Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France in August?

Yes just the pre sailing PCR and the 2 day PCR after return as was the case with France pre the 19th.

As with France any country can change rapidly, just to keep uncertainty rife.

With UK figures ramping up UK may end up on the majority of Red Listings by other Countries.

Or pre sailing Lateral Flow Test, cheaper !

Or pre sailing Lateral Flow Test, cheaper !
Yes, I found that it was possible to buy one here and do a Video Link for Certification. Not much use for me as French house has very unreliable telephone/data reception.

For entry to France, if fully vaccinated, then no test required from 18 July.
Haven't spotted that. One of those under the Radar changes.

Last edited:
How does one tolerate death?
Start with traffic, we know peope, young and old die in trafic, yet we allow it. Smoking, alcohol, motocross, etc etc. If we where to take unneccesary deaths in all ages to zero we would start elsewhere that is for sure.

Start with traffic, we know peope, young and old die in trafic, yet we allow it. Smoking, alcohol, motocross, etc etc. If we where to take unneccesary deaths in all ages to zero we would start elsewhere that is for sure.
Smoking, alcohol, motocross. Bring it on!

Leaving covid restrictions aside, what's the big attraction of France in August. Every French family and their chien head south in August and it's often way too hot as well.

Depends where you are headed....but generally the campsites are amazing compared to most (but not all) of ours, you don't have to go far to get good weather, more space, quieter roads, refreshing culturally and less people with crap tattoos.

Last edited:
Depends where you are headed....but generally the campsites are amazing compared to most (but not all) of ours, you don't have to go far to get good weather, more space, quieter roads, refreshing culturally and less people with crap tattoos.

We have finally settled on Devon and Cornwall for our two weeks at the end of August. But for us the big lure of France is better campsites with decent swimming pools, great bread in the morning and cheap meals out.

Leaving covid restrictions aside, what's the big attraction of France in August. Every French family and their chien head south in August and it's often way too hot as well.
I’d take being too hot over being rained on. Not sure if you recall holidaying in Autumn 2020. I was flooded out of pooley bridge and dodged storms in Coniston.

I think it’s meant to be more of a generic “Europe this summer”.

So we can enter France and travel around it with no perceived risk of contracting/spreading Beta around France and yet we can’t come back here with/without it? Am I missing something or do we just have a bunch of morons in charge?

So we can enter France and travel around it with no perceived risk of contracting/spreading Beta around France and yet we can’t come back here with/without it? Am I missing something or do we just have a bunch of morons in charge?
The latter - inmates took over!

The latter - inmates took over!
Your comment was obviously before The Interview last night or you wouldn’t have asked the question...

suspect the Harwich - Hoek of Holland ferry (actually the other way) is going to be doing a roaring trade this year. We have family coming across that have swapped from Eurotunnel return to the ferry.

Having talked to a few people recently about their holiday plans, it seems that many only consider going abroad to be a proper holiday. Whilst we too enjoy foreign holidays they are problematic at the moment. So problematic that many like us, have put them on hold. So instead, why not take this opportunity to holiday in Britain. There are few places more ravishing and varied than the British Isles. I find it terribly sad when someone tells you, "I've never been to Yorkshire or the Lakes or Scotland". I only use those locations as examples as they are the more well known tourist destinations but every part of the UK has stunningly beautiful and varied landscapes and scenery as well as amazing places to see and things to do. We recently spent a springtime break in Herefordshire, a place we've been visiting for decades. Herefordshire isn't really somewhere most people would think of as a holiday destination and long may that continue. Being there at springtime was a real privilege and such an uplifting experience. It was beyond stunning.

So rather than clambering to escape "Dear Old Blighty" why not embrace it instead. Go and explore a part of the UK you are unfamiliar with. It will surprise and delight you. Hopefully things will have eased and you can go back to touring abroad next year.

Last edited:
Having talked to a few people recently about their holiday plans, it seems that many only consider going abroad to be a proper holiday. Whilst we too enjoy foreign holidays they are problematic at the moment. So problematic that many like us, have put them on hold. So instead, why not take this opportunity to holiday in Britain. There are few places more ravishing and varied than the British Isles. I find it terribly sad when you someone tells you, "I've never been to Yorkshire or the Lakes or Scotland". I only use those locations as examples as they are the more well known tourist destinations but every part of the UK has stunningly beautiful and varied landscapes and scenery as well as amazing places to see and things to do. We recently spent a springtime break in Herefordshire, a place we've been visiting for decades. Herefordshire isn't really somewhere most people would think of as a holiday destination and long may that continue. Being there at springtime was a real privilege and such an uplifting experience. It was beyond stunning.

So rather than clambering to escape "Dear Old Blighty" why not embrace it instead. Go and explore a part of the UK you are unfamiliar with. It will surprise and delight you. Hopefully things will have eased and you can go back to touring abroad next year.
Couldn't agree more. We spent last week all over the Yorkshire Dales (800 square miles), North York Moors (500) and ending up in the White Peak. I was expecting it to be crowded but actually not much at all considering it's July. So many truly spectacular landscapes, Bronte-esque (and Wallace-and-Gromitic) villages, great pubs with proper beer, what more to ask?

Having talked to a few people recently about their holiday plans, it seems that many only consider going abroad to be a proper holiday. Whilst we too enjoy foreign holidays they are problematic at the moment. So problematic that many like us, have put them on hold. So instead, why not take this opportunity to holiday in Britain. There are few places more ravishing and varied than the British Isles. I find it terribly sad when you someone tells you, "I've never been to Yorkshire or the Lakes or Scotland". I only use those locations as examples as they are the more well known tourist destinations but every part of the UK has stunningly beautiful and varied landscapes and scenery as well as amazing places to see and things to do. We recently spent a springtime break in Herefordshire, a place we've been visiting for decades. Herefordshire isn't really somewhere most people would think of as a holiday destination and long may that continue. Being there at springtime was a real privilege and such an uplifting experience. It was beyond stunning.

True but also lots of families that are split and have not seen each other for up to 18 months. With ageing relatives getting some time together is important so for some, travel has to happen.

Perfectly simple. Going abroad is 90% about the weather. I’m fully aware of all the Uk’s attributes but if the weather isn’t hot and sunny then it’s simply not a holiday as far as I’m concerned.