Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France in August?

We've got to be careful with the 5 year average going forward as the 5 years now includes a year of covid. would be better off calling it the 5 years 2014-2019

I would hope the excess deaths will get to a negative figure as surely a large number of the frail people that would normally have died this year died last year.

We are currently under the 5 year average

Mike

We are currently under the 5 year average
emoji106.png

Mike
Yes but thankfully influenza virtually non-existent this year. This may come back to bite us next winter as herd immunity will have reduced and vaccine effectiveness may be more limited.

To understand why 100% Covid is not a definable entity it will help perhaps if I explain the death certification process in the UK.

Many will have perhaps seen the form for registering a death for a deceased relative.

In the case of someone with Covid 19 most patients expire from Interstitial pneumonitis or other organ failure caused to the body’s immunological response to Covid 19.

This term eg “Interstitial pneumonitis” will appear as #1a on the death certificate (“The disease or condition that directly leads to death”)

In section 1b details of any disease or condition which led to 1a are entered- so in this hypothetical case we would put “Covid 19 “ since this was the cause of the interstitial pneumonitis that killed the patient.

In section 1c there is space to complete any disease or condition that led to 1b.

In section 2 we list other significant conditions that “contributed to death but are not related to the condition actually causing death” So here we might put for example Diabetes mellitus, or COPD.

I hope this helps clarify why the term “100% Covid” is not a defined medical entity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To understand why 100% Covid is not a definable entity it will help perhaps if I explain the death certification process in the UK.

Many will have perhaps seen the form for registering a death for a deceased relative.

In the case of someone with Covid 19 most patients expire from Interstitial pneumonitis or other organ failure caused to the body’s immunological response to Covid 19.

This term eg “Interstitial pneumonitis” will appear as #1a on the death certificate (“The disease or condition that directly leads to death”)

In section 1b details of any disease or condition which led to 1a are entered- so in this hypothetical case we would put “Covid 19 “ since this was the cause of the interstitial pneumonitis that killed the patient.

In section 1c there is space to complete any disease or condition that led to 1b.

In section 2 we list other significant conditions that “contributed to death but are not related to the condition actually causing death” So here we might put for example Diabetes mellitus, or COPD.

I hope this helps clarify why the term “100% Covid” is not a defined medical entity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, my dad’s death certificate says Covid-19 was the cause of death (which it was) and then lists all of his underlying conditions.

Just ordered short wetsuits for all the family from Decathlon. We might make it into UK waters after all.
Be careful with Decathlon sizing, we have always found the kids stuff comes up much smaller than expected. Maybe French kids are tiny.

Here in France we are not in lockdown and haven’t been in lockdown since December 15th, 2020. Some of the regions, like where I live, have had extra restrictions put in place recently. The ‘variant anglais’ first appeared over here towards the mid/end of December and as you all know it is very contagious. Macron has said all along that we need to learn to live with the virus. A full lockdown again would be the last resort to try and control the virus. I think that the French would welcome you all. My french friends really are confused why the UK decided to leave the EU, but c’est la vie. The problem with you coming here, from what I read, is that the UK Government might not allow you out??!!

Here in France we are not in lockdown and haven’t been in lockdown since December 15th, 2020. Some of the regions, like where I live, have had extra restrictions put in place recently. The ‘variant anglais’ first appeared over here towards the mid/end of December and as you all know it is very contagious. Macron has said all along that we need to learn to live with the virus. A full lockdown again would be the last resort to try and control the virus. I think that the French would welcome you all. My french friends really are confused why the UK decided to leave the EU, but c’est la vie. The problem with you coming here, from what I read, is that the UK Government might not allow you out??!!
Exactement.
2 weeks quarantine in 2020. I do not want to pay to do it in a hotel in 2021.

Be careful with Decathlon sizing, we have always found the kids stuff comes up much smaller than expected. Maybe French kids are tiny.
Yes I could just get into mine but wouldn’t have been able to swim as couldn’t move my arms. Luckily all 4 swapped for size bigger!

Yes I could just get into mine but wouldn’t have been able to swim as couldn’t move my arms. Luckily all 4 swapped for size bigger!

Oh I quite agree :shocked

Not just decathlon: I have found since lockdown many manufacturers are obviously trying to recoup loses by making clothes smaller. I've had to go a size bigger on everything! The blighters! Even my existing clothes seem to have shrunk ......

With now a Eurotunnel booking, a ferry to Spain and a £50 deposit on a Dorset campsite all on the same day, I’m bemused by all this.
I’m pretty resigned to a UK summer holiday but it will be the first one in 12 years. I suppose Spain may be ‘green’ but I’m not that jazzed on £960 for tests (£120x2x4). And with the suggestion of a published amber watch list, you’d have to be brave to go anywhere on it.
I suppose wealthier families will fly to Greece and USA and have a jolly nice time.

With now a Eurotunnel booking, a ferry to Spain and a £50 deposit on a Dorset campsite all on the same day, I’m bemused by all this.
I’m pretty resigned to a UK summer holiday but it will be the first one in 12 years. I suppose Spain may be ‘green’ but I’m not that jazzed on £960 for tests (£120x2x4). And with the suggestion of a published amber watch list, you’d have to be brave to go anywhere on it.
I suppose wealthier families will fly to Greece and USA and have a jolly nice time.

