Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France in August?

I’m sooooo glad we cancelled again for this August. Listening to what’s going on still we will really look forward to having an Extra Special long holiday in the van next year. Having a few days away in a campsite in the Brecon Beacons from tomorrow, weather looks good and don’t have to take any £100 Covid tests...

I gave up trying to figure out if I could get back to UK and then return to CH without endless worry and hassle, not to mention cost.
In the end we had the UK property we sold pack by professionals and now it'll be shipped and arrive here in a couple of weeks.
Not as cheap, but less stress than the alternative for sure.

I’m sooooo glad we cancelled again for this August. Listening to what’s going on still we will really look forward to having an Extra Special long holiday in the van next year. Having a few days away in a campsite in the Brecon Beacons from tomorrow, weather looks good and don’t have to take any £100 Covid tests...
Once you step out of plague-and-fear island, the world will look much more normal.
I ve just been flying through EU countries - no tests just vaccine QR to show.

Actually the pre departure test in France and the day 2 in UK are of course both UK travel requirements aren’t they!
Glad you said that. I was confused.

So what are the cheapest easiest tests, really tempted to go to southern Italy for 3 weeks in September.

So what are the cheapest easiest tests, really tempted to go to southern Italy for 3 weeks in September.
We thought similar. It is the thought of testing +ve on way home and having to all isolate in French ‘Covid Hotel’ that is putting us off tbh. Maybe a small chance but ………

We paid £78 for our Day 2 tests. Seems about average.

Express testing drive through hearthrow £69 two weeks back

Once you step out of plague-and-fear island, the world will look much more normal.
I ve just been flying through EU countries - no tests just vaccine QR to show.
That’s ok but things can change any time then you end up spending 10 days in one of the worst hotels at a cost of £2250 each.. No thanks I will wait till next year.

Express testing drive through hearthrow £69 two weeks back
But you need a ref number from a pre booked test to complete your passenger location form prior to returning to the uk.

That’s ok but things can change any time then you end up spending 10 days in one of the worst hotels at a cost of £2250 each.. No thanks I will wait till next year.
I believe in France it is 17 days for close contacts.

I’ve paid £40. Government site has a list of recommended suppliers.

It really is very easy and well worth the £100 you’ll spend on an inbound pre departure and a day 2 test just to get away from the sodding British weather, packed campsites and rip off prices. Life seems completely normal in France. I’m glad we came.

It really is very easy and well worth the £100 you’ll spend on an inbound pre departure and a day 2 test just to get away from the sodding British weather, packed campsites and rip off prices. Life seems completely normal in France. I’m glad we came.
We agree that it is all very easy and worth £100 to have a great holiday. But the risk is what happens if your inbound pre departure test is positive? From what I have read (and it takes a bit of looking) it could mean up to 17 (for close contacts) days in a covid facility. That is something I do not want even if the risk is small.

1629713821476.png

Just got back from a lap of France over 10 days. Few points:

• Folks were very friendly, didn't feel like we were imposing at all!
  • The COVID stuff was straightforward, but lots to consider and gather! We ended up getting our pre-return tests at the Nantes airport testing centre without appointment
  • All restaurants require the proof of vacination via the TousAnticovid app. This is quick and easy to setup, and worked every time
  • The van worked a treat, this was our first big Europe trip in our Coast (factory-ordered, acquired Nov 2020) and we did not run in to any issues
  • Did a couple of wild camps, again no issues, very peaceful
If anyone has any questions please ask.

View attachment 83438

• The COVID stuff was straightforward, but lots to consider and gather! We ended up getting our pre-return tests at the Nantes airport testing centre without appointment
  • All restaurants require the proof of vacination via the TousAnticovid app. This is quick and easy to setup, and worked every time
  • The van worked a treat, this was our first big Europe trip in our Coast (factory-ordered, acquired Nov 2020) and we did not run in to any issues
Hi @CC44853 good trip.
Can I ask how you load your UK vaccination information into the TousAnticovid App?

Hi @CC44853 good trip.
Can I ask how you load your UK vaccination information into the TousAnticovid App?
Sure,

Once you have the TousAnticovid app installed and open:
  1. Under health pass, tap "Open my wallet"
  2. Then click the "Add a certificate" button at the bottom
  3. Then you have the option of scanning your vaccination certificate or importing it from a file, I chose the latter as I have all my travel documents in a folder in PDFs
And that's it, the TousAnticovid app recognises the certificate (via the embedded QA code I believe)

Then when asked you tap the certificate (it goes full-screen and increases the brightness automatically) in your wallet and the person requesting the proof will scan and verify it.

Sure,

Once you have the TousAnticovid app installed and open:
  1. Under health pass, tap "Open my wallet"
  2. Then click the "Add a certificate" button at the bottom
  3. Then you have the option of scanning your vaccination certificate or importing it from a file, I chose the latter as I have all my travel documents in a folder in PDFs
And that's it, the TousAnticovid app recognises the certificate (via the embedded QA code I believe)

Then when asked you tap the certificate (it goes full-screen and increases the brightness automatically) in your wallet and the person requesting the proof will scan and verify it.
Many thanks @CC44853

Writing this from plage de Cabasson. Understand everyone has a personal choice and personally I am so glad we decided to come.
Everything straightforward so far* and feels very normal. Interested in the predeparture test mentioned above. Also worth noting that I’ve used the qr code from my second jab to gain access to hotels, restaurants and malls - and this has worked fine much to my surprise!
* the only issue being a 2am campsite evacuation due to the forest fire in Var!

Writing this from plage de Cabasson. Understand everyone has a personal choice and personally I am so glad we decided to come.
Everything straightforward so far* and feels very normal. Interested in the predeparture test mentioned above. Also worth noting that I’ve used the qr code from my second jab to gain access to hotels, restaurants and malls - and this has worked fine much to my surprise!
* the only issue being a 2am campsite evacuation due to the forest fire in Var!
Hi @Winston Rumfoord Was the evacuation just people or vans/motorhomes/caravans too?

View attachment 83438

Curious as to the pre-departure testing. They must take note of who you are etc. My point being, if you test + do a crack team of Le SWAT descend on you and ship you off to L’Auberge du COVID.

Hi @Winston Rumfoord Was the evacuation just people or vans/motorhomes/caravans too?
Everything from where we were staying. Gendarme and pompiers were fantastic. Everyone at our site was evacuated to a gymnasium - very happy to be able to sleep outside in the van!

Curious as to the pre-departure testing. They must take note of who you are etc. My point being, if you test + do a crack team of Le SWAT descend on you and ship you off to L’Auberge du COVID.

Heh I wouldn't have thought so.

They hand you back the results while you wait in a waiting area (roped off bit, outdoors)
Then you get "It's OK" in classic french style. I don't think we overheard anyone get a positive while we waited. I imagine it would be a "It's NOT OK" and you're then left to deal with the situation by yourself. It's not an official doctors surgery/hospital after-all, just a test centre.

In Spain we don’t need to use the app.
It’s very similar to last year, QR codes at restaurants instead of menus handed out, masks worn everywhere inside by everyone 6 years and older. On the streets if there’s only a few people around just hang the mask off one ear, when it gets crowded put it on properly. Eating is mostly outdoors and tables have definitely been spaced out more.
Here we don’t have police controlling numbers on beaches unlike last year, but people are trying to sensibly distance.

This is in a upmarket quiet 99.9% Spanish resort, I doubt it is the same in Benidorm.