Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France in August?

View attachment 83438

Just got back from a lap of France over 10 days. Few points:

• Folks were very friendly, didn't feel like we were imposing at all!
  • The COVID stuff was straightforward, but lots to consider and gather! We ended up getting our pre-return tests at the Nantes airport testing centre without appointment
  • All restaurants require the proof of vacination via the TousAnticovid app. This is quick and easy to setup, and worked every time
  • The van worked a treat, this was our first big Europe trip in our Coast (factory-ordered, acquired Nov 2020) and we did not run in to any issues
  • Did a couple of wild camps, again no issues, very peaceful
If anyone has any questions please ask.
That’s a big lap for a ten day trip!! The engine cool down at all? :oops:

Am heading back down to south west on Monday, will update with any issues if by any unlikely chance I encounter any.
using tunnel this time as opposed to airport so let’s see

So we didn't go to France in August. I was the original poster.

We camped a week in Dorset. We had a great campsite with wonderful views. But it rained and it was so windy that if you stood up, your chair blew over! We spent so much time inside the van it was unbelievable. 4 of us. We swam in the sea once with short wetsuits I had bought.

We then went to Norfolk where we had hired a house. With 2 young kids this was an easier holiday.

When we got home we asked the kids what were their favourite bits of the 2 holidays. They mentioned 3, all from the Dorset camping week, including swimming in freezing sea and playing a really silly cardgame we bought in the shop and played every night. They often amaze me. Every day is a school day, as people say.

We were fortunate to have holidays I know. I will always remember 2021 as our staycation year and cannot wait to get back to France. And with a tunnel booking I need to use before March it will hopefully be before August 2022.

It really is very easy and well worth the £100 you’ll spend on an inbound pre departure and a day 2 test just to get away from the sodding British weather, packed campsites and rip off prices. Life seems completely normal in France. I’m glad we came.
Glad to read this! I’m heading off to France on Wednesday. Finish work at lunchtime then heading straight to Folkestone. I had Cornwall sites booked but I’ve heard it is so busy and as you say the British weather.... I am a bit nervous as it’s my first trip out of the U.K. but I can’t do a seven hour journey that should take four. The tests seem straightforward

The UK campsites are gouging people, charging in some cases triple the previous rates.we won’t forget.

The UK campsites are gouging people, charging in some cases triple the previous rates.we won’t forget.

We booked late. £20 per night on grass, no EHU. Good clean facilities plus children’s playground. Cornwall site in walking distance of the beach, Devon site 30 min drive to beach.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable.

We are in France. Journey over was straightforward. Our NHS vaccination certificate accepted in Lieu of the french app which we never got working. Prices as usual- not silly rip offs like in Uk - not camping but in an airBNb.

We’ve had a lovely trip to France …… paperwork is straight forward and getting the lateral flow test prior to leaving at local village pharmacy also very easy. 25 euros. Obviously only easy if you test negative! We took the same precautions as we do at home in our currently very busy holiday resort in UK.

We’ve had a lovely trip to France …… paperwork is straight forward and getting the lateral flow test prior to leaving at local village pharmacy also very easy. 25 euros. Obviously only easy if you test negative! We took the same precautions as we do at home in our currently very busy holiday resort in UK.
Hi @Seasider. We have some Lateral Flow Test kits here at home. Could they be used for the return test or would we have to have it done and documented at a French facility?

Hi @Seasider. We have some Lateral Flow Test kits here at home. Could they be used for the return test or would we have to have it done and documented at a French facility?
For return trip to the UK you need a commercial lateral flow test. You are not allowed to used the "free" NHS tests.

We used this company, very efficient. £29 for each LFT. Email a photo of the result, plus your passport, to them and the certificate was emailed back within an hour.

www.c19testing.co.uk

Hi @Seasider Thanks for the update on the lateral flow test. Can you provide a bit more info please. Did you have to pre book the test ? What documentation did you have to show the pharmacist to get the certificate. Thanks

Did a PCR test last time I was here, think lateral flow at half the price from the pharmacy has to be the way ahead.

I've just come back from three weeks in France. Everything went smoothly. On the way back I stayed at this campsite which is around two hours from Calais Camping du Vivier aux Carpes

I had my antigen test done by the local village nurse for €20 cash which was arranged by the campsite owner. Before you fill out the passenger locator form you need to book your day two test for when you return to the UK as the test provider will give you a code which has to be entered into the passenger locator form. As I travelled via Eurotunnel I uploaded the antigen test result and the passenger locator form to the Eurotunnel website which has to be verified. When I arrived at Calais I went straight through with no problems.

Quote Reply

Hi @Seasider Thanks for the update on the lateral flow test. Can you provide a bit more info please. Did you have to pre book the test ? What documentation did you have to show the pharmacist to get the certificate. Thanks
You don’t need to show the pharmacy anything just give them your details for the certificate. I did reserve a slot but that’s because it’s a very small village chemist. All other pharmacy’s you just turn up. It’s as straight forward as going in to buy paracetamol! You then get a certificate but also a text and can upload the document which I then added to my passenger locator form. Really simple. Some people at the tunnel took longer as they hadn’t uploaded it.

Would add that only covid stressful part of our entire trip was stopping at the motorway services on the M3 heading home! Made France seem so safe.

But don’t forget most pharmacies in France are shut in Sunday’s.

We bought the tests in the uk and took them with us. Test is self administered and you take a photo of the result & passport & they email a certificate back to you within 12 hours.
We used Cerulean Health & it cost £116 total for 4 of us.

No you can’t use the nhs ones. Has to be done by health professional in France and meet certain requirements. Click on the covid 19 info tab on the eurotunnel page it’s really helpful. I did take nhs ones with me though to test myself throughout the trip. Not necessary tbh but if I was going to test positive I’d rather know sooner rather than later!

For the four of us the lateral flows cost £85 in total. Standard French pharmacy price I believe.

You don’t need to show the pharmacy anything just give them your details for the certificate. I did reserve a slot but that’s because it’s a very small village chemist. All other pharmacy’s you just turn up. It’s as straight forward as going in to buy paracetamol! You then get a certificate but also a text and can upload the document which I then added to my passenger locator form. Really simple. Some people at the tunnel took longer as they hadn’t uploaded it.
Thank you @Seasider for the updates it is really useful. We are travelling back from Portugal with a dog and we did not want any long delays in trying to arrange flow tests in Calais. Very reassuring kind regards. Thanks