Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France in August?

All the vaccine does is train your body to effectively fight the virus. It doesn’t stop you getting it, and if you do get it, it won’t stop you spreading it.

However, it seems that if you are vaccinated you are less likely to get it, and if you do get it you are less likely to be hospitalised, and if you are hospitalised you are less likely to die.

It really is excellent value for money.
Exactly. From personal and clinical experience: if you ‘catch COVID’ after being double vaccinated, you are likely to just have something resembling cold and flu. My taste was gone for a few days and felt a bit achey. That’s it.

I don’t think they will. Shapps is talking with France about an app for travel so hopefully it’ll be a mutual thing to get tourist cash flowing.

The NHS QR codes don’t yet work in the French scanners via the NHS app or once imported into the Tousanticovid app. Creates some initial issues, but so far the print outs and ID have been sufficient.
Fridge wasn’t checked for saucisson.

Just tried to scan the COVID passes tonight at a venue in Perpignan! Didn’t work sadly, luckily the organisers were kind.
Paper copy as a back up probably a good idea.
By the way the non English speaking french here same as any french, very welcoming as long as you at least make an effort.

and of course the big news yesterday is that people from England will no longer need to quarantine on arrival from France or take an day 8 Covid-19 test as from 4am Sunday 8 August, provided that you are fully vaccinated. You must still book and take a day 2 Covid-19 test.

Doesn't apply to people returning to Wales yet :rolleyes:

Return to UK antigen test sorted in local pharmacy, no appt needed. Can be done in three days before departure service leaves. Result certificate is emailed 20 mins later and can also be imported into the Tousanticovid app.

Odd how now no time difference between PCR & Antigen Tests for return to UK.

from GOV site

Type of test​

You must make sure that the test provider you choose can meet the standards for pre-departure testing.

The test must meet performance standards of ≥97% specificity, ≥80% sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml.

This could include tests such as:

• a nucleic acid test, including a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or derivative technologies, including loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) tests
  • an antigen test, such as a test from a lateral flow device (LFD)
It’s your responsibility to ensure the test meets the minimum standards for sensitivity, specificity and viral load details. You must check with your test provider that it meets those standards.

You may not be able to travel if the test does not meet these standards. It’s your responsibility to ensure you get the right test that meets the above requirements.

The testing is farcical. You can do a test in the uk before you leave, do 48 hours in France & use your test result from before you left the Uk to prove you are ok to come back in.

Return to UK antigen test sorted in local pharmacy, no appt needed. Can be done in three days before departure service leaves. Result certificate is emailed 20 mins later and can also be imported into the Tousanticovid app.
Just to clarify from the Gov Website, the test needs to be done within 72 hours before arrival, not 72 hours before departure.

Any 2nd day tests after arrival are based on calendar days rather than 48 hours. This makes a difference if you are on a Eurostar that gets in at 23.50 rather than one at 00.10

Actually the gov.uk website clearly states. The test to return is in the 3 days before you start the travel on the service you are travelling not 72 hours
You must take the test in the 3 days before the service on which you will arrive in England departs. If you are travelling on Fri, you can take the test on Tue.

2nd day test does not have to be on day 2 it can be on day 2 or before, so technically arriving off the Eurostar if it was open you could walk off the train and go straight to testing centre and do it there and then.

Actually the gov.uk website clearly states. The test to return is in the 3 days before you start the travel on the service you are travelling not 72 hours
You must take the test in the 3 days before the service on which you will arrive in England departs. If you are travelling on Fri, you can take the test on Tue.

2nd day test does not have to be on day 2 it can be on day 2 or before, so technically arriving off the Eurostar if it was open you could walk off the train and go straight to testing centre and do it there and then.

I wonder it badly.
I think we are saying the same thing - just its the final bit of travel has to depart within the 72 hours. Ie if driving for 2 days from Spain via France then catching the train. The test needs to be within the 72 hours of the train departing, not 3 days before we pack up & leave where we are staying in Spain.

Doing the day 2 test early is fine, just saying if you rock up at Folkestone on Friday at 23.50 your day 2 is Sunday, if the train arrives 15mins later your Day 2 is Monday.

Actually that’s not correct.
if yr train is 2359 on fri, you can take your test any time of the day on Tue. It’s not 72hrs.
So yes has to be within 3 days of the train, not where you leave if travelling that way.
As for day 2 test on passenger locator form you put the scheduled arrival time not actual. And fact you have to have yr test already booked before travel arriving late does not matter a jot, that’s why test can be taken on or before day 2.

Yes - within 3 days of your cross border service departing, gives the tues-fri example to ensure all is clear

Yup, we sweated over the 72 hrs or 3 day thing,it’s good to know it’s clear as mud. Think it’s with us for a good while yet to be hones.
hopefully next year it will settle down and travel will just be dependent on vaccination status.

Outbound Eurotunnel yesterday was quiet and hassle free (except my effort to save a few quid by not declaring the reg and booking it as high car didn’t work). There was no checking for food.

Has anyone done one of these pre departure to UK tests where you just email a photo of your passport alongside your test device. Seems odd that’s allowed because people who’ve tested positive simply have to use some drops of water to get a negative result to travel home.

AC600D29-A4E4-46E2-B932-1251593E5CDE.jpeg

Interesting. I didn’t realise you could do that. I thought it had to be a French (other countries are available) test.

Outbound Eurotunnel yesterday was quiet and hassle free (except my effort to save a few quid by not declaring the reg and booking it as high car didn’t work). There was no checking for food.

Has anyone done one of these pre departure to UK tests where you just email a photo of your passport alongside your test device. Seems odd that’s allowed because people who’ve tested positive simply have to use some drops of water to get a negative result to travel home.

View attachment 83377
Not sure if this is self administered, but if so I’m pretty sure it won’t be valid for travel.

Not sure if this is self administered, but if so I’m pretty sure it won’t be valid for travel.
The Day 2 tests are self administered at home, what would the difference be?

The Day 2 tests are self administered at home, what would the difference be?
No idea I’m afraid. Apart from the fact that one is French requirements for travel and one UK requirements I guess! But the French ones are easy to get in a local chemist and for us cheaper than the day 2 UK one at home. Though I’m sure you can shop around.

No idea I’m afraid. Apart from the fact that one is French requirements for travel and one UK requirements I guess! But the French ones are easy to get in a local chemist and for us cheaper than the day 2 UK one at home. Though I’m sure you can shop around.
Actually the pre departure test in France and the day 2 in UK are of course both UK travel requirements aren’t they!

Linked to the pre-departure test, what would happen if you were positive? You would need to isolate in France? But where? You would not be allowed in campsites, hotels, shops, bars, etc so I’m assuming they would house you ( and close contacts) somewhere - COVID hotel?