Shocks because that is a niche market.
Same with a built in Propane Tank. The vast majority of customers are European and Campingaz is freely available in many European Countries.

So what changes would you like that would appeal to the majority of customers, not just you.

So far.
Speed Limiter - Standard
Lithium Leisure Battery, more power and less weight - Standard
Solar panel Option, as some owners might not want but many might.
Redesigned Handbrake/Seat turning mechanism - Standard
Height adjustable swivel seats - Standard, and probably possible if the Leisure Battery was replaced by a Lithium Battery.
Reposition the Safelock/Deadlock Inactivation Switch from the B Pillar.
Spare wheel carrier for 18” wheels or a SpaceSaver Spare.

Look at the DIY modifications that many have made/bought and fitted. Do you think any of those would appeal to the masses?

What changes could be made to the California that would be popular and wanted by the majority that VW could introduce in the next model. Not Personal likes and preferences.
You buy a California because of what it is. If you aren’t keen on the interior colour you can buy seat covers etc and make it “your” own, but no one else might like it so VW aren’t going to market it.
Providing a larger Spare Wheel carrier to cope with the 18” wheels you can spec the California with might be popular so VW could provide it.
VW already provide HD anti-roll bars and Lowering Springs that you can spec , as they do for the Transporter but they aren’t going to provide Coilover springs and Bilstein Shocks because that is a niche market.
Same with a built in Propane Tank. The vast majority of customers are European and Campingaz is freely available in many European Countries.

So what changes would you like that would appeal to the majority of customers, not just you.

So far.
Speed Limiter - Standard
Lithium Leisure Battery, more power and less weight - Standard
Solar panel Option, as some owners might not want but many might.
Redesigned Handbrake/Seat turning mechanism - Standard
Height adjustable swivel seats - Standard, and probably possible if the Leisure Battery was replaced by a Lithium Battery.
Reposition the Safelock/Deadlock Inactivation Switch from the B Pillar.
Spare wheel carrier for 18” wheels or a SpaceSaver Spare.

Look at the DIY modifications that many have made/bought and fitted. Do you think any of those would appeal to the masses?

Why wouldn’t the external 12 volt terminal fit that criteria, either as an option or standard?

Why wouldn’t the external 12 volt terminal fit that criteria, either as an option or standard?
Because I don't think they would want to drill a hole in the body work just for the California. Although as they make a cutout for the EHU maybe on that panel.

Because I don't think they would want to drill a hole in the body work just for the California. Although as they make a cutout for the EHU maybe on that panel.
They take/leave the whole roof off! Why would they not drill a hole?

I'd just like any new model not to rattle in the B post next to my right ear! It's not much to ask.

Any new VW model is only ever going to be a minor step change in design so most of the things that people have wished for just ain't gonner happen. You might get some new stuff that you don't need like a fancy Carlos Fandango dash display but an electronic hand brake and hot water? No chance.

Last edited:
Back