Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge Permanently switched on

if your going away, you need the fridge on permanently anyway so just go and deal with it on your return?
But.......when the fridge is on its on max.....that's how we discovered the problem - most of the the fridge contents were frozen. So yes as a last resort but not ideal.

Sure, you could just turn off the CP when you go to sleep in that case.
Good idea, hadn't thought of that (doh!).
Lets see how the dealer gets on, they have had my Cali overnight as they couldn't find the problem yesterday and no news so far today so I am expecting a second visit when I get back. :(

Good idea, hadn't thought of that (doh!).
Lets see how the dealer gets on, they have had my Cali overnight as they couldn't find the problem yesterday and no news so far today so I am expecting a second visit when I get back. :(
We still haven't sorted ours. It's very intermittent, either not on at all or runs continuously & freezing everything. Currently fuse 19 is out! Another trip to dealer is booked. In the meantime we are using a cool box plugged into the socket by the sliding door. Can anyone confirm please that this runs off the leisure batteries as we don't want to be unable to start the van when we leave a festival site on Monday morning!

We still haven't sorted ours. It's very intermittent, either not on at all or runs continuously & freezing everything. Currently fuse 19 is out! Another trip to dealer is booked. In the meantime we are using a cool box plugged into the socket by the sliding door. Can anyone confirm please that this runs off the leisure batteries as we don't want to be unable to start the van when we leave a festival site on Monday morning!
Yes. The socket in Drinks Holder powered from Leisure Battery on my T5.1.

won't matter, the only thing that will stop is it automatically putting it back up if it sags, but you wouldn't expect that on new rams.
On my Control Panel it will not shut down with Roof Up. Just says Roof Open. May be different on T6.

On my Control Panel it will not shut down with Roof Up. Just says Roof Open. May be different on T6.
Interesting, I missed the point that you meant you can't rather than shouldn't.
Mine is up at the moment, I'll go out and try it..

You're absolutely right, it won't let you.

Plan B then @Jabberwocky leave the fridge slightly ajar and have some free cooling in the van :)
How long do you think the fridge flatout will last without hookup? We are going to Welland Steam Rally so a full 48 hours.

That might be the limit, you are welcome to borrow my portable 100W plug-in solar panel? That might help a bit.
Not keen on running my batteries down to the limit. Thanks for offer Loz. We are going with a couple of friends and I'm going to try and blag some space in their portable fridges. As a back stop we are making some pre-cooked meals and we'll have to rely on the beer tent for other sustenance!

Not keen on running my batteries down to the limit. Thanks for offer Loz. We are going with a couple of friends and I'm going to try and blag some space in their portable fridges. As a back stop we are making some pre-cooked meals and we'll have to rely on the beer tent for other sustenance!
We have a portable fridge freezer, its an Engle, we normally use it as freezer you are welcome to borrow it and its mounting plate for the rails? 12 and 240v
scaled.IMG_3664.jpg

You're absolutely right, it won't let you.

Plan B then @Jabberwocky leave the fridge slightly ajar and have some free cooling in the van :)
I think it won't Shut Down when the roof is open because it will lose the Information as to whether the roof is Open or Closed and would get confused.

Update: Faulty fridge controller diagnosed. Part has been ordered but unfortunately on back order (non in UK). "Should be about a week". Will get by this weekend. Thanks for all help, comments and offers. Will update when new part fitted hopefully with a thumbs up.

Update: Faulty fridge controller diagnosed. Part has been ordered but unfortunately on back order (non in UK). "Should be about a week". Will get by this weekend. Thanks for all help, comments and offers. Will update when new part fitted hopefully with a thumbs up.

Pleased to hear this.

I suppose now you know the end is in sight you can "chill" a bit?

Sorry :( No need to throw me my coat .....

How long do you think the fridge flatout will last without hookup? We are going to Welland Steam Rally so a full 48 hours.
As an aside (although connected) we went to a festival and the fridge only lasted 24 hours because we accidentally left it on high. Dur!
How long do people find the fridge lasts when set at 1 or 2 when not on hook up? 3 or 4 days? Tx

As an aside (although connected) we went to a festival and the fridge only lasted 24 hours because we accidentally left it on high. Dur!
How long do people find the fridge lasts when set at 1 or 2 when not on hook up? 3 or 4 days? Tx

We use my fridge as a freezer when I tow my Sisters caravan and flat out in this weather I can normally make my batteries last into the third day. Setting to 3 allows it to run into at least double that.

Also depends on how often you open it, how cold the stuff is before being put in fridge and what the external temperature is. Three days without too much trouble. My fridge must draw more than GrannyJen’s!

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

My firdge (of my three day old cali) seems to switch on and off in its own time, unrelated to the control switch. Now my concern is that when I first got in the van for the demonstration and asked why the leisure battery was low (shouldn't it they be full as they are brand new I asked) and he told me it was normal and nothing to worry about (and then charged them up overnight when other repairs were being done), that this was in fact not normal, and because the fridge has been draining them for some time. Hope the batteries aren't damaged.

I guess they are under warrenty. I'll be sure to send the dealer an email, so at least it is catalogued. And I need to get the fridge fixed anyway. (although I'm away a month now.)

Hi jabberwocky. We too had intermittent problems with our fridge. One minute it worked, then it didn't. Following one of the forum threads I contacted and then visited Penguin Refrigeration in Havant, nr Portsmouth. They are familiar with the California / SE set-up and diagnosed a faulty control unit. VW Guru has already mentioned that there is a direct, live feed to the fridge from the battery and the control unit in effect just switches the fridge on and off. After discussion with the Penguin team I elected to by-pass the control unit and fit a separate switch and thermostat. The Penguin guys did this whilst I waited. I'm very happy with the outcome. The new fridge switch is fitted to the disc that you remove to get to the fridge. The new thermostat is mechanical and simple and I tweak it depending on what is going into the fridge. Penguin guys are here: http://penguinfrigo.co.uk

OK, still no news from VW about availability of new fridge control unit - that's an aside for the real reason for this update.
This is odd, very odd!
I decided to charge the leisure batteries today as they were showing 60%. In order to see the charge rate I needed to switch off the fridge. OK, the only way to do this, I thought, and see the control panel is to take the fridge fuse out. The fuse was warm as if it, the fridge, had been working. No surprise there but what happened next was. With the fuse out the fridge kept on working!! Was a faulty fridge controller the right diagnosis?
Can anyone explain that?

Last edited:
OK, still no news from VW about availability of new fridge control unit - that's an aside for the real reason for this update.
This is odd, very odd!
I decided to charge the leisure batteries today as they were showing 60%. In order to see the charge rate I needed to switch off the fridge. OK, the only way to do this, I thought, and see the control panel is to take the fridge fuse out. The fuse was warm as if it, the fridge, had been working. No surprise there but what happened next was. With the fuse out the fridge kept on working!! Was a faulty fridge controller the right diagnosis?
Can anyone explain that?
That’s a head scratcher for sure !

Back