Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discussion regarding T6 ONLY roof corrosion

snowy55

snowy55

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I am starting this thread so T6 owners and potential T6 owners are made aware that the T6 is subject to roof corrosion.

Here are 3 photos taken underneath the seal on the raising section of the roof on a May 2016 T6 California Beach taken today after our first trip away in her. .

20170108_154817_zpsfis23xf1.jpg

20170108_154624_zpscnceydd4.jpg

20170108_154601_zpsznky53hr.jpg

Our much loved 2014 California SE was unsuccessfully repaired twice, the blistering quickly returned and it was booked in for a 3rd repair. We just could not bring ourselves to go through this all again and we made the difficult decision to part exchange it for the 2016 T6 Beach, thinking the problem had been cured. But obviously not!

So, our 2014 SE has it (three times), a loan 2015 SE had it and now our 2016 has it - the roof issue is still the same.

Remember folks when your warranty is up you're paying for your own repairs.

So yet again, we can either look forward to going to the dealers to register a fourth warranty claim for roof corrosion and then to go on a never ending list for an ineffectual repair but instead we are going to return the vehicle first thing in the morning and demand our money back! (See Consumer Right's Act 2015).

We have also cancelled the new T6 Beach we ordered on the 26th March, 2016 which is yet to be built!!!

Another VW will never darken our driveway again.

That sucks!

Unbelievable this problem hasn't been fixed. One of the reasons I stumped up the cash for a new T6 instead of a secondhand T5 is the roof issue.

I hope this is a one off, but I doubt it.

Good luck with your return.

Shocked to read this but not surprised at all, looks like all the T6 owners will be looking under their rubber seals in the morning.

Disgraceful to say the least.

Wow! This is terrible, that looks identical to the T5 corrosion so I can't see this being isolated. Guess you all need to check urgently

Looking at the pics closely there are 3 parallel lines in the paint. I wonder if the rubber seal was applied before the paint was properly dry and hardened which might have allowed moisture through to the metal underneath. It looks like the rust blisters are between the lines.

Looking at the pics closely there are 3 parallel lines in the paint. I wonder if the rubber seal was applied before the paint was properly dry and hardened which might have allowed moisture through to the metal underneath. It looks like the rust blisters are between the lines.

They all look like that.

I'm sorry to say I knew this might happen vw have no idea or care about getting this sorted. Why don't they put a barrier between the edge of the roof and the rubber seal that still has a metal band in it.

I'm sorry to say I knew this might happen vw have no idea or care about getting this sorted. Why don't they put a barrier between the edge of the roof and the rubber seal that still has a metal band in it.

Our old SE had corrosion on the under frame of the roof that is no where near any steel in the seal - so is it just badly applied paint all over the roof?

I know little of this but is it not possible to replace the seal with one that has no metal insert?
The world is full of rubber seals of pretty much whatever section you need. It most certainly is not rocket science to change an edge trim.

It won't stop or cure existing but it should stop it before it happens.

That is appalling.

I'm gutted for you Snowy. Dreadful.

@snowy55 , very sorry to hear your T6 has roof corrosion , but believe me your not the first and sure not the last T6 owner with bublled roof.
More than six months ago i wrote some words on page 130 of the corrosion tread.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/roof-corrosion-the-latest-updates.9000/page-130

I am not the Cali-wizard but the guy who told me those words i wrote ,that every Cali even T6 eventually is getting roof corrosion , sure is the Cali-wizard.
Been to the factory some time ago and to me it looks like VW has not did much to prevent the problem on the T6 , they are making it exact the same way as the T5 .
Why should they change , Cali's selling like hot cakes they could even sell more but that would mean building a new (read bigger capacity) Cali assembling plant and thats where the problem is imo. a new Cali assembling factory is not on VW wishlist so they just keep things as they where , building and selling Cali's as the used to.
They don't care about the roof corrosion as it is only a estetic issiue to them witch most Cali owners not even are aware of , yes us here on this forum are aware but thousend other Cali owners never heard of the problem and probally never wil .
The Cali owners i have come accros here in Belgium , non are aware of the roof corrosion!
When i told them they heard it for the first time.

Last edited:
This will probably sound like a really dumb question but does anyone have any photos of where on the vehicle I need to look for signs of this corrosion. The pictures above are quite close up and i'm not sure exactly whereabouts on the roof to start to look for this?

This will probably sound like a really dumb question but does anyone have any photos of where on the vehicle I need to look for signs of this corrosion. The pictures above are quite close up and i'm not sure exactly whereabouts on the roof to start to look for this?

All written in the 155page tread .
The edge of the elevating part of the roof , pull off the rubber and clean of the moist/dirt thats collecting in the rubber.( direct visible in the pitures of Snowy here above)
+ The front part of the roof , the part in front of the elevating section above the front seats , specialy the part where the plastic end caps of the Brandruprail are touching the paint.

