Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do you carry a spare?

During the height of the last storm I unfortunately picked up a puncture, all I had was the kit supplied by VW which helped me limp to the nearest tyre shop.

At the time I was surprised to hear the puncture would not be repaired, due to the white gunk in the wheel, I was fortunate enough though to have them source a replacement albeit not the same Continental.

So I ask, do you rely on the gunk, or do you carry a spare, if so, is it underslung, in the garage, or on a wheel carrier?
Buenos días
Yo soy partidario de llevar rueda de repuesto, he realizado la compra de kit elevación de rueda original, kit de herramientas original y una rueda de repuesto todo ello en diferentes sitios y rompiéndome un poco la cabeza ( por supuesto de segunda mano o prácticamente nuevo ) todo ello me ha salido por menos de 400€.
Ya que como dicen otros usuarios los botes de reparapinchazos te obligan a cambiar la rueda después.
Y si sufres un corte en la rueda en algún sitio que la grúa no llega ???

Buenos días
Yo soy partidario de llevar rueda de repuesto, he realizado la compra de kit elevación de rueda original, kit de herramientas original y una rueda de repuesto todo ello en diferentes sitios y rompiéndome un poco la cabeza ( por supuesto de segunda mano o prácticamente nuevo ) todo ello me ha salido por menos de 400€.
Ya que como dicen otros usuarios los botes de reparapinchazos te obligan a cambiar la rueda después.
Y si sufres un corte en la rueda en algún sitio que la grúa no llega ???
TRANSLATED:
Hello I am in favor of carrying a spare wheel, I have made the purchase of the original wheel lift kit, original tool kit and a spare wheel, all of this in different places and breaking my head a bit (of course second-hand or practically new) All this has come out for less than €400. Since, as other users say, puncture repair boats force you to change the wheel later. And if you suffer a cut in the wheel somewhere that the crane does not reach???

Last edited:
I had an argument with a salesman at Audi over a no spare wheel issue. His stance was the supplied repair kit can fix 90% of punctures to which I advised a spare wheel can fix 100%.

I always have a spare on all our vehicles and copper slip the wheels even on our Cali when it was brand new, I also check and lubricate underslung spare wheel carriers regularly and carry a breaker bar for the nuts.

I always carry a spare, have no faith in the repair kits.

I carry two of these. It’s water based so is easily washed from the tyre allowing a repair to be carried out.
Tyre weld has limitations. Is fine for a very small nail in tyre type repair (or similar), but not much more.

If the tyre blows or you receive a tear then do not even attempt to use tyre weld (or similar).

Also, as has been said, many tyre companies will refuse to repair a tyre when tyre weld (or similar) has been used.

Also tyre weld (or similar) is only warranted in order to get you to a near by garage for tyre replacement. It is not to be used to continue your journey.

We have cars in our family where the manufacturer has only provided their tyre weld type solution. I have sourced and carry a spare in all cars now...even if only a reduced width emergency wheel!

Back