Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

God save the Queen

blakeley

blakeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
As so often before, the Queen’s message carried symbolic power but was also a very personal statement of her feelings. There is no one more reassuring to rally the country in such unprecedented times as the Queen.

Proud to be British

Said from her ivory tower
No - but it is her second (or third, or forth) home. Her principal residence is undoubtedly Buckingham Palace. Why should it be one rule for the monarch and another rule for the rest of us?

I suppose she did leave Buckingham Palace shortly before the lockdown commenced, and the text of the law states:
During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.
And she could reasonably argue that she was living in Windsor Castle at the time of lockdown.

Actually I though her residence was Winsor Castle and Buck house is her office?
I can't make out which is her principal residence on the website. It sounds like Windsor Castle is mainly a weekend retreat.

Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace has served as the official London residence of the UK’s sovereigns since 1837 and today is the administrative headquarters of the Monarch.
Windsor Castle
A Royal home and fortress for over 900 years, Windsor Castle, the largest occupied castle in the world, remains a working palace today. The Queen uses the Castle both as a private home, where she usually spends the weekend, and as an official Royal residence at which she undertakes certain formal duties.

Windsor is the home, Buck palace is the pad in town for the working week.

On a more practical note, having worked at both, there are a huge number of people that live in flats in the palace, from memory there are something like 200 staff rooms Betty has kindly given them all access to the private gardens for exercise. The rooms are all in the one big house & complete segregation is quite hard.

At Windsor, the accommodation is more independent & its a lot easier to lock off the private apartments in the castle with HM and the few staff & keep others totally away. Also the majority of accommodation is dotted around the estate so if anyone were to get infected segregation is far easier.

I can't make out which is her principal residence on the website. It sounds like Windsor Castle is mainly a weekend retreat.

Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace has served as the official London residence of the UK’s sovereigns since 1837 and today is the administrative headquarters of the Monarch.
Windsor Castle
A Royal home and fortress for over 900 years, Windsor Castle, the largest occupied castle in the world, remains a working palace today. The Queen uses the Castle both as a private home, where she usually spends the weekend, and as an official Royal residence at which she undertakes certain formal duties.
Did she ever have a problem getting her kids into the right local school?

Good afternoon,

As a German (whit Irish Citizenship) I thought her speech was very good and, as mentioned above, better and more impacting than many speeches from politicians.

Her family was not spared by the virus, so she spook from first hand experience. Say what you want - I like her.

Regards,
Eberhard

The one thing that annoyed me about her Speech - the media had to release and comment on the Speech before it was broadcasted. Why couldn't they just have waited until after.

The one thing that annoyed me about her Speech - the media had to release and comment on the Speech before it was broadcasted. Why couldn't they just have waited until after.

I fully agree. On the BBC I have heard first that there will be a speech from the Queen. So far so good, but in the next sentence they already discussed parts of the speech - almost a week before.

I guess it is the times we live in. I thought things will be discussed the minute after it happened (football games etc.), but now it has to be discussed even before the event.

I am getting old..

Happy California,
Eberhard

Didn’t have much effect on the viewing figures of 24 million though. Mind you what else can you do when you are incarcerated.

Didn’t have much effect on the viewing figures of 24 million though. Mind you what else can you do when you are incarcerated.
Go for a walk, run or cycle. Go shopping. Go to work (ha ha). Attend a funeral (of a close relative). Go to the doctor. Take a pet to the vet (but not for a routine appointment). Move home (if absolutely necessary). Take shopping to a vulnerable person. Attend court.

Go for a walk, run or cycle. Go shopping. Go to work (ha ha). Attend a funeral (of a close relative). Go to the doctor. Take a pet to the vet (but not for a routine appointment). Move home (if absolutely necessary). Take shopping to a vulnerable person. Attend court.
Work on your Cali ;-)

As so often before, the Queen’s message carried symbolic power but was also a very personal statement of her feelings. There is no one more reassuring to rally the country in such unprecedented times as the Queen.

Proud to be British
Well said.

Well, I for one would have been more impressed if she'd apologised for her eldest son upping sticks and moving to his second home in the Highlands against government advice at the time, whilst symptomatic, with a full retinue of staff who then mingled with the local population. One rule them, another for us plebs.

Well, I for one would have been more impressed if she'd apologised for her eldest son upping sticks and moving to his second home in the Highlands against government advice at the time, whilst symptomatic, with a full retinue of staff who then mingled with the local population. One rule them, another for us plebs.
If you don’t understand why the Queen and Prince Phillip, aged 93 and 98 respectively, stayed in London and the Heir to the throne was dispatched to Scotland then their is no point explaining it.
Also the local health facilities are organised to provide whatever services are required when the Queen or Heir are in residence.

If you don’t understand why the Queen and Prince Phillip, aged 93 and 98 respectively, stayed in London and the Heir to the throne was dispatched to Scotland then their is no point explaining it.
Also the local health facilities are organised to provide whatever services are required when the Queen or Heir are in residence.
I understand that you have no wish to explain it, but I cannot fathom why Prince Charles could not have stayed in his principal residence in Gloucestershire.

No, you're quite right. There's no point in trying to explain it. There is no rational explanation for the notion of subservience to a particular family in a modern free thinking democracy.

No, you're quite right. There's no point in trying to explain it. There is no rational explanation for the notion of subservience to a particular family in a modern free thinking democracy.

Who says you have to be subservient to them.

Mike

Well, if you vote for Independence and self annihilation you can have a Republic with the " wee woman " as President
if she survives Alex Salmond.:kiss:kiss

Back