Last edited:
I think it is the metal insert that helps it grip. But I'm sure vw could come up with a better design for the whole roof edge

VW does not ....
The repair does ...
They are apllying a tape arround the edge of the roof and then put the rubber back on so the alu roof and the metal in the rubber seal are not connected.

Guidance on how and where to check would be appreciated, also is there a way we can get the message out to other T6 owners?

@snowy55 can you just clarify the details of the van here. Your profile shows you have a 2014 T5 SE. The 1st post (and I assume photos) refers to a 2016 T6 Beach and then refers to an order placed March 16 but is yet to be built.

I think I'm right in thinking it's the middle one that's shown - and boy, that is bad corrosion for a 5 year old Cali, never mind a 5 month old one.

I trust you are keeping an eye on the front 'spoiler' over cab module :(

I am starting this thread so T6 owners and potential T6 owners are made aware that the T6 is subject to roof corrosion.

Here are 3 photos taken underneath the seal on the raising section of the roof on a May 2016 T6 California Beach taken today after our first trip away in her. .

Our much loved 2014 California SE was unsuccessfully repaired twice, the blistering quickly returned and it was booked in for a 3rd repair. We just could not bring ourselves to go through this all again and we made the difficult decision to part exchange it for the 2016 T6 Beach, thinking the problem had been cured. But obviously not!

So, our 2014 SE has it (three times), a loan 2015 SE had it and now our 2016 has it - the roof issue is still the same.

So yet again, we can either look forward to going to the dealers to register a fourth warranty claim for roof corrosion and then to go on a never ending list for an ineffectual repair but instead we are going to return the vehicle first thing in the morning and demand our money back! (See Consumer Right's Act 2015).

We have also cancelled the new T6 Beach we ordered on the 26th March, 2016 which is yet to be built!!!

Sorry to hear this. Clearly a great disappointent to you. On a personal level, I pick up a new vehicle in a few days and this is concerning. Not the worst thing in the world, but a potential issue I could do without. I will research the Act you refer to myself but until i do so, is it your interpretation such an issue will qualify for return of payment within a given time frame?

Just read a summary on the Act from which magazine. As usual with all things legal, never quite as clear cut as you may hope for! Well worth a read.

If anyone wanted to return a T6 with roof corrosion, I'd just park it on the dealer's forecourt, push the keys through the letter box and instruct a solicitor. I think you'd get a pretty quick payout.
VW struggling to fix a defect that emerged on a previous model is one thing, but to have claimed to have fixed it on the late T5's, and then to have launched a new model with the same fault is totally indefensible.

If anyone wanted to return a T6 with roof corrosion, I'd just park it on the dealer's forecourt, push the keys through the letter box and instruct a solicitor. I think you'd get a pretty quick payout.
VW struggling to fix a defect that emerged on a previous model is one thing, but to have claimed to have fixed it on the late T5's, and then to have launched a new model with the same fault is totally indefensible.
Common sense would say so but legislation is not that simple. I assume that once 30 days passes they, at their discretion, can have an attempt to fix the issue? Will research this more tomorrow and also speak with VWCS and ask if they acknowledge a T6 issue. I could not agree more with your comments re an historic issue raising it's head on a new model.

I know little of this but is it not possible to replace the seal with one that has no metal insert?
The world is full of rubber seals of pretty much whatever section you need. It most certainly is not rocket science to change an edge trim.

It won't stop or cure existing but it should stop it before it happens.

If you change the seal yourself to a different type then VW will not do any warranty work if any corrosion does occur.

Changing the seal now on our T6 is to late because it has already happened.

This may have been answered in the other bigger thread, but.....

If the roof is aluminium then the corrosion would just be on the surface, with the aluminium oxidising to aluminium oxide which would protect the aluminium from further corrosion. I.e it should never become a structural issue and if it only happened under the rubber seal, would it be an issue?

I wonder if it would be better if vw wrapped the ali roof instead of painting it.

@snowy55 can you just clarify the details of the van here. Your profile shows you have a 2014 T5 SE. The 1st post (and I assume photos) refers to a 2016 T6 Beach and then refers to an order placed March 16 but is yet to be built.

I think I'm right in thinking it's the middle one that's shown - and boy, that is bad corrosion for a 5 year old Cali, never mind a 5 month old one.

I trust you are keeping an eye on the front 'spoiler' over cab module :(

Sorry but I have not updated my profile.

We owned a 2014 T5 SE that had the raising roof repaired two times and the second repair failed after a couple of months.
We part exchanged the 2014 T5 SE in December 2016 for the May 2016 T6 Beach (8 months old) that is in the photos above.
Along side this In March 2016 we ordered a T6 Beach which still hasn't been built, this has now been cancelled.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer:thumb

Might be one issue for those visiting the factory to voice to their hosts.

Back