Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fuel shortages France

We got back safe and sound sunday evening, but the situation around Paris clearly got worse. Starting from 1 hour south on the A10 we saw queues larger than 5 days earlier, Paris itself was sold out, and then almost 50% of petrol stations up to the border with Belgium were just out of any fuel. We're heading west of Paris in two weeks time, I'll keep the jerrycans in the trunk I presume ...

We returned from the middle of Switzerland yesterday, we fuelled up just before crossing the border back into France as a precaution. We kept off the Autoroutes and about 1 in 3 village fuel stations had Diesel with little queuing. When we got onto the A5 and then the A26 the Autoroute Fuel stations were a mix of no fuel or quiet with fuel to start with, then after Reims the situation got worse.

The autoroute signs were clear about what stations that had fuel and which didn't, however the stations that did, had large queues of HGVs filling their tanks. Supermarkets just off the A26 also had large queues of HGVs. Towards Calais on the A26, the last station on the route with fuel was about 90-100km away from the port.

Our approach was to just top up if and when we spotted an opportunity which meant we didn't need any fuel stops on the Autoroutes, so we put an extra 2 lots of 12 litres in and made it to Calais with just over 1/3 tank.

I found it very remarkable that TotalEnergies were offering diesel, if available, at discount rates everwhere. We'd see a TE station that sold diesel for 1.79 euro/L and then at the next stop an Esso station would charge up to 2.4 euro/L. Nice way of turning the public against the unions :)

I found it very remarkable that TotalEnergies were offering diesel, if available, at discount rates everwhere. We'd see a TE station that sold diesel for 1.79 euro/L and then at the next stop an Esso station would charge up to 2.4 euro/L. Nice way of turning the public against the unions :)
Total as a company are committed to a price reduction of 20c per litre for the Whole of September and October and 10c per litre in November and December off retail prices. So if there is fuel in their pumps and someone to serve it it will be at the promised discounted rate. When we were there through September the price was €1.60 per litre.

Back