Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

electric side door

I do hope that your new 6.1 is ok GG, do make sure you keep a close eye on the rear wheel arch as it seems that the door can settle over time, so even if it is not catching tomorrow it does not mean that in 3 or 4 months time it wont be.
Thanks, will do.

Hi WelshGas, Yes please if you manage to get a copy of the TPI please do forward copy to me please, either through this forum of via PM, which ever you feel appropriate.
I'm afraid I'm not a member of that `forum, I just did a Google search for the TPI and that Forum/Thread came up as a result. You could join if you wish or maybe one of the overseas members is a member already. Maybe @westfalia ?

I'm afraid I'm not a member of that `forum, I just did a Google search for the TPI and that Forum/Thread came up as a result. You could join if you wish or maybe one of the overseas members is a member already. Maybe @westfalia ?
Yes i am, what is he looking for, is it the re-coding of the sliding door?

Yes i am, what is he looking for, is it the re-coding of the sliding door?
On the link I posted one of the Posters, Post number 4, says he has a copy of the VW TPI and is happy to email it to anyone who wants it. As you are a member could you contact him and maybe post the TPI here or send it to @jjpoppy ?

Hi WelshGas, ok thanks, understand, and thanks for your assistance.

Van now booked in to VW centre (for a week) for them to seek to resolve! The centre claims that they have previously done all within the said TPI, and are in consultation with VW as to how to resolve. Lets hope that they get an answer by December!
Okay, sure, i can try and get it.
Yes please 'westfalia', that would be very helpful if you are able to provide a copy of the TPI, and it would appear that perhaps other members of the VW California Club will be interested in having sight of this document.

'westfalia', many thanks I will try and register to see if I can have access.

Just to keep you all advised as to the progress (or not) with our side door saga;

Our California is now booked in, again, to our local VW dealership/workshop, this time for a week, for them to repair/fix the issue. They tell me that they have already undertaken the advised works as in the above mentioned TPI.
They tell me that they are still waiting to hear from VW UK as to what to do?? (but assure me they will actively seek out what to do before they get my vehicle).

Whilst waiting for my dealership to get round to calling me back, and concerned with the possibility that perhaps some information is not being circulated from VW to their dealerships/workshops, I contacted VW UK asking for help.

Very promptly, and reassuringly, VW UK responded asking for additional information. Perhaps my California side door issue may now be on the way to being resolved?

Watch this space.

HI Jjp

I’ve been following this thread and have tried to look up the TPI for you with no real success.

I found the Erwin page previously, but I think that is a paid subscription

A previous member VW Guru ( Vw master tech) had posted several comments on previous threads on this wonderful forum and confirmed the TPI number but he didn’t get around to posting the details. VW Guru implied the fix was as simple as mid adjustment of the door (changing the angle of the slider when open)

Could you ask you dealer to email you the content of the TPI ? Or indeed VWcc ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Booked ours in finally with VW Sheffield.

Given all the posts above and those on other posts too, im readying myself for some mild longterm drama. :rolleyes:

HI Jjp

I’ve been following this thread and have tried to look up the TPI for you with no real success.

I found the Erwin page previously, but I think that is a paid subscription

A previous member VW Guru ( Vw master tech) had posted several comments on previous threads on this wonderful forum and confirmed the TPI number but he didn’t get around to posting the details. VW Guru implied the fix was as simple as mid adjustment of the door (changing the angle of the slider when open)

Could you ask you dealer to email you the content of the TPI ? Or indeed VWcc ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Perfectos,
Yes erWin is paid subscription, but you can buy by the hour if you wish, however having found comments on other forums as to difficulties with finding the required subject matter, and not seeing TPI's on the home page I have, for the time being, left erWin.

I will certainly ask the dealership if they will copy me the mentioned TPI, but I got the feeling that they did not wish to divulge the contents to me in my recent conversations. That may be due to the fact that the individual with whom I was speaking was not sure what information he could share with me, or it could just be that they have not previously undertaken all advised procedures within that TPI?

Sadly 'Sunstoner' it appears that those reporting on this issue of us on this forum seem to experience a protracted, several visits to workshops, experience. The first visit for our van was January of this year, (although I do accept Covi-19 held up the proceedings earlier this year).

My advice would be to photograph not only the rear wheel arch area, but also inside the door frame of the sliding door and the internal frame of the actual door, mine came back with paint chips to both where I am guessing the door and frame came into contact whilst they 'adjusted' the door. Small chips I accept, but on a vehicle that cost us over £50K, with less than 5K miles I was disappointed. I have touched the chips up (at my expense), but will be aware for this next visit!

As I said to the engineer at my local VW workshop, "I try to look on the bright side - there are some who are spending over £70K on their vehicle and experience the same issue!"

Hi Perfectos,
Yes erWin is paid subscription, but you can buy by the hour if you wish, however having found comments on other forums as to difficulties with finding the required subject matter, and not seeing TPI's on the home page I have, for the time being, left erWin.

I will certainly ask the dealership if they will copy me the mentioned TPI, but I got the feeling that they did not wish to divulge the contents to me in my recent conversations. That may be due to the fact that the individual with whom I was speaking was not sure what information he could share with me, or it could just be that they have not previously undertaken all advised procedures within that TPI?

Sadly 'Sunstoner' it appears that those reporting on this issue of us on this forum seem to experience a protracted, several visits to workshops, experience. The first visit for our van was January of this year, (although I do accept Covi-19 held up the proceedings earlier this year).

My advice would be to photograph not only the rear wheel arch area, but also inside the door frame of the sliding door and the internal frame of the actual door, mine came back with paint chips to both where I am guessing the door and frame came into contact whilst they 'adjusted' the door. Small chips I accept, but on a vehicle that cost us over £50K, with less than 5K miles I was disappointed. I have touched the chips up (at my expense), but will be aware for this next visit!

As I said to the engineer at my local VW workshop, "I try to look on the bright side - there are some who are spending over £70K on their vehicle and experience the same issue!"

For a company selling millions of vans with sliding doors, this seems such a pithy issue in which you'd expect VW to simply solve in one visit. Its hard to fathom it really is.

Thankyou for the tips btw. Photos will be taken. Im holding onto hope that a resolution can be found for us all so we can move on enjoy our new rides.

We forked out top whack for our T6 having favoured the family friendly transport over something I've lusted after with an 'M' badge since I was a young'un, I still dont regret it one bit but I just hope VW customer support dont change my mind.

I've got everything crossed for this one.

Well mine is a 2006 and it’s got the same fault, so they’ve had 14 years to sort it out
That’s why I’m removing everything to do with the electric door,
I can’t wait to be able to choose the amount the door is open, rather than opened or closed,

Well thought I should keep others advised as to the progress with attempting to resolve my door problem - In she went (the van) on Monday 14 December to VW Robinsons Norwich, VW UK had assured me that they would be working closely with VW Robinsons to resolve the matter - that all sounded good - as you would expect as this was a warranty task I was provided with a vehicle - pm Wednesday 16th I collect my California - advised a new door card fitted and the door adjusted, no need to fit new rollers - temporary and scruffily applied, (hanging down over wheel arch, not cut to fit?) protective tape on wheel arch to check if no door longer catching wheel arch. Thursday 17th I use side door for first time, good news it seems not to be catching wheel arch - bad news it fails to shut, it almost closes then re-opens! most time it does this twice, sometimes it takes four goes to shut the door!! Thursday 17th pm I telephone VW Robinsons advise of the problem, understandably the person I speak to wants to speak to the engineer - he says he will call me back either the same day or first thing Friday. - No call back Thursday, Friday morning comes and goes no call back so I call VW Robinsons and make contact again - He was going to call me (good news), The engineer does not think it is anyway connected with the work they have been undertaking earlier this week! - I seek confirmation of this assessment, pointing out that I have experienced no problems with this door shutting prior to their workshop adjusting this door the day before it first occurred.
Initially there are no possible appointments to the workshop until18 January - we have a discussion about the matter, including questions from me like 'Is it safe to use on the road?' and 'Will it damage the vehicle to use the door?'
I am given an appointment for 8.30am tomorrow morning (Saturday 19 December), but they have no vehicles for me so I will have to wait - making a guess this will just be a assessment I have book it in for 18 January 2021 to have it fixed (the door not closing that is) - it is already booked in for 15 February 2021 to resolve the door catching!