I know a lot of families that will be looking at you in your Cali and thinking "it's alright for them, at least they can get away in their camper" :D

The whole thing is chaos. I've just resigned myself to accepting that what we used to call "normal" is not going to exist for some years to come and just stay home, stay safe and accept I've got my health, my life and my Cali.

It's tough.

Last edited:
Comes as no surprise, slightly surprised international travel is to allowed so soon. We approve of the New Zealand model. We took the decision back in Oct 2020 that we would stay in the UK for 2021 and support UK businesses that have had such a torrid time over the last 12 months. Has saved a lot of stress re holidays. There is so much to see and do in the UK, it is a special place. Outside of summer high season, which we avoid even in "normal" years, we are well booked for 2021. Looking forward to our get aways and helping out the UK economy.

Comes as no surprise, slightly surprised international travel is to allowed so soon. We approve of the New Zealand model. We took the decision back in Oct 2020 that we would stay in the UK for 2021 and support UK businesses that have had such a torrid time over the last 12 months. Has saved a lot of stress re holidays. There is so much to see and do in the UK, it is a special place. Outside of summer high season, which we avoid even in "normal" years, we are well booked for 2021. Looking forward to our get aways and helping out the UK economy.
Not a truer word said.

We are tied to school holidays, & I'm stuck with a Villa booking in Spain deferred from last year, Ive got flexible Eurotunnel tickets but my insurance only pays out if either Spain or Uk stop travel. If its France thats the problem we are stuffed.

The 3 over 18s travelling have all both had covid & been vaccinated & if its like last year ( we are staying in the same property) sanitising, social distancing & masks were all taken seriously both on the beach & in the restaurants and shops. I would rate the risk of us either getting infected or infecting others as extremely low.

If we were talking about easyJet flights & 2 weeks in a high rise in Benidorm I think the level of risk would be totally different.

I’m not that jazzed on £960 for tests (£120x2x4).
The family doctor speaking on BBC radio this morning said that the base cost of these tests was £2.
Who is making the obscene profit? Even Grant Schapps thinks that these costs should be reduced.

We have had our California since 2009 and live 100minutes from Eurotunnel. Our holidays in France are spectacular.
I love camping and sitting outside. Rain is fine but with two primary aged children, as soon as it gets cold, camping becomes a damage limitation exercise.

We haven’t used the heater in our van for about 7 years because we camp where it’s warm. I can survive 1 year in the UK but if we had to camp here regularly, then our much loved van would be on the market.

We are incredibly privileged, but cannot afford to go to Greece/USA/Maldives without selling our Cali.

The family doctor speaking on BBC radio this morning said that the base cost of these tests was £2.
Who is making the obscene profit? Even Grant Schapps thinks that these costs should be reduced.
Looks like going abroad at £240 each for testing is doing our bit to prop up the UK economy!

I once read that half the pleasure of any holiday is just not being at home. I think that’s true. But if I rate sitting in my garden as 1 and going here as 10,
(Our kids still rave about this place)
I would struggle to rate any UK campsite experience as higher than a 3!

I once read that half the pleasure of any holiday is just not being at home. I think that’s true. But if I rate sitting in my garden as 1 and going here as 10,
(Our kids still rave about this place)
I would struggle to rate any UK campsite experience as higher than a 3!

I would rate Lake district Easter 2019 as 10/10 perfect weather & were not expecting it.
St Davids Wales August bank holiday 2020 as 10/10 - again good weather & a high spot in an awful year.

On the other hand Cornwall August any year we've tried 1/10 due to weather

Ferry meadows CAMC anytime. A huge site but in two parts, one side being a lovely mostly grass place. In the country park, heritage steam railway next door, boating lakes, 10 miles from Rutland water with all sorts of kids activities, historic cathedral in Peterborough if that's your thing.

Being with kids in dismal, wet weather and no indoor activities around is just so miserable. Distant memories now but still makes me shudder.

Eating dinner on camping chairs at 7pm and then playing Happy Families or Guess Who outside as the sun goes down, wearing shorts and sandals, is the stuff memories are made of.
Luckily we have 12 happy years of memories to sustain us through 2021! Maybe they’ll be a heatwave, first week of August. Plus I’ve bought wetsuits and thicker sleeping bags.

Whatever did we do when we were growing up, pre California, pre cheap foreign holidays. How did children of years gone by survive?

As kids we were always offered Scarborough, the Lake District or London. I recall we usually shouted “London”, possibly because we thought the food was best in London. My kids base most of their decisions on food also.
Whenever I asked them to rate campsites, I didn’t understand their responses until I realised I had to filter out what ice-creams were available where.
When I say “offered” I think we rarely got what we asked for.
I recall I replied “Jersey” often. Bergerac was on the tv. Never been to Jersey.
It was 1988 before I went abroad, but NOW I LIVE MINUTES FROM THE TUNNEL!